Summer in tv

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Too bad more people don't feel this way. Say hi to Phoenix for me. Don't forget to take a friend.
You must be having a bad day. I know youre not the mean person you are portraying. I hope things get better for you. God bless.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

Being of limited means and a wife that wants to sell our beautiful lake home in Minnesota 40 miles east of Fargo, to move to TV, I worry about the humid/hot summers. I golfed nearly 50 times in November/December in TV but wonder how that will be in the summer??
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Being of limited means and a wife that wants to sell our beautiful lake home in Minnesota 40 miles east of Fargo, to move to TV, I worry about the humid/hot summers. I golfed nearly 50 times in November/December in TV but wonder how that will be in the summer??
Here year-round except for 2-3 week vacation a couple of times a year, usually Vegas, but Europe last couple of years.. I love it here in summer. Play golf whenever you want and actually get into restaurants when you want to eat.
Never cancelled a tee time because of being too hot, have cancelled in winter because too cold.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Going back to a thread from six months ago. I asked our meteorology department to track The Villages weather for a two-week period last summer. The heat index exceeded Phoenix, almost everyday. Ill take 100 in Phoenix over 80 in TV, any day of the week. It really is the humidity that makes a day go from uncomfortable to unbearable. TV, or Central FL, is the last place I want to spend the hottest part of the summer. Thankfully, God blessed me with the ability and resources to get away for a few weeks. As for places to go? Any place further north of the equator than FL.
Phoenix is rarely as cool as 100 degrees during the day in summer.......Tucson which is higher in altitude than Phoenix is however
Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 AM

We stay here all year long and in the Summer we go any place we want because the snowbirds are gone, and no crowds at all.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

We just enjoy the uncongested state of TV when we can actually go to a restaurant or get on a golf course or drive without being scared to death. :-)
Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Phoenix is rarely as cool as 100 degrees during the day in summer.......Tucson which is higher in altitude than Phoenix is however
Youre absolutely right. 100 during a Phoenix summer would be considered a cold snap. I have a home in Scottsdale and as you know it gets very hot in the summer. Not enjoyable at all. However, you dont see the Heat Indexes in the 120s like you do in TV. One day in August it was a sizzling uncomfortable 108 in Scottsdale with a heat index of 105, TV was 90 with a heat index of 122. Its so clich to talk about dry heat, but the fact is it makes all the difference in the world.

When I was a poor college student in Daytona Beach I could not afford an apartment or a car with air conditioning. So perhaps Ive become a bit more sensitive to the FL humidity than most. I have no doubt there are those that love a hot humid day, I just happen to not be one of them. I like to spend my summers in neither AZ nor FL.

What did they do, in the south, before air conditioning???
Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Youre absolutely right. 100 during a Phoenix summer would be considered a cold snap. I have a home in Scottsdale and as you know it gets very hot in the summer. Not enjoyable at all. However, you dont see the Heat Indexes in the 120s like you do in TV. One day in August it was a sizzling uncomfortable 108 in Scottsdale with a heat index of 105, TV was 90 with a heat index of 122. Its so clich to talk about dry heat, but the fact is it makes all the difference in the world.

When I was a poor college student in Daytona Beach I could not afford an apartment or a car with air conditioning. So perhaps Ive become a bit more sensitive to the FL humidity than most. I have no doubt there are those that love a hot humid day, I just happen to not be one of them. I like to spend my summers in neither AZ nor FL.

What did they do, in the south, before air conditioning???
Where did you get the 122 heat index from? I have never seen a heat index in Florida above 112 and those days are rare. I agree that 100 in Az is more tolerable than a day in Florida at 92 but they both feel disgustingly hot. A day in AZ at 110 is still 110 even if it is dry.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Looks like the heat index reaches 122 at 90 degrees F, 90% humidity. NWS Heat Index

At 40% humidity it takes a temperature of 104 F to reach a heat index of 119. At lower humidities the temperature can go a bit higher before it reaches 120 or more.

Humidity makes a HUGE difference in the heat index.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-25-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Sage

We are lucky to have homes, cars, stores, restaurants all with AC. Many many pools to jump into, if you get up early lots of sports options. Very few bugs or mesquitos. "OFF" SEASON is really the best time in the villages, especially if you can afford to break up the summer with a vacation or two.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

We moved down here last May and spent much of the summer (after unpacking) either at the pool or in a/c in our house. I discovered I can tolerate heat & humidity better than snow and cold. To each his own.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Looks like the heat index reaches 122 at 90 degrees F, 90% humidity. NWS Heat Index

At 40% humidity it takes a temperature of 104 F to reach a heat index of 119. At lower humidities the temperature can go a bit higher before it reaches 120 or more.

Humidity makes a HUGE difference in the heat index.
I understand how it works but when have you seen it be 90% humidity while it is 90 degrees in Fla? If the humidity is that high the temp is not going to be 90 because it has just rained and the air temp has been cooled. Not saying it's not hot and humid here and as a life long Floridian I still hate summer in Fla. but it is not as extreme as some have said. Thank the good lord for John Gorrie.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
We just enjoy the uncongested state of TV when we can actually go to a restaurant or get on a golf course or drive without being scared to death. :-)
I agree.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-tv View Post
What percentage of folks stay year around?
I was told 60-80%?
Any estimates??
I would bet closer to 60% based on traffic.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
LOL.....but it's a dry heat!

"So is a pizza oven" said Johnny Carson.

Tags
summer, vacation, villages, permanent, residents, generally, stay, months

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.