Sumter Landing updates

Old 05-16-2024, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I don't remember reading a single word about this...

Are you sure it happened in TV?
The one near the Villages in Leesburg, woman lost arm. Not killed.

Woman, 84, loses arm in alligator attack in Leesburg

The incident with the dog and the woman killed was in St. Lucie.

Your browser is not supported | usatoday.com
Old 05-16-2024, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
About 6 months or so ago south of here a gator attacked a dog and the owner got involved and was killed by a gator.
Well that's certainly not what the person I was responding to was talking about...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-16-2024, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
The one near the Villages in Leesburg, woman lost arm. Not killed.

Woman, 84, loses arm in alligator attack in Leesburg

The incident with the dog and the woman killed was in St. Lucie.

Your browser is not supported | usatoday.com
So neither of them happened in TV...

Just making sure I wasn't going crazy... (That was a RHETORICAL statement! )

-Tom Petty
Old 05-16-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:

Yes one event there was a person walking pitbull mix close to the pond on canal st. Gator came out of the water took the dog into the pond. Day or so later the carcass was floating in the middle of the pond. Took a few days before it was removed. We lived around the corner from the pond, and one could easily see the floater. Those who back up to the pond were upset it took so long to remove the remains.

Maybe prior to you coming here, but definitely a gator kill.

Second event in the large pond in Duval off Odell Circle, small gator tried to snatch a toy poodle. Owner hit the gator in the face, dog was injured but not severely. We knew the dog owners personally, we felt bad for them, but in the same breath “what were you thinking walking along the large pond at dusk”
Old 05-16-2024, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,030 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
The Villages just posted a new video explaining plans to update Sumter Landing boardwalk/water access. They talked about kayaking and dragon boats. Now, I am new to the Villages and don’t know much about Sumter Landing. But I was under the impression that boats (other than that $2 tour) were not allowed and I also thought fishing wasn’t allowed. Yet the video showed a pontoon boat with people fishing.

Are these things currently allowed in that water?
You have to pay to fish. There also law suit frivolous? probably why updating boardwalk.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,358 Times in 618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I was raised living and swimming/skiing on Lake Harris in Leesburg. Fun fact. The entire world of water skiiers used to live and train in Leesburg on that lake full of gators. I’ve never known of a person who’s even come close to being attacked by one. They’re scared of everything. They’re ambush predators. They lie under cover of the water or in reeds, and wait. When something is in ambush distance, splashing in the water, they look at the basic size and either their brain goes “Nope, too small, not worth it,” “Nope, too big, might fight me off, not worth it,” or “Yep! Just right!” And if the answer is number three, they literally erupt out of the water and attack. They drag their prey to the bottom to drown it first. If you see one hanging out, they don’t care about you… just keep on walking….if you jumped at it or poked it with a stick it would snap at you but that’s about it.
I don’t think too many people from up north share your views that alligators aren’t dangerous. If I see one on the golf course or near a trail, I keep far away from it!
Old 05-16-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,290 Times in 5,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Don't you know the Developer is behind everything
Very true but very often he has figured out a way to make the rest of us pay for stuff
Old 05-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well that's certainly not what the person I was responding to was talking about...
I know just an example of how dangerous gators can be. No way am I going into water frequented by gators
Old 05-16-2024, 05:49 PM
Default Sumter Landing updates

The boat tours on Lake Sumter are now $3 (just found this out a few weeks ago when i had a friend visiting). It's still a nice way to spend some time on a sunny afternoon....well worth it.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopie View Post
The boat tours on Lake Sumter are now $3 (just found this out a few weeks ago when i had a friend visiting). It's still a nice way to spend some time on a sunny afternoon....well worth it.
It is a very nice 20 minutes on the lake
Old 05-16-2024, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Yes one event there was a person walking pitbull mix close to the pond on canal st. Gator came out of the water took the dog into the pond. Day or so later the carcass was floating in the middle of the pond. Took a few days before it was removed. We lived around the corner from the pond, and one could easily see the floater. Those who back up to the pond were upset it took so long to remove the remains.

Maybe prior to you coming here, but definitely a gator kill.

Second event in the large pond in Duval off Odell Circle, small gator tried to snatch a toy poodle. Owner hit the gator in the face, dog was injured but not severely. We knew the dog owners personally, we felt bad for them, but in the same breath “what were you thinking walking along the large pond at dusk”
I was SPECIFICALLY responding to the poster who stated that "A LADY", who was walking her dog was killed. Not that a dog was killed (and yes, I'm familiar with the story you're talking about...

Nor was I responding to your 2nd story, which has nothing to do with a lady getting killed by a gator...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-16-2024, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I was raised living and swimming/skiing on Lake Harris in Leesburg. Fun fact. The entire world of water skiiers used to live and train in Leesburg on that lake full of gators. I’ve never known of a person who’s even come close to being attacked by one. They’re scared of everything. They’re ambush predators. They lie under cover of the water or in reeds, and wait. When something is in ambush distance, splashing in the water, they look at the basic size and either their brain goes “Nope, too small, not worth it,” “Nope, too big, might fight me off, not worth it,” or “Yep! Just right!” And if the answer is number three, they literally erupt out of the water and attack. They drag their prey to the bottom to drown it first. If you see one hanging out, they don’t care about you… just keep on walking….if you jumped at it or poked it with a stick it would snap at you but that’s about it.
I imagine a gator coming toward me & my dog while I plead “No! She is way too small & I am way too big”

….no thanks!
Old 05-17-2024, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
I know of an alligator attack. A woman was walking two dogs on a villages built walking path that goes near a pond. It was in the afternoon daylight. Alligator pounced on the dogs without any warning. She tried to save them, but could not. She suffered bites and cuts. One dog badly hurt, other dog taken by alligator.
This was about a year ago.

This info was given in person by the woman who was attacked. She is traumatized and will never walk near a pond ever again.

Bee Ess about the "it never happens here"
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Since we talked at a village pool, and she lived close to the pool, I would say it happened in the villages.

Sorry about your memory. Perhaps that explains reason for all the passive aggressive posts
Was that the incident near Canal street in May 2022, the two dogs that were off leash near the pond? The article I found does not mention the owner becoming involved or getting injured. Possibly not the same incident though since the article says it was a "visitor" walking the dogs and that the second dog was unhurt.

Not only do I also not remember those details, I cannot find any articles with details that match the description above.

in any case, it sounds more like the woman attacked the alligator and not the other way around and it is no surprise that the alligator reacted to being attacked.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-17-2024, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,499 Times in 2,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Don't you know the Developer is behind everything
Reading TOTV, I was given the impression that George Soros or Bill Gates were behind everything.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Was that the incident near Canal street in May 2022, the two dogs that were off leash near the pond? The article I found does not mention the owner becoming involved or getting injured. Possibly not the same incident though since the article says it was a "visitor" walking the dogs and that the second dog was unhurt.

Not only do I also not remember those details, I cannot find any articles with details that match the description above.

in any case, it sounds more like the woman attacked the alligator and not the other way around and it is no surprise that the alligator reacted to being attacked.
Alligator attacked first, not the other way around. Unprovoked. There is no Canal street near here.

Woman said she was walking her two dogs on leash. She was on a paved walking path near a pond. Exactly what many people do every day.
Alligator came rushing towards her and her dogs from pond. She was not sure if was in the water or hiding in the grass brush at the edge. She said she never saw that alligator before it began charging towards her and attacked the dogs. She attempted to save her dogs from the attack, but did not succeed.

I had heard of that attack a while before talking with her. Wasn't sure it was real or just a rumor. Her scars were real. Never did see anything in the Sun about it. That's not surprising. I was very sad to hear her describe what happened. Her emotion certainly appeared real and genuine.

Tags
sumter, landing, allowed, fishing, video

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.