Old 10-15-2020, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Then drive the backroads.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post

There has been talk about making all or most highways toll roads. People who don’t like it can take surface streets. I don’t like that idea, myself. I’d rather just pay for it through various taxes, such as gasoline taxes.
The problem with just having a local fuel tax paying for local roads is that large truck weights actually wear roads out faster, and they may not have paid any local fuel taxes. The heavy truck wearing out roads is an issue if the truck weight exceeds the road structural classification, or there are crashes with road damages. A useage tax is more activity based, regardless of where the fuel is purchased, and is more usage appropriate if done by number of wheels, or type of vehicle.

sportsguy
Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The problem with just having a local fuel tax paying for local roads is that large truck weights actually wear roads out faster, and they may not have paid any local fuel taxes. The heavy truck wearing out roads is an issue if the truck weight exceeds the road structural classification, or there are crashes with road damages. A useage tax is more activity based, regardless of where the fuel is purchased, and is more usage appropriate if done by number of wheels, or type of vehicle.

sportsguy
Fuel taxes for large trucks who travel inter-state are apportioned based on miles driven in an area. So, even if a truck fuels in Ga and drives into Fl to deliver a load and then leaves the state without buying any additional fuel, Fl will get a part of the taxes paid in Ga.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Default Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
I went to my SunPass account today to update my credit card info and happened to check my recent toll charges,

On a recent trip to Daytona I decided to take the new toll road that bypasses some of SR 46 through the bear sanctuary to see if I would save some time.

I was surprised to see that I was charged 3 times in 5 minutes for a total of $2.21.
That seems quite high for about 7 miles.

I tried a live chat, but it wouldn't allow my inquiry to be submitted.
I'll try to call them tomorrow to see if they have a malfunction with their new system.

So if you travel that way to Sanford Airport or I-4 check your account.
I recently traveled to the Sanford Airport via Turnpike, SR 408 and SR 417. I drove through 6 tolls: Turnpike, $2.94, SR 408, $1.15, $1.15, $.87, SR 417, $2.13, .$87. Total cost $9.11.

I could have gone the more direct route through backroads and it would have been toll free, but opted to take the highway as it was dark and I didn’t want to take my chances with heavy morning fog. I don’t mind paying the tolls.

You may not have realized that many of these highways do not have tollbooths, just overhead cameras along the way. It’s more efficient and really not terribly expensive.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Know that for sure ???

simple math
Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I went to my SunPass account today to update my credit card info and happened to check my recent toll charges,

On a recent trip to Daytona I decided to take the new toll road that bypasses some of SR 46 through the bear sanctuary to see if I would save some time.

I was surprised to see that I was charged 3 times in 5 minutes for a total of $2.21.

I'll try to call them tomorrow to see if they have a malfunction with their new system.

How much time do you save by taking the toll road? If you save 15 minutes each way, that gives you 30 minutes more time to spend in Daytona, maybe it's worth it. If the alternate route has lots of stops and starts, you may be saving on gas and wear & tear on your car.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:

This is what happens in states without an income tax - they HAVE to get your money somewhere. At least with tolls, you get to CHOOSE if you want to make that payment.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

any time someone feels the tolls are out of touch: you are invited to head up north & go thru the tolls of NY &NJ.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Maybe this will make you feel better: to get off Long Island via Staten Island round trip, is $35 if paying cash.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Default Seriously?

Are you serious? NO STATE INCOME TAX...GAS IS CHEAP...$2.21 in tolls a bargain!!!! It's why we all moved here!!!!

Last edited by Rhonda West; 10-15-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 10-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmapgurley@comcast.net View Post
BEAR SANCTUARY? are you just being cute about the Ocala Forest?
It’s not a joke. There is definitely a bear sanctuary and glad there is. People are taking their living area so there has to be some return for the bears. After all, they were here first.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not trying to make light of your story but..... I think I'm starting to lose it a little. The first 3 things That came to me after reading were:
1. Was "Highway" robbery an intended pun?
2. $2.21 is a cheap price to not have to walk through a bear sanctuary.
3. If you went 7 miles in 5 minutes..... you were going at least 84 MPH.

All joking aside that does seem a little steep. Let us know what they say.
😂🤣😂🤣
Old 10-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Platinum member

OP:
Next time, use this calculator before you travel.

SunPass Toll Calculator

It might help you decide to take alternate routes with multiple traffic lights, low speed limits, and heavy traffic to avoid those crippling toll fees.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:31 PM

With all the demands on Florida service, a fee for service system works the best. If you drive on the roads, help pay by charging tolls. No matter where you live you are using the roads so pay for them. That is how turnpikes originated as toll roads. You want the benefit - pay the toll. Why should the people who live here in FL pay for roads used by tourists, truckers and others wanting the sunshine and warm weather. That is why we do not need a state income tax. Many who come here are just visiting and using our facilities. So, let them pay for what they use - fee for service is still the best method either for sales tax or tolls. PS: has anyone looked at ticket prices for the many parks in FL lately? Now there is a fee for service system that makes a profit!!!!! My two cents.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
any time someone feels the tolls are out of touch: you are invited to head up north & go thru the tolls of NY &NJ.
That’s no lie! What does it cost to go over the GW bridge these days? Haven’t been up that way in a loooong time.

Tags
sunpass, recent, toll, check, account

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.