Can you hear me?

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2022, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Can you hear me?

I attended the Tommy James & The Shondells concert at the Sharon last night. It’s a delight to be entertained by an original and a professional who is a year older than me at 75. He performed almost all of his greatest hits of which there were many. It was also nice to have him spent time meeting and greeting the audience.

I thought that the sound system at the Sharon would be great. However, for us it was set way too loud. My wife left half way through the performance as did several others. As long as I kept my ears covered, it wasn’t too bad. I was a little surprised that the sound was at levels typical of 50 years ago when we were much younger.

So, be warned that the sound levels at the Sharon may be set way too high for many paying customers who attend this type of music venue. It may talk a day or two for me to recover so I may be continually saying “I can’t hear you”.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I have read on here in the past regarding this sound issue.
Replies were that the band sound guy controls the volume.........
Old 12-10-2022, 12:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I have read on here in the past regarding this sound issue.
Replies were that the band sound guy controls the volume.........
You may be correct but there should be direction given by staff to help make the show more enjoyable. There was no need to turn off phones as I could not hear mine if placed against my ear with the volume turned to the loudest setting.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Crank it up for Led Zeppelin or The Who but not Tommy James. Saw Tony Bennet there and others and the sound was perfect. I agree its the the band's sound man.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

If they turned it down to my satisfaction, everyone would leave except me. I have never liked live music for that reason, and it has nothing to do with my age.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,932 Posts

I don't like really loud music. I always bring a pair of ear plugs for live concerts just in case the music is too loud. We saw Journey with Arnel Pineda at an outdoor venue in NJ and had to leave after a couple of songs. My ears hurt even with the earplugs in place. It was just awful.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

There might have been some that could barely hear it at that level, who knows.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
There might have been some that could barely hear it at that level, who knows.
Is it just me - the more my hearing degrades, the more loud music hurts?
Old 12-10-2022, 06:12 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Is it just me - the more my hearing degrades, the more loud music hurts?
That is my experience as well.

Over a billion young people at risk of hearing loss from loud music, venues, study suggests

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-10-2022, 09:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

I have always been very intolerant of loud noise, especially loud music. I always leave.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:19 AM

I think most people prefer it loud over soft, it’s a live show and. They want to feel the beat as well as hear it. Perhaps you’ve reached the age where this entertainment isn’t your cup of tea anymore. When we were younger I can’t remember anyone saying a show was too loud ever.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I attended the Tommy James & The Shondells concert at the Sharon last night. It’s a delight to be entertained by an original and a professional who is a year older than me at 75. He performed almost all of his greatest hits of which there were many. It was also nice to have him spent time meeting and greeting the audience.

I thought that the sound system at the Sharon would be great. However, for us it was set way too loud. My wife left half way through the performance as did several others. As long as I kept my ears covered, it wasn’t too bad. I was a little surprised that the sound was at levels typical of 50 years ago when we were much younger.

So, be warned that the sound levels at the Sharon may be set way too high for many paying customers who attend this type of music venue. It may talk a day or two for me to recover so I may be continually saying “I can’t hear you”.
Well said. I avoid rock concerts for just that reason. For most of our lifetimes there has been a belief that rock concerts should be FELT whether or not they can be HEARD. Feeling the music requires enough volume to cause hearing damage. But music loud enough to feel encourages people to want to dance, and that’s the idea. The amusing thing is that I suspect most of us heard the Shondells on little transistor radios or on 45s played on little record players or on television. We didn’t hear the original hits played at volumes loud enough to feel, so why now? The Shondells really only played songs to be heard, not felt. Did they have albums, too? I certainly never bought one. Not my kind of pop music.

I’ve only been to a few concerts in The Villages. Some were so loud they hurt, and wearing earplugs simply ruined the music. Others were loud but bearable. Even the excellent Beatles tribute last summer wasn’t too loud. It’s pretty sad when we are judging concerts by whether or not they were too loud, isn’t it? But, alas, I do.

It is easy to use a decibel meter at the sound board and establish what volume causes pain to us—and hearing loss—and require that the volume not be above that level, whether or not the sound guy wants it louder. I wish that would be done. You can even buy a decent decibel meter app online for a few dollars that lets you check the volume and see if it’s safe for you. It’s right there on your phone. For me, 100 decibels or above will cause me more pain than pleasure and make my ears go numb.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Over 55 years ago, I was in rock (heavy metal) bands that played at big events. I sat right in front of 6ft tall Marshal amps playing the drums as loud as I could and I couldn't hear myself play. Since then, I have been to hundreds of concerts and when in the front row watching the Who or Aerosmith for example, my pant legs were flapping from the loud sound.
To me, it's not the loudness but the quality of the sound that wants me to leave. A lot of music these days over emphasizes the bass and it sounds like s*&t.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

The wife and I went to the Christopher Cross concert and I agree the music was way to loud also.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:05 AM

If the music is too loud, your too old..
Closed Thread

Tags
sound, sharon, levels, hear, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.