Table Tennis, Ping Pong, a Rose by any other name...

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts
Default Table Tennis, Ping Pong, a Rose by any other name...

As I mentioned in another thread, I am visiting for another week or so in TV. One of the things on my agenda while here is to see if there is an active "open" table tennis group that would welcome a snowbird. I have found a "residents only" club online, but I'm not a resident.
If you know of someone I could contact to get more information, I'd appreciate it.

I have a bad back and I just don't think pickle ball will work for me. Years of playing squash and platform tennis have demonstrated that abrupt bending over for low shots will likely end with me crawling off the court.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

This information was given to me a few weeks ago at the Villages Activities fair and thus should be correct. All of the people who play are very welcoming to new players and visitors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	66553  
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
This information was given to me a few weeks ago at the Villages Activities fair and thus should be correct. All of the people who play are very welcoming to new players and visitors.
This is a good place to start. You could call those rec centers and ask if those are "open play" times, which means anyone can walk in and play. Or, if you're OCD enough, you could go through the rec magazine that comes out on Thursdays (available in the Daily Sun newspaper or free at any rec center) and check each rec center listing to see if they have table tennis and what the times are.

If our son were down here, he'd gladly take you on! But alas... Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

thanks, to all.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

BTW, I stopped by the Colony Cottage Rec Center just to check things out. The first surprise was that it was entirely doubles. The second surprise was that the players were all pretty darn good.
Not a surprise, since I had the same thing happen to me when I checked out the pickleballers, was having several very nice folks come by and invite me and the missus to grab some paddles.
I have never played doubles, and the missus doesn't really play at all, so we didn't want to mess up a good thing, but when I come back for a winter I'll find myself a partner and learn how to get out of a partner's way. It looked like great fun.
Closed Thread

Tags
tennis, table, back, contact, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.