Stained roofs in The Villages

Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM
Default Stained roofs in The Villages

Have you ever noticed the stained roofs in Th Villages? I have so I went to my best friend who was a CFO with some of the largest shingle companies. Below is his expert opinion!

It sounds like fungus growth, which is common on roofs in this part of the country. There are several ways to treat this and even some ways to prevent it from coming back. We actually made a fungus-resistant shingle by mixing copper granules in with the regular granules. As the granules oxidized, it created a chemical reaction that would kill the fungus. Some people put copper strips on their ridges to get the same effect. Some companies will wash the roofs with similar chemicals. Check with a reputable roofer for your options there.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is actually an algae. Pretty much all shingles used in the south are treated with copper to kill the algae. Unfortunately, it doesn't last forever and you may eventually see some black staining develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Have you ever noticed the stained roofs in Th Villages? I have so I went to my best friend who was a CFO with some of the largest shingle companies. Below is his expert opinion!

It sounds like fungus growth, which is common on roofs in this part of the country. There are several ways to treat this and even some ways to prevent it from coming back. We actually made a fungus-resistant shingle by mixing copper granules in with the regular granules. As the granules oxidized, it created a chemical reaction that would kill the fungus. Some people put copper strips on their ridges to get the same effect. Some companies will wash the roofs with similar chemicals. Check with a reputable roofer for your options there.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Ours was stained and someone mentioned calling the Villages Warranty Dept.; we did and since we were only the 2nd owner, it was cleaned and after 6 months it still looks like a new roof.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

I’ve had success in New England with a product called “Wet and Forget”. If it can and does take moss off of a asphalt shingle roof it should work here. I also used it on my concrete patio that had turned black, it’s doing a job there too. I just sprayed some on my driveway here in the Villages. The only downside it won’t work overnight, it needs 6 months to a year but it does work.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wet-and-For...over/999972902

Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Platinum member

If your home is less than 10 years old call the warranty dept and they will come out and clean it for free. It will only be done at no charge once.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
I’ve had success in New England with a product called “Wet and Forget”. If it can and does take moss off of a asphalt shingle roof it should work here. I also used it on my concrete patio that had turned black, it’s doing a job there too. I just sprayed some on my driveway here in the Villages. The only downside it won’t work overnight, it needs 6 months to a year but it does work.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wet-and-For...over/999972902
I use it on the siding and on the landscape block walls. Didn't have to pressure wash the siding for 1 1/2 years until the hurricane. I still get some staining behind the shrubs on the north side of the house, but I can wipe that off with a soapy rag. I believe they now have one with a hose connection that self mixes and is made for roofs. It can be applied from the ground if you don't want to get on a ladder and risk falling off your roof

Old 08-28-2019, 07:58 AM

The staining is algae and is not unique to TV. It is all over the northeast. I have been using "Wet and forget" for several years and it does a great job. Last year I used it on my home in TV , siding and sunbrella birdcage cover. The power shot attached to hose and shots up high so you don't need a ladder. The shutoff is difficult so I suggest using a hose shutoff between hose and power shot applicator.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:42 AM

Thanks...the Daily Sun should do a story on this problem!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Gold member

Our courtyard villa neighborhood had about 70 of our 80 villas re-roofed by the same contractor five years ago, and many of these roofs now have black stains on them. The shingles are 50 year CertainTeed Landmark shingles, and one of our HOA board members recently called their warranty department and learned that the stains are likely algea/mold, and are covered by warranty. We are now in the process of figuring out how to get the warranty work done. But clearly, CertainTeed is standing behind their product.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Most houses on our block had them washed last year. Call the warranty department they'll take care of setting up the appointment or contacting the cleaner for you

Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Thanks...the Daily Sun should do a story on this problem!
That will never happen, the POA might bring it up in one of their monthly papers though

Tags
roofs, granules, stained, villages, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.