Synvisc Knee Injections

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb88 View Post
Hi Barefoot, have had synvisc injections in both knees on and off for over 5 years.. Then last year I tried synvisc one, which is one shot instead of 3 shots. Had a good result the first shot then 6 months later opted for synvisc one shot again, had a bad reaction and my knee swelled up pretty bad. I no longer qualify for injections from my insurance because of the reaction. The shots worked very well for me until I had the reaction.. I am opting for knee replacement next year, I will be 56.. Heard from too many people that they wish they had their knee(s) replaced earlier because they were so pain free after the operation.
Knee replacement surgery is great the majority of the time but has been a real pain for my wife. She first had her left knee replaced several years ago and about two years later that same knee started giving her problems again. After trying several things they decided to go in and redo the surgery. Seems that the material had deterioated and she was rubbing bone to bone. The material had to be "chipped" out. Time consuming and extremely painful. They then re-did the surgery with a different material. Did her rehab and everything fine for a couple years but now this replacement is acting the same as the first. Have ran several tests and can find nothing wrong but after being on her feet for any period of time, her knee swells up like a balloon. I realze that most all of the knee replacement surgeries go well , it is just not 100% sucessful yet

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Gold member
Default Not as Bad

Not a bad shot, They numb you up your laying down thinking good thoughts a slight sting and its all over-

Not a HUGE needle . This is day three after shot two and I am one Happy Camper.

Herv
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I've had success with Synvisc. The first series of three injections had me pain free for about 2 1/2 years. I'm sure I could have gone a bit longer but when I began having discomfort, I wanted to take care of it before it became really bad again.

My next treatment was with Synvisc One just over a year ago and I've been pain free ever since. As for the pain from the injections...I agree with "bee sting" analogy and it's over in a few seconds. It has been worth the few seconds of pain for the amount of relief I've experienced.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Gold member
Default Right

Coffeebean,

I am pretty darn happy I did this first instead of surgery. Today I got back on the tread mill for a 30 min walk and came off feeling good!

No sharp pain? I'm ALMOST waiting for the final bee sting!

Never heard of the one shot option, Thanks to you I wil ask about that when
I go in Thursday.

Herv
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

My wife is going for synvisc after unsuccessful cortisone treatment. Here's hoping it works, but replies above aren't optimistic. The ndoc gave her 70% chance of success.

I'm having some bad knee pain. Can anyone recommend an orthopedist in the villages for diagnosis and treatment?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Default shots in knee

Bare, I have been getting shots for the last 3 years... They worked wonderfully at first lasting 6-8 months, but now they may last 2 months. The pain in the knee from the shot wasn't too bad though. My pain originally came from a torn meniscus from playing pickle ball thus the shots. Surgery to repair the meniscus wouldn't have worked because knee had too much arthritis.When I go back to Michigan in May, I will have to have knee replacement
Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtopf View Post
My wife is going for synvisc after unsuccessful cortisone treatment. Here's hoping it works, but replies above aren't optimistic. The ndoc gave her 70% chance of success.
Please let us know how your wife's Synvisc shot works. I am most interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma-annie View Post
Bare, I have been getting shots for the last 3 years... They worked wonderfully at first lasting 6-8 months, but now they may last 2 months. When I go back to Michigan in May, I will have to have knee replacement
It sounds as if Synvisc just buys more time before an inevitable knee replacement! I am terrified of more surgery, since I got pulmonary embolisms in both lungs from my arthoscopic surgery in October. I'll definitely be trying Synvisc next. But I have to wait until the inflammation from my knee surgery is gone ... there is a lot of fluid still in one knee and it is swollen (and I've been icing several times a day since October 12).
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Gold member
Default Third shot

Day three after the Third shot and my knee feels sooooooooooooooo much better. Even did some tread mill walking.

Dr chewed on me for this. Said Runners keep me in business, So the cushioned TRUE Tread Mill just got traded back in for the Professional UP right exercise bike.

Less stress on the knee.

Wife likes it better. Hope you get better! Pain is such a PAIN!!!!! Doc told me to hold off on the knee replacement as long as I could/
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Veteran member
Default synvisc knee injections

My husband had the injections, 5 , 1 each week for 5 weeks and they were great. that was almost 3 yeas ago. Dr. Locker in Ocala
Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran;***386
My husband had the injections, 5 , 1 each week for 5 weeks and they were great. that was almost 3 yeas ago. Dr. Locker in Ocala
I've never heard of a series of five shots, were they Synvisc? And the results have lasted for three years? That's incredible.

Question ... Does anyone know if you can have the shots while you still have inflammation from arthroscopic surgery? Or do you have to wait until the swelling and inflammation heal? I'd ask my Orthepedic Surgeon but he's gone skiing for a month!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Default Supartz Knee Injections

I had a series of 5 "Supartz" injections in my painful knee that is bone on bone and needs to be replaced. Supartz is another brand, similar to Synvisc. Since I just had my other knee replaced, I want to wait at least a year or so before replacing the other knee. At first, they told me it would a series of 3 shots (one week apart). The 3 shots did nothing and were very painful. The Doctor then told me, that they now recommend a series of 5 shots....so I had 2 more shots. The 4th shot did nothing. I was very discouraged and didn't want the 5th shot, but I went along with it and had the 5th shot. The P.A. that gave me that shot, told me that it wouldn't help until about 2-3 weeks after the 5th shot. He was right. About 3 weeks after the 5th shot, my pain went away. So, I am now a believer. For anyone that is thinking of having these shots, I hope this helps. Ask for the 5 shot series.

Last edited by dalecrenshaw; 12-28-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw;***474
I had a series of 5 "Supartz" injections in my painful knee that is bone on bone and needs to be replaced. Supartz is another brand, similar to Synvisc. Since I just had my other knee replaced, I want to wait at least a year or so before replacing the other knee. At first, they told me it would a series of 3 shots (one week apart). The 3 shots did nothing and were very painful. The Doctor then told me, that they now recommend a series of 5 shots....so I had 2 more shots. The 4th shot did nothing. I was very discouraged and didn't want the 5th shot, but I went along with it and had the 5th shot. The P.A. that gave me that shot, told me that it wouldn't help until about 2-3 weks after the 5th shot. He was right. About 3 weeks after the 5th shot, my pain went away. So, I am now a believer. For anyone that is thinking of having these shots, I hope this helps. Ask for the 5 shot series.
Dale, that is good information. I've never heard of Supartz. However I just googled the subject, and found that there are a bunch of similar products: Synvisc, Supartz, orothovisc, hyalgan, euflexxa, etc. Many of the products require 3 to 5 shots. Synovisc-One is the type my Surgeon recommends, and it only takes one shot.

However you cannot have Synovisc-One if there is any inflammation. I've been icing for 2 1/2 months but my knee is still swollen from surgery. I guess that means I'll be limping for a while, no pickleball for me!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.