Sumter tax talk

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2022, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I read inflation is north of 9 percent now. The cost of doing everything is up. I also read the Sumter County commission will cut the real estate tax. Two things confuse me about that. If costs to run the county are up, is a tax cut timely? Or is the tax cut decision timely because some commission seats are up for grabs? Either way, show me the money.
Tax cuts are ALWAYS timely. Tax exists for very few reasons: To fund our national defense, to provide security and emergency services, to create and maintain infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.), and to provide education.

Taxes have been expanded time and time again to pay for all kinds of questionable feel-good social, health, and financial assistance to multitudes not entitled to it (non-citizens, felons, etc.). These have the long-term impact of causing people to NOT rely on their own volitions, motivation, skills, families, and communities. This enables bridge-burning and unacceptable behaviors because they don't need those bridges to their families and communities.

Tax cuts are ALWAYS timely because there are way too many that add up to way too much for way too many things.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 07-15-2022, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,057 Times in 539 Posts
Default Development County

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
I believe much of the new builds are in Lake County in that direction, not Sumter. Although some new builds in Sumter, Villages of DeLuna & Richmond will help, they are smaller in comparison to the Eastport area.
Eastport will essentially be the newest town in Sumter county in its entirety. It will be a huge plus for those residents living in Sumter.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 07-15-2022, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I read inflation is north of 9 percent now. The cost of doing everything is up. I also read the Sumter County commission will cut the real estate tax. Two things confuse me about that. If costs to run the county are up, is a tax cut timely? Or is the tax cut decision timely because some commission seats are up for grabs? Either way, show me the money.
Figuring out property taxes in Florida has more ?s than 1st ten moves in a chess game. For example if I sold my house(bought 4 years ago and appreciated 30-40%) to a new owner, the new owner would pay the taxes on something close to the purchase price of the home. My increase would be capped at a lot less than 30-40%. In other words the county(Sumter) would be getting 30-40% more on the same home. If that person was a Floridian, the taxes would be less than if the person came from out of state.

Key in Florida is to make sure you are homesteaded.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:25 AM

Look at the County budget. It’s not a secret, don’t speculate on a public forum. If you really learn the facts!
Old 07-15-2022, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
Look at the County budget. It’s not a secret, don’t speculate on a public forum. If you really learn the facts!
Have you tried that lately? For the 2022 budget they are using an "interactive budget." I still cannot find good information on any of the pages of that. Please send a link if you can find a simple page showing the list of revenue lines and expense lines.

For 2023 all we have is the information coming through the paper, I can find nothing online. No minutes from the budget committee workshops and no minutes from the general commissioners meeting.

"Look at the County budget" is what I would like to do. "It's not a secret" is a nice theory but if you can't find the budget then in reality it is.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-15-2022, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Have you tried that lately? For the 2022 budget they are using an "interactive budget." I still cannot find good information on any of the pages of that. Please send a link if you can find a simple page showing the list of revenue lines and expense lines.

For 2023 all we have is the information coming through the paper, I can find nothing online. No minutes from the budget committee workshops and no minutes from the general commissioners meeting.

"Look at the County budget" is what I would like to do. "It's not a secret" is a nice theory but if you can't find the budget then in reality it is.
You just need to try a little harder.

Sumter View Page
Old 07-15-2022, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

Sumter View Page
... or check every day until it shows up.

Good to have the information.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-15-2022, 01:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,530 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

Sumter View Page
Great link! I’ve been looking at the county website for over 8 years and have never come across this page, always had to dig through other pages to find the information. Thanks!

In response to the originality quoted post, look at the two budget workshops that happened this week for the full budget documents. If you have questions ask a county commissioner, we either know the answers or can get them for you.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-15-2022, 04:23 PM

My question is How many new homes are being built in Sumter County?
Old 07-15-2022, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
Last year, this year, last month?
Old 07-15-2022, 07:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,530 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
In 2021 there were 3882 new single family home permits issued and a total of 20,141 building permits issued. 3882 represents all of Sumter County, not just The Villages. The information is in the budget cover letter from the County Administrator as well as a lot of other good and useful information about the county budget.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-16-2022, 01:27 PM

That also doesn’t include the assessment increase due to increased property values.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, cut, commission, timely, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.