Sumter County High Risk

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2020, 03:32 PM
Default Sumter county does have an obesity problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue View Post
I didn't know Sumter County had an obesity problem. Stll, according to the original article, you would need three of the risk factors to be considered a high risk.
Sumter Co.
Obese = 31%
Overweight = 24% (in addition to the obese %)
Healthy weight = 41%

FLhealthcharts.com

Last edited by BossLady; 07-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue View Post
There are really only two ways that we are going to "snuff out" this virus. Either by herd immunity or vaccine. And wearing a mask accomplishes neither.
I don’t like breathing in dust or other people coughs anyway so I’m ok with mask wearing. I don’t know what is going to help. I don’t trust any info I’m getting. I stay away from people. I wear a mask if I am forced out and I respect your space.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
Obesity is a risk factor. Check into it.
Sometimes I do prejudge people. Sometimes when they say me and mine are fat.

Actually, chubby is one of the problems of the U.S. Not just us Villagers.

We are high risk here in The Villages because;

We are older. Median age is 71.
We take medication, for things like gerd, for high blood pressure, for thyroid, for anxiety. We take them to make us healthier.
We don't exercise enough.

And we are fat. I don't think you had to come out and say it. 2020 is hard enough as it is.

Are you real skinny? Sigh.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sometimes I do prejudge people. Sometimes when they say me and mine are fat.

Actually, chubby is one of the problems of the U.S. Not just us Villagers.

We are high risk here in The Villages because;

We are older. Median age is 71.
We take medication, for things like gerd, for high blood pressure, for thyroid, for anxiety. We take them to make us healthier.
We don't exercise enough.

And we are fat. I don't think you had to come out and say it. 2020 is hard enough as it is.

Are you real skinny? Sigh.
I’m an Insulin Dependent Diabetic so I’m constantly managing weight, food, intake, exercise, mental and physical symptoms and my A1C. I’m not obese but it’s not because I don’t want a pizza, ice cream or decadent food. I’d love to eat whatever off the menu. I don’t because it’s a health risk for me. I’m not calling you out as fat. Many here post regularly about all the restaurants they are enjoying mid-pandemic.

I noticed a while back that a critical factor seemed to be weight When the photos of the (at the time New Orleans) deceased seemed to more often than not of big big people. A lady on News (in FL) just the other day was crying (and I felt her loss poor lady) that her ”healthy” teenage son who had been QTing religiously had died from Covid 19. The picture of him as a teen, he was obese. Strapped to a ventilator using extender straps. She stressed how healthy he was.

As mentioned I don’t know who is getting it right these days but this Doctor is one I watch as he gives briefs on stats daily and he discussed obesity yesterday. YouTube

It’s not PC to talk about obesity as a susceptibility for Covid 19 so it’s getting less attention than it should.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
I’m an Insulin Dependent Diabetic so I’m constantly managing weight, food, intake, exercise, mental and physical symptoms and my A1C. I’m not obese but it’s not because I don’t want a pizza, ice cream or decadent food. I’d love to eat whatever off the menu. I don’t because it’s a health risk for me. I’m not calling you out as fat. Many here post regularly about all the restaurants they are enjoying mid-pandemic.

I noticed a while back that a critical factor seemed to be weight When the photos of the (at the time New Orleans) deceased seemed to more often than not of big big people. A lady on News (in FL) just the other day was crying (and I felt her loss poor lady) that her ”healthy” teenage son who had been QTing religiously had died from Covid 19. The picture of him as a teen, he was obese. Strapped to a ventilator using extender straps. She stressed how healthy he was.

As mentioned I don’t know who is getting it right these days but this Doctor is one I watch as he gives briefs on stats daily and he discussed obesity yesterday. YouTube

It’s not PC to talk about obesity as a susceptibility for Covid 19 so it’s getting less attention than it should.
I had to kid you a little. I have so been enjoying my own cooking with probably better choices than if we were eating out. I try to do colorful and always include vegetable and/or fruit. We actually have been really working around the house and yard and both of us have lost a little weight. I just had to pull your chain a bit. Stay well.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Default Summer 2020

Carrot sticks and laps around the desk in my home office. Summer 2020!
Old 07-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
According to an article in the usnews, (I attempted to cut and paste the link below), Sumter County, the main home of the Villages, is among the highest risk counties in the US for Covid-19. It states that an estimated 48% of residents have three or more risk factors, more than any other county. Kind of scary, be smart and stay safe.

Access Denied

Edited to note that the above link seems to work even though it states that access is denied? Not sure what's up with that.
From the story: "the population most at risk of not being able to endure the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic."

Not to be confused with the risk of catching the virus.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM

There are really a very limited number of ICU beds in this county too, a poster enlightened me to this grim fact. Currently only 9 ICU beds available in Sumter County with only of 24 ICU total according to clickorlando.com.
Yikes. We really can’t afford to get it wrong as a community.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, risk, sumter, estimated, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.