Support Needed for man moving to TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default Support Needed for man moving to TV

This is my story: I have a man who raised me, who recently suffered greatly while volunteering his time for Habitat for Humanity. On June 1st, in Winchester Virginia- my (dad) fell 20 feet from a roof and is now paralyzed from the nipple line down. He has full use of his hands, arms, shoulders and head. I just learned this weekend there is no place "to place him" near his only biological daughter. Therefore, he is coming to TV with me on Sept 19th to live until he can transition on his own. He is 65 years old.
I am looking for support groups for him or any assistance I can get. Because Habitat for Humanity workers sign waivers, there is no money to collect for his injury and life altering change. I am looking for ways to get him a handicap golf cart that he can wheel himself into and out of and also be the driver. Need a motorized wheelchair, shower chair and I also need to know how or if I can start a foundation to help raise money for these items. I am a nurse who works full time and need also companions to sit with him while I am working. I am sure there are many other things I need, I just have so much on my mind--I can't focus on all the aspects. Any thoughts or suggestions--greatly appreciated. I think the lifestyle of The Villages will be great for him. He has so much opportunity to build his independence within this community from our family support and support of the community.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage

Tracy you are an RN? wherever you work, there is probably a social worker who can guide you to resources. I'm not sure why you are tossing this question out to the public rather than using professional resources which hopefully you are aware of as a nurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
This is my story: I have a man who raised me, who recently suffered greatly while volunteering his time for Habitat for Humanity. On June 1st, in Winchester Virginia- my (dad) fell 20 feet from a roof and is now paralyzed from the nipple line down. He has full use of his hands, arms, shoulders and head. I just learned this weekend there is no place "to place him" near his only biological daughter. Therefore, he is coming to TV with me on Sept 19th to live until he can transition on his own. He is 65 years old.
I am looking for support groups for him or any assistance I can get. Because Habitat for Humanity workers sign waivers, there is no money to collect for his injury and life altering change. I am looking for ways to get him a handicap golf cart that he can wheel himself into and out of and also be the driver. Need a motorized wheelchair, shower chair and I also need to know how or if I can start a foundation to help raise money for these items. I am a nurse who works full time and need also companions to sit with him while I am working. I am sure there are many other things I need, I just have so much on my mind--I can't focus on all the aspects. Any thoughts or suggestions--greatly appreciated. I think the lifestyle of The Villages will be great for him. He has so much opportunity to build his independence within this community from our family support and support of the community.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Default Try this

Quote:
Hi Tracy,

I know all about social work services and how they really do not help. I have a former student who had a brain tumor removed 2 months ago. She is a single mom with 2 little boys. She needed help. If you need financial resources, a group of us put up a donation page for here: Indiegogo: An International Crowdfunding Platform to Raise Money.

If you remember last year a woman was bullied as a bus monitor by some middle school boys who then posted what they did to YouTube. This is the site someone created a send her on a vacation page, it raised $700K. You can read her story there.

I wish you well. I did elder care for 2 years in a similar situation to yours, it is difficult on everyone. Take care and God Bless
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Sage

http://www.winchesterstar.com/articl...roof_injures_4

Habitat for Humanity Workers Injured
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

Is he a vet? If so, the Veteran's Service Officer in your county can give all kinds of help including getting him whatever vet benefits he may qualify for. (In Sumter Co, go to the Co Annex on 466A)

Also, contact the Area Agency on Aging for your county. They all sorts of resources and information for people over 65. I'm not as familiar with FL as I was with other states where I have lived, but he may be eligible for assistance under the Medicaid Waiver program (which was designed to help keep folks out of nursing homes).

Last edited by Bizdoc; 08-12-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Add more resource info
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Sage

Tracey, kudos to you for stepping up to take care of your heart dad. I would start with people you know in social services and medical circles to see where that leads. Dad should have medicare, Yes?
File for SSDI immediately. pm if you need more info..
I think you should be able to get much of what you need from govt sources, some good comes of all the taxes, and someday it's your turn to get some back.

crowdsourcing is a sour note. hope you ignore that advice.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Default Maing Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Tracey, kudos to you for stepping up to take care of your heart dad. I would start with people you know in social services and medical circles to see where that leads. Dad should have medicare, Yes?
File for SSDI immediately. pm if you need more info..
I think you should be able to get much of what you need from govt sources, some good comes of all the taxes, and someday it's your turn to get some back.

crowdsourcing is a sour note. hope you ignore that advice.
For you kitty, sometimes others can help when some turn up their noses...Bus monitor bullying video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2nd uncalled for post from you here IMHO

SSDI should help Karen, you may get turned down the first time, I had a similar accident to the one you describe, I was turned down even though my lungs had collapsed while teaching in school...it may take months to get it, SSI comes first file for that FIRST...there are specific rules I am willing to share from personal files

kitty please post responsibly...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

He is on medicare and had a small pension. Put it out in the public because this is a popular site and thought someone would know someone who could either guide me or help. All advice is helpful. Also posted under support forum. Yes, I am an RN but never cared for a parapelgic nor do i know where to get handicap golfcart, but have seen them here.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum member

Is he a veteran? That would open up a host of resources to him--and probably provide a lot of what you need. Also, if he was a vet, he would have served during a war time and could quality for a non-service connected pension or get classified aid and attendance which would help a lot. there's a VA clinic at the Villages and a major hospital in Gainesville. The injury does not have to be war related. I worked in a VA spinal cord unit once and most of the people there were injured from accidents not during combat.

I'm not living there yet, hope to be soon, but once I'm living there if you still need occasional companions I would help. I have a friend that had a similar thing happen to him. It's heartbreaking.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Tracey, please don't explain why you are posting here, it is entirely appropriate and I'm sorry that anyone was rude to you. I don't have any experience with what you are going through but would like to offer my support in any way that I can. I commend you on your love and dedication to your father. I agree that TV would be a great place for him to live with the right support and I have no doubt that you will find it.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Sage

Gang, this OP is asking for a foundation to help support someone she considers family that is moving into her home. My posts have come from my background as a social worker to steer her to resources that are available and have not been tapped by a person who alleges a medical background and thus should not be clueless and helpless. I'm not heartless...I expect a person to use resources they already have before asking for the public to chip in. For example, Medicare/Medicaid should provide a wheel chair and then a scooter without having to convert a golf cart. If doctors don't think a motorized wheelchair is needed, maybe somebody out there wants to pay for that convenience?

To posters who support the OP's idea of her starting a foundation to crowdsource money without knowing anything to verify whether this situation is genuine,
It must be true that there's a sucker born every minute.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have a friend who is getting information together for me on the costs of the equipment to adapt a golf cart for him. When he gets back to me, I will let you know. I think that would be the first step with the cart.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
He is on medicare and had a small pension. Put it out in the public because this is a popular site and thought someone would know someone who could either guide me or help. All advice is helpful. Also posted under support forum. Yes, I am an RN but never cared for a parapelgic nor do i know where to get handicap golfcart, but have seen them here.
I'm not sure why you think he needs a golf cart. Do you have a doctor's advice for mobility? Why a golf cart? If you don't know how to care for a paraplegic, it seems like you might want to think about patient care doing activities of daily living, preventing decubitus, etc....not about golf carts.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

The Village Parrot heads take on many projects, check if they might might help. Wow,Sorry to hear of this tragedy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.