Sumter Library E-Books Issue

Old 02-17-2024, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

PLEASE NOTE THAT A BOOK CAN BE CHECKED OUT WITHOUT DOWNLOADING IT.

I think that may be your problem. Make sure that you checked it out and downloaded it.

I ran into this a couple of times too. The library I was using (not Sumter) recently transitioned to Libby. With the old app, checking out a book automatically kicked me over to Amazon where I chose which reader to download it to. Not so with Libby. Libby allows you to mark the book as checked out and nothing else. I have to go through an extra step to actually download it to my device (a step I sometimes forget about).

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,780 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I ran into this a couple of times too. The library I was using (not Sumter) recently transitioned to Libby. With the old app, checking out a book automatically kicked me over to Amazon where I chose which reader to download it to. Not so with Libby. Libby allows you to mark the book as checked out and nothing else. I have to go through an extra step to actually download it to my device (a step I sometimes forget about).
With Libby, you click on "borrow" to borrow the book. Then, you click on "go to shelf" and "read with" and "Kindle". But, I think all of these steps are within the Libby app. To me, Libby seems easier to use than the old app, "Overdrive".
Old 02-17-2024, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
With Libby, you click on "borrow" to borrow the book. Then, you click on "go to shelf" and "read with" and "Kindle". But, I think all of these steps are within the Libby app. To me, Libby seems easier to use than the old app, "Overdrive".
Yes, I have learned the steps now... but I still forget them occasionally.

If I remember correctly, the old Overdrive app took you through all these steps automatically - no need to remember to go to "holds" then go to "shelf" then go to "read with" which finally takes me to Amazon to download the content.

I don't spend enough time in the app to learn to use it well. For searching and filtering perhaps Libby does work better than Overdrive. No matter, Libby is what we have to work with now.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-17-2024, 11:24 AM
Default Boundless is not reliable

I have found Boundless to be unreliable. Several times, I have been unable to read or listen to something on Boundless. This is frustrating when you’re in the middle of a book. The next day or later everything would be OK.
As a retired librarian with a computer background, I have extensive experience with ebooks. There are much better ebook platforms(Libby, Hoopla, Kindle, Nook, etc…) I have been very disappointed since the library changed from Axis 360. I hope they reassess this choice
Old 02-17-2024, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR333 View Post
I have found Boundless to be unreliable. Several times, I have been unable to read or listen to something on Boundless. This is frustrating when you’re in the middle of a book. The next day or later everything would be OK.
As a retired librarian with a computer background, I have extensive experience with ebooks. There are much better ebook platforms(Libby, Hoopla, Kindle, Nook, etc…) I have been very disappointed since the library changed from Axis 360. I hope they reassess this choice
Even with Axis 360, you could not borrow books in the Kindle format. Apparently, Sumter County is too cheap to pay for the Libby app. It's surprising since they use no security for their books and movies. The movies do not even have locking boxes, so anyone can remove the disc, put it in their pocket, and walk out of the library.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:09 PM

Why not address this issue with the librarian (not the clerk/assistant) and if there is a true disconnect, address it with the library system director. Be sure to inquire if your public library is supported by mileage rates from ad valorum taxes (property taxes) as are many library systems. Follow up with your county commissioners if so!
Old 02-25-2024, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeswood View Post
Why not address this issue with the librarian (not the clerk/assistant) and if there is a true disconnect, address it with the library system director. Be sure to inquire if your public library is supported by mileage rates from ad valorum taxes (property taxes) as are many library systems. Follow up with your county commissioners if so!
I have adddressed it with the Sumter County library. They are too cheap to pay to use the Libby app. By the way, the Sumter County libraries are operated under a contract with a private company. Also, they have decided to not use any security measures to protect their books and DVDs from being stolen. Anyone can walk out with books and DVDs and they will not be detected or stopped by any electronic alarm or detection device. I have observed people walk out with at least 10 DVD movies and not check them out. To me, this is a waste of taxpayer money. Shameful.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have adddressed it with the Sumter County library. They are too cheap to pay to use the Libby app. By the way, the Sumter County libraries are operated under a contract with a private company. Also, they have decided to not use any security measures to protect their books and DVDs from being stolen. Anyone can walk out with books and DVDs and they will not be detected or stopped by any electronic alarm or detection device. I have observed people walk out with at least 10 DVD movies and not check them out. To me, this is a waste of taxpayer money. Shameful.
I am also disappointed with Boundless. If the Library is run by a contractor, does anyone know what county department oversees the contract? I have listed my complaints on the boundless app in it's feedback section, but with no results. No wonder if it is a contractor.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
I am also disappointed with Boundless. If the Library is run by a contractor, does anyone know what county department oversees the contract? I have listed my complaints on the boundless app in its feedback section, but with no results. No wonder if it is a contractor.
As far as I can tell, the County Commissioners are in charge of the library. But it does look like they have contracted everything out to a company called Library Systems & Services (LS&S). I am not sure but I think the employees do not work for the Sumter Library but instead are employed by LS&S.

Frequently Asked Questions | Library Systems & Services

Does anyone know when and where the Sumter County Public Library Advisory Board will have its next meeting and if the public is allowed to attend?

Some of these issues could be addressed at the meeting.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:51 AM

I had this problem until my children bought me a Kindle for Mother’s Day. I did not think that I wanted an e-reader, but it is fantastic. As long as the Kindle is charged, it can be read anywhere.

You can download library books onto the Kindle; you do not have to buy the books.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawlaw View Post
I had this problem until my children bought me a Kindle for Mother’s Day. I did not think that I wanted an e-reader, but it is fantastic. As long as the Kindle is charged, it can be read anywhere.

You can download library books onto the Kindle; you do not have to buy the books.
If you have a Lake County library card, you can download library books directly to your Kindle Ereader in the Kindle format using the Libby app. You cannot do this with a Sumter County card, but you may be able to use a work around in another format. If you read a lot of library books, it may be worth paying for a Lake County card, assuming you don't live in Lake County.

Tags
internet, access, works, cruise, restart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.