Another question

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2022, 07:55 PM
Default Another question

Just received my final ccd bill and I want to know why if my irrigation system is set the same every week why is the water usage not the same, in some cases significantly higher or lower. How can this be. Do the meter readers guess at what it should be. Potable water I understand usage varies by use, but irrigation should be the same every month if nothing is changed. What gives!!! Does anyone know????
Old 12-09-2022, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

The rain sensor may be operational and adjusting the settings.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The rain sensor may be operational and adjusting the settings.
no rain sensor. Removed it 15 months ago because they don’t work
Old 12-09-2022, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Do you have "Solar Sync" enabled?
Old 12-10-2022, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
Just received my final ccd bill and I want to know why if my irrigation system is set the same every week why is the water usage not the same, in some cases significantly higher or lower. How can this be. Do the meter readers guess at what it should be. Potable water I understand usage varies by use, but irrigation should be the same every month if nothing is changed. What gives!!! Does anyone know????
I don't know if the meters are read on the same day of the month every time. A couple of days early or late could, I imagine, make a difference in the usage you're being charged for.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Estimated bills or an extra click on the meter either way could make a big difference.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Read your meter and track your own usage. Verify how much you use per cycle. Match your cycle to the CCD bill cycle. Posters can only guess what you can certainly verify. Your reading after a run cycle should be the same as the reading just before the next run cycle.

Make sure you understand your Controller in your garage and how it functions regarding Programs start times and whether they or on or off. My controller is from 2006 but it has options for 12 different programs A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B4, C1, C2, C3, C4. I normally run 1 Program ( ie A1) for which I schedule a start time, Zone run times and days of the week to run. The rest of the option programs are off.

You can also change the usage by turning system on/off during periods of heavier rain which is June, July, August and September in our area, Rain in those months averages 7 to 8 inches verse 3 to 4 inches in the rest of the months. No sense to water just after a rain storm. If your rain sensor is working well, you may be able to let the system take care of that issue.

At one time I found that I was double watering because I had mistakenly activated two programs (ie A1 and A2) to the same time and day runs. Even though A1 and A2 had same start time, A1 would run first and after complete Program A2 would start.

Have fun!
Old 12-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
no rain sensor. Removed it 15 months ago because they don’t work
Mine does

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-11-2022, 07:21 AM

There is no rhyme or reason. I don’t believe the system is accurate in any way. In my opinion it’s always a guess.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:42 AM

Do you not wash clothing, dishes, your car, take showers, etc. All these use large amounts of water also and vary usage very much!
Old 12-11-2022, 07:53 AM

Look at your bills and the calendar. They do not read the meters the same day each month. The days of use may vary from month to month. Also, depending on the days of the week you irritate and how the fall in your billing cycle, the number of days of irritation may vary.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
If solar sync is enabled it will be different.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
If you have a smart irrigation system, then the system will start the watering cycle as needed. No rain = more irrigation cycles. More rain = less irrigation water / lower irrigation lower bill
Old 12-11-2022, 08:26 AM

It is a mystery. Our water usage stays almost exactly the same when we are gone months at a time and it is turned off in the house. Seems worth investigating. A few dollars a month, per household, adds up to a big pot of money.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Rain sensor lowers use during rainy season
Closed Thread

Tags
usage, irrigation, water, guess, readers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.