Sweetbay?

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Sweetbay?

Anyone know when Sweetbay is opening? Thanks!

Becky
Old 10-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Sage
Default Re: Sweetbay?

Becky,

This Saturday, 10/27 at 6 am; they had an insert in Wednesday's Sun with their specials. Looking forward to it!!!

Also, Mallory Country Club restaurant is having its grand reopening this Saturday.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Definitely this Saturday with quite a few giveaways (pineapples to the first 500; Sweetbay cutting board to the first 475; drawings, etc.).

If it's not too busy and you have the time, drop by the flu shot table and say hi! I'll be the one taking all the info, not the shotgiver.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Redwitch, Boy do I wish I could stop by! Forgetting the fact I already got my flu shot but- I am still in Ohio! Hope to be fulltime TV by summer. Thanks tho! Just wanted to see if SB would be open when I come down in Nov! Thanks everyone!

Becky
Old 10-27-2007, 08:20 PM

My wife and I went to Sweetbay this morning just before noon. We knew there would be nuts there waiting for the place to open so that they could get their FREE pineapple. God, were we correct. The place was a ZOO. People madly pushing other people around in order to get a sample of apple, donut holes, etc, etc. What is it with the people living in the Villages? The word FREE turns some of them into mad animals. Even heard a couple of women fighting over a parking space (across the street from Sweetbay because the store parking lot was full). We went inside, walked freely for about 10 paces, and then decided against going any further. Hell, folks, tomorrow the place will be empty like most other stores. No more FREE stuff. Can you imagine people standing in line from 4 or 5 in the morning just to get a $3 piece of fruit?
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

I laughed at your post Cliff! Still in IL and hopefully will be in TV next year.

Have you ever been to a warehouse club??? I was at Costco's yesterday right before lunch. People were in line waiting for those tiny samples of food they give away. It was so frustrating trying to get my cart around lines of people waiting for that toaster oven to signal the sample was ready. Poor lady handing out the samples couldn't even get a toothpick into the frozen hotdog appetizer she heated. People were grabbing them out of her hands.

Do people not eat! It's pathetic to watch these folks actually wait for a tiny piece of food.

Not to say that I haven't sampled myself but I sure don't wait in line or push people out of the way for a morsel of food. If it's there and available, I'll sample but i don't become Evil Knievel and jump my cart to try a sampling!

So, I did get a chuckle when and I'm right up there with you - what people won't do when they hear the word "free"
Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Sage

I went after the openers and before the masses (about 9 am) and was able to walk about the store mostly unimpeded. Just did a recon run...wasn't willing to wait in line to check out. But, I was impressed with what I saw. In addition to being a fully stocked grocery store with reasonable prices there were a lot of extras....the bakery, deli, produce area, seafood, meat, etc. all had a good variety, unusual and natural/organic items, and decent prices. I think this store will do well. I welcome its arrival and also look forward to when the buzz dies down and its a regular pace.

Also, for those outside the Villages, the Mallory Country Club restaurant reopened in the last couple of days. Hooray...glad to see it back in business.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Personally, I think nuts was putting it mildly. It was so bad, the pharmacy asked us to do shots starting tomorrow. I was thrilled at that idea -- there was no breathing room in there today. I did go back about 6:00 pm and it was much better. Not many freebies left, but no mobs, which was just fine by me.

They do have fresh sushi (almost out when I got there but looked decent). The other plus was that they had the best produce I've seen around here. (Yes, we Californians are spoiled when it comes to fruits and veggies!) More importantly, they have a real butcher counter!!!! Great for those special cuts of meat. Happy shopping!

BTW -- If you haven't had your flu shots or found that you're not covered by TV's rec centers' shots, check us out. Flu shots are $25 and we take Medicare (Part B); Blue Cross/Blue Shield and a couple of others (sorry, don't have my paperwork here so I can't remember). There's also a table set up by another company giving free diabetes checks. Not sure if their chloresterol checks are free or at a reduced rate, but might not hurt to check if you need it. If nothing else, drop by and say hi, would love to meet some of you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Just another giggle about the grand opening. The Sun reported yesterday that the first couple to enter the store was a disabled man and his wife who waited to enter starting at 2AM. Can you believe it? I believe the store was scheduled to open at5 8AM and they got there at 2AM. Hell they should have been given a new car for doing a stupid thing like that. :dontknow:
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

I hope that pineapple was good.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 AM

Cliff since you did not go in more than 10 paces you really missed the riot at the meat counter. Word got out that steak was $3.99 llb. The masses went really bonkers. It was shear pandomonium in the back at the butchers block. You would have loved it. And yes I had the same thought as you when I read the paper about the coulple who got there at 2am for a 6 am opening. God help me, but I was in bed sleeping soundly. You know what they say the early bird gets the worm errr pineapple.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 AM
Gold member

Haven't been there yet, but I have heard from folks who have braved the opening weekend. Publix wont be driven out of business by Sweetbay. Some things were priced lower, but then that happens almost every day at all of the supermarkets.

Think it will be more a matter of convenience and drive time for folks south of CR466.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Platinum member

I went this morning for my first visit.

I was favorably impressed with the staff, of whom several definitely went out of their way to offer a solution to any question.

I thought the produce selection looked excellent (particularly the choice in lettuce), but I was not happy with the layout there - too cluttered and tight!

I wasn't looking for meats, this time, but an actual honest-to-goodness butcher counter with live personable butchers is a very positive note, to me!

The low-rise shelves give an open feel that is welcome! And, a somewhat height-challenged lady commented that she could actually reach the top shelf! A plus, indeed!

A non-scientifically devised list of selected items resulted in the fact that Sweetbay was $1.01 more than my recent purchases at Publix! That rather surprised me!

A few items on my usual list weren't immediately apparent, but I suspect I wasn't looking in the right place!

It would be nice to have a floor-plan to complement the list of where to find what!

My bottom-line opinion? I'll try again, but am not quite convinced to give up Publix!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Platinum member

We visited Sweetbay Today. I thought the aisles were very tight making everything very crowded. I'll stay with our Publix.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.