Sumter raises taxes again , cuts money for music at squares

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 06:13 AM
John41
Default Sumter raises taxes again , cuts money for music at squares

Current Sumter commissioners supported by the developer voted to raise taxes and cut funding for music at the squares as reported in Villages News.
This is another example of how the current developer plans to radically transform The Villages from the vision of the founder Harold Schwartz that has been so successful.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Current Sumter commissioners supported by the developer voted to raise taxes and cut funding for music at the squares as reported in Villages News.
This is another example of how the current developer plans to radically transform The Villages from the vision of the founder Harold Schwartz that has been so successful.
If people's taxes have gone up it is because the appraised value of their home is greater.

The money for entertainment on the squares comes from the Merchants on the squares.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
I can't understand the logic of cutting the money to fund entertainment on the squares. I believe the entertainment is funded through this year. This means the "new" commissioners will have to make the decision to reinstate it, find another way to fund it, or stop entertainment.
I wonder if the current commissioners did this to "stick it" to the incoming commissioners.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:41 PM
Platinum member

The way I understand the cut is that it is only Spanish Springs in Lake County. Music will be funded to the end of the year, and the funding could return at a later date.

LSL and Brownwood are not changed.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If people's taxes have gone up it is because the appraised value of their home is greater.

The money for entertainment on the squares comes from the Merchants on the squares.
SOME of the money for entertainment on the squares came from a Tourist Development grant from Sumter County, with the money raised via tourism taxes. Last year's was I believe $120,000 to both Brownwood and Sumter Landing, since Spanish Springs Town Square isn't in Sumter County and therefore doesn't get Sumter County grant money.

Also, taxes have gone up because Sumter County raised taxes last year. Perhaps you were absent for several months' worth of threads on the subject right here.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I can't understand the logic of cutting the money to fund entertainment on the squares. I believe the entertainment is funded through this year. This means the "new" commissioners will have to make the decision to reinstate it, find another way to fund it, or stop entertainment.
I wonder if the current commissioners did this to "stick it" to the incoming commissioners.
The second question, what will the new commissioners do?
Old 10-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
The way I understand the cut is that it is only Spanish Springs in Lake County. Music will be funded to the end of the year, and the funding could return at a later date.

LSL and Brownwood are not changed.
It's reverse of that. Sumter County abolished the tax. Lake County is unchanged.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No politics are allowed on this forum!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Exactly.
In my opinion, if the new commissioners are smart, they will reinstate the tourism tax and keep funding the entertainment at LSL and Brownwood.
But, I'm afraid the new commissioners will say The Developer should pay for it. "Entertainment sells homes so The Developer should fund it." Well... The Developer has sold a lot of homes during the Pandemic, without entertainment.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Exactly.
In my opinion, if the new commissioners are smart, they will reinstate the tourism tax and keep funding the entertainment at LSL and Brownwood.
But, I'm afraid the new commissioners will say The Developer should pay for it. "Entertainment sells homes so The Developer should fund it." Well... The Developer has sold a lot of homes during the Pandemic, without entertainment.
I do not expect the developer to pay for the entertainment. Hopefully the merchants will continue to do so and the county will reinstate the tourist tax.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please note that discussion of local tax increases or changes, County elections, etc. are not necessarily considered to be political per TOTV rules. It's a valid area of interest to many residents.

However, any such comments that reference national political parties or one's feelings about same, that tie local elections to national ones, or that otherwise veer off topic will continue to be removed and sanctions given if warranted.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Please note that discussion of local tax increases or changes, County elections, etc. are not necessarily considered to be political per TOTV rules. It's a valid area of interest to many residents.

However, any such comments that reference national political parties or one's feelings about same, that tie local elections to national ones, or that otherwise veer off topic will continue to be removed and sanctions given if warranted.
Thanks! Because I think this is a very important topic. (and it has nothing to do with national politics)
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
SOME of the money for entertainment on the squares came from a Tourist Development grant from Sumter County, with the money raised via tourism taxes. Last year's was I believe $120,000 to both Brownwood and Sumter Landing, since Spanish Springs Town Square isn't in Sumter County and therefore doesn't get Sumter County grant money.

Also, taxes have gone up because Sumter County raised taxes last year
. Perhaps you were absent for several months' worth of threads on the subject right here.

THE OP said taxes were raised AGAIN. It didn't happen twice. If the taxes have gone up this year it is because the homes may have appraised more just as I said. I wasn't absent. Were you?
Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
I'm confused. Didn't the EMS group (as they like to call themselves) run on the promise to STOP the entertainment funding from the County? I seem to recall the wife of one candidate talking about it on this site.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I'm confused. Didn't the EMS group (as they like to call themselves) run on the promise to STOP the entertainment funding from the County? I seem to recall the wife of one candidate talking about it on this site.
Correct!
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, developer, current, squares, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.