Sun Kool yearly tuneup

Old 03-25-2024, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Probably meant "fins" not "fan".
I have read this is an issue on some finned units. (e.g. Carrier, IIRC)
Bent fins reduce air flow thru the condenser.
Maybe, but his comment made no sense. A condenser cool has thousands of fins to increase the surface area of the coil which facilitates the heat transfer as the air flows across the coil. Some fins can get bent, but they can be straitened with a special type of comb. It is normal to have some bent fins, but if you have a lot, you should have them straitened. Bending the fins can easily be avoided with a proper cleaning technique and should not be an excuse not to clean the coil. Fins often get bent while transporting the condenser unit. When you receive a new condenser unit, you should inspect the fins for excessive bending.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-25-2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Had my yearly tuneup last month, when the technician arrived he said we no longer clean the coils in the condenser because if they bend the fan it would cause problems. Watching You Tube this weekend they showed that it was a important part of the service. Anyone hear this from their technician when they had service.
Cleaning coils is important if these are dirty, as is often the case in the upper Midwest where there is a lot of wind blown dust from tilled farm fields. Here in Florida this is not the case so much. Low pressure with a garden hose should be sufficient.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:30 AM
Default definitely not an experienced technician

Quote:
Had my yearly tuneup last month, when the technician arrived he said we no longer clean the coils in the condenser because if they bend the fan it would cause problems. Watching You Tube this weekend they showed that it was a important part of the service. Anyone hear this from their technician when they had service.
Sun Kool should not be using anyone who is not qualified to do a good Preventative Maintenance Inspection. There is no excuse not to be able to clean the condenser coil and no excuse to not clean the evaporator coil as well, Not cleaning them could lead to a no cooling service call when the weather gets warmer.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac877 View Post
Sun Kool should not be using anyone who is not qualified to do a good Preventative Maintenance Inspection. There is no excuse not to be able to clean the condenser coil and no excuse to not clean the evaporator coil as well, Not cleaning them could lead to a no cooling service call when the weather gets warmer.
Why would you pay a highly trained HVAC technician to clean the coils? It is a simple DIY project.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
OP, I am curious as to how long the technician was at your house. According to the SunKool website, the annual tune-up should have included 21 tasks. I would expect it to take him about two hours or longer to perform all of those tasks.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:48 PM

Years ago in NC I needed a part and went to the largest local HVAC place. While at the desk I could see a board back in the office that listed bonuses for all the techs based on how many "tune ups" they were able to land.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Don’t get me started on SunKool and their ineptness.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
I’ll Be calling them Monday .........
AND?????................what did they say yesterday???

Their website:
Your technician will:

Check operating pressures
Inspect the compressor
Measure the amperage draw of all motors
Take the sub cool/super heat measurement
Record temperature splits
Monitor operating controls
Test for proper water drainage
Calibrate the thermostat
Energize relays and contactors for testing
Tighten electrical connections
Visually inspect for refrigerant leaks
Flush out the condensate line
Run heat safety controls
Test the defrost cycle
Apply foam spray on inside unit’s coils
Remove debris from outside unit
Wash and wax the outside unit
Provide our inspection report and advise on any abnormal findings or necessary repairs
Administer Bio-Fresh ductwork treatment
Old 03-26-2024, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Merv 11 filters collect a little more dirt than the standard Merv 8, but I have found them to make the house less dusty and more quiet, and they don't seem to adversely affect the fan speed. But, I would not trust any filter for 12 months. FilterBuy is a good brand to buy on Amazon.
Might have no affect fan speed but may affect cubic feet per minute At ducts. Especially the duct that travels furthest? Why I check flow at ducts with Anemometer.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:11 PM
Default HVAC service contract benefits

Quote:
Had my yearly tuneup last month, when the technician arrived he said we no longer clean the coils in the condenser because if they bend the fan it would cause problems. Watching You Tube this weekend they showed that it was an important part of the service. Anyone hear this from their technician when they had service.
maybe best to find a different company because of the issues you will face if your condenser fails because it’s clogged and no airflow.
Condenser units are designed to remove cover for this reason .
In 35 years I never had a fan blade bent from serving the unit .
I pay $21.97 monthly to be a club member with the HVAC company I use back home in Illinois.
They come out twice a year and service my furnace in winter and A/C unit outside which includes
cleaning coils with a low pressure hose ( a must )in summer . Coils clogged up
can lead to ice build up and no cooling.
This also includes 2 filter changes yearly No charge included . My air filter is 20 by 25 by 4 inches, a big one . I don’t pay labor for them to come out in an emergency weekends and weekdays.
I do nothing .
Peace of mind I know this company is responsive when I need them with out paying a Penny .
Old 03-26-2024, 01:20 PM
Default Service contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Why would you pay a highly trained HVAC technician to clean the coils? It is a simple DIY project.
You would pay a highly trained HVAC company because the monthly fee $21.97 to be a club member not only includes coil cleaning, 2 filter changes yearly and no charge to come out and diagnose if you have a problem. Otherwise you have no relationship with an HVAC company and have no idea
who your going to have to deal with .this is my experience .
Old 03-26-2024, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
You would pay a highly trained HVAC company because the monthly fee $21.97 to be a club member not only includes coil cleaning, 2 filter changes yearly and no charge to come out and diagnose if you have a problem. Otherwise you have no relationship with an HVAC company and have no idea
who your going to have to deal with .this is my experience .
My experience is different. Being a club member does not guarantee prompt service when your system breaks down. My system failed 2 years ago on a hot Saturday morning in July. I called Munn's and they had it fixed by 2 PM. If they were not available, I had 5 other quality companies to call. I have never paid any HVAC company for routine maintenance, but I have always been able to have someone come out and provide a repair. The service clubs or maintenance agreements I have read do not guarantee anything regarding repairs, prompt availability, or system reliability. If they did and they put it in writing, I may have a different opinion. But, these agreements do not create any relationship that you can rely on when your system needs to be repaired.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Probably meant "fins" not "fan".
I have read this is an issue on some finned units. (e.g. Carrier, IIRC)
Bent fins reduce air flow thru the condenser.
There is a tool to straighten out bent fins IF that was to happen.

If low pressure water bent fins then the fins weren't made for outside use.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Cleaning coils is important if these are dirty, as is often the case in the upper Midwest where there is a lot of wind blown dust from tilled farm fields. Here in Florida this is not the case so much. Low pressure with a garden hose should be sufficient.
And cotton wood tree cotton.

Tags
yearly, tuneup, technician, service, showed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.