Summer in tv

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
What did they do, in the south, before air conditioning???
I moved to Miami in 1953 and didn't have A/C until about 1965. We used lots of fans and didn't really know any better since we never had A/C. I went to schools that didn't have A/C but we opened the windows. I remember having Gym running around the field playing softball, soccer or whatever and then taking a shower and trying to dry off but couldn't sweating too much.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

Make no mistake it's hot here but you do get used to it if you try. Our a/c was set at 74 for May and June about the first of July we said man it's cold in here so up went the thermostat to 78 dropping down to 74 at night. We are from NE Ohio so we are used to the humidity. I played pickleball five days a week from 9:00. Till noon, came home showered took a nap and played golf on the championship courses at 6:00, all you can play for $5-$8. June July and half of August you can get 18 in Also we ate lunch at every country club on Saturdays, started in mid June at Legacy finished mid August at Orange Blossom, never had to wait for a table.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Platinum member

We stay here. Sweat a lot. Run away from thunderstorms.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 03-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Where did you get the 122 heat index from? I have never seen a heat index in Florida above 112 and those days are rare. I agree that 100 in Az is more tolerable than a day in Florida at 92 but they both feel disgustingly hot. A day in AZ at 110 is still 110 even if it is dry.
I got if from the airline I fly for with their $200 mill meteorology department and my meteorology background from my undergrad and graduate studies in aeronautical science. However, below is a quick layman’s chart. During the 2-week period, I had TV graphed, it reached a humidity of 100% EVERY day. If you use the National Weather Service you will find inputting a temp of 90 and 100% humidity gives you a heat index of 132.

There is more that goes into heat index. One can extrapolate a heat index using algorithms within the K-index vertical lapse rate. Anyway, a Heat Ind. Of 120+ is an almost daily occurrence during the summer in central FL.

Heat Index Calculation
Old 03-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
I got if from the airline I fly for with their $200 mill meteorology department and my meteorology background from my undergrad and graduate studies in aeronautical science. However, below is a quick layman’s chart. During the 2-week period, I had TV graphed, it reached a humidity of 100% EVERY day. If you use the National Weather Service you will find inputting a temp of 90 and 100% humidity gives you a heat index of 132.

There is more that goes into heat index. One can extrapolate a heat index using algorithms within the K-index vertical lapse rate. Anyway, a Heat Ind. Of 120+ is an almost daily occurrence during the summer in central FL.

Heat Index Calculation
And now you know why rent goes down by 75% after April
Old 03-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Heat Index Calculation
---
Old 03-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Heat Index Calculation
When it was 100 % humidity the temp wasn't 90 degrees......it might have been 90 earlier that day but to get 100 % humidity during the day in Fla it was caused by a thunderstorm recently passing over which kicked the temp down 15 to 20 degrees. I don't dispute that it's hot and humid in Fla but not to the extreme you stated.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index – Bert Sperling – searching for the Best Places

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...idity-july.php
Old 03-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Platinum member

I love summers here. Heat may be uncomfortable but cold for me is painful. I find it hot only in mid afternoons and jump in the pool. Otherwise I play tennis almost every morning and the evenings are usually nice with a breeze. We eat almost all of our lunches and dinners on the lanai - there are very few times when it is too hot. That said, the summer is long.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

I lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Az. Neb. Missouri, Illinois, New Mexico, And La and worked outside. I compare Florida to La. In August. Texas, Oklahoma to Az, the northern state in there own category. Hot is hot to me 100plus degrees was just as hot in Neb. As it was in Texas or Az. It was hot!

I find Florida in summer bearable up to about noon, after that I go in hiding till bout 6PM. Now that I am older I have to watch the sun from burning the skin which worst due to the angle of the sun down here. Another reason I go into hiding most summer days here in land of milk and honey where streets are paved in gold!

I never sweat so bad at 8am except here and La.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Sage

In Houston, it could be 100 degrees, 100% humidity for 30 days straight. Now that's hot! Never experienced that in FL.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Being of limited means and a wife that wants to sell our beautiful lake home in Minnesota 40 miles east of Fargo, to move to TV, I worry about the humid/hot summers. I golfed nearly 50 times in November/December in TV but wonder how that will be in the summer??
I don't see where anyone has answered your question. I'll share my thoughts about playing in the summer. First it is a lot less expensive! Make your tee times early. Start at 7:00 and you are done by noon on the slow days. Or take advantage of the late afternoon specials and begin playing at 5:00 pm. You may not get in 18, but the trade off is you are paying less. There has been numerous times I have passed number 5 on Lopez-Erin at 5:00pm and no one is playing.

It will be hot, but not unbearable. Take lots of cold fluids (non alcoholic) and you should be fine.

A buddy and I played Saddlebrook in 45 minutes teeing off at 1:00 pm. No waiting!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
When it was 100 % humidity the temp wasn't 90 degrees......it might have been 90 earlier that day but to get 100 % humidity during the day in Fla it was caused by a thunderstorm recently passing over which kicked the temp down 15 to 20 degrees. I don't dispute that it's hot and humid in Fla but not to the extreme you stated.
That is not correct. You’re re-writing every meteorology textbook I had in college. A thunderstorm, or rain, is not required for 100% humidity. For one, atmospheric pressure can cause the water droplets to be so small they stay suspended in air. Fog is one example of this, and there are other reasons for high humidity.

As humans, we have the great ability to adapt and that is what we do. Yea, it’s hot and humid in FL but we deal with it. However, I’ve spent some time in New Orleans for Coast Guard stuff and that place is brutal. Makes FL feel like the desert.

Meteorology is my wheelhouse I would welcome/enjoy a discussion. You can PM if you’d like cuz I think most here, or most anywhere, would find the subject quite boring. Brings a smile to my face that we have at least one person, other than me, that has an interest in this stuff.

And yes, when the humidity was 100% the temp WAS 90 degs. I still have some of the data for The Villages, FL:

7/28/2015 15:25:37
temp 88
humidity 100
precip 0
pressure 29.83
H-I 117

8/20/2015 15:58:23
temp 90
humidity 100
precip 0
pressure 29.88
H-I 122
Old 03-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Sage

Come to Canada (Ontario). It's beautiful in the summer.
The weather is comparable to March in The Villages. It cools off nicely most nights.
And the Canadian dollar makes travel there very attractive.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:09 AM

Ok
So if I am understanding this correctly
July and August are the least favorite months here when most of the birds fly north ✈️
Therefore these are the months when the least amount of people are in the villages ?
I assume the weather here in March and April is much cooler ☀️ and more desirable ⛳️
Closed Thread

Tags
summer, vacation, villages, permanent, residents, generally, stay, months

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.