Superheroes abound

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Default Superheroes abound

Everyone likes a Superhero. And there’s a bunch of them in The Villages.
I’m not talking about those who serve their countries. Or those who care for others. Or good neighbours and friends.

I’m talking about those who have invisible body armour that can stop a tank. This allows them to step off the sidewalk in front of cars and golf carts without looking.

These Superheroes don’t walk around on their own. Sometimes there’s two of them and sometimes a whole group. They are so busy talking about Superhero stuff that they walk out in front out you without looking to see if the road is clear. They don’t look up when there’s the squeal of brakes from your car or golf cart. I guess they figure you’ve got lightning Superhero reactions like they have. They don’t look up when the driver of the car or golf cart behind you blasts their horn angrily because you’ve stopped suddenly. And they don’t look up at the sound of your head cracking on the windshield as you stop suddenly to avoid hitting them.

Although, occasionally one does glance up and gives you a “hit me if you dare” look.

These Superheroes come in all ages. What surprises me is that quite a few of them are grandparents. And unless they’ve got mini invisible body armour for their grandkids, I hope they don’t step out without looking when they’ve got them in tow.

There’s also a whole bunch of these Superheroes walking around in England where I grew up.

When I was a kid, there were two things that were drilled into my head; don’t talk to strangers and the Green Cross Code.

The Green Cross Code, created by the National Road Safety Committee to raise awareness of pedestrian road safety, began in 1970 and continues today.

The campaign even had it’s own Superhero, a costumed character to promote the code:
1) THINK. Find the safest place to cross, then stop.
2) STOP. Stand on the pavement (sidewalk) near the kerb.
3) USE YOUR EYES AND EARS. Look all around for traffic, and listen.
4) WAIT UNTIL IT’S SAFE TO CROSS. If traffic is coming, let it pass.
5) LOOK AND LISTEN. When it's safe, walk straight across the road.
6) ARRIVE ALIVE. Keep looking and listening

Here’s a link to the Green Cross Code man visiting an English school:
Green Cross Code Man - YouTube

PS: Can anyone tell me where I can buy a set of invisible body armour. I’d like one for protection from wayward golf shots.

Dakota Douglas writes for children. Her website is: www.dakotadouglas.co.uk
Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Gold member

Wow I thought it was just me who noticed all the Superheroes in TV. I find them mostly in parking lots just after they park. The Superheroes just dart out in the traffic area without even a glance.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.