A Takeover of Florida Property Insurance Has Begun!

Old 02-16-2024, 01:49 AM
Default A Takeover of Florida Property Insurance Has Begun!

Hmmmmm

Brighteon
Old 02-16-2024, 08:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,981 Times in 759 Posts

According to Gov Desantis last year Citizens isn't in great shape financially
DeSantis Turns Heads with Comment that Citizens Insurance ‘Not Solvent;’ Board Approves Cat Bond
Old 02-16-2024, 12:19 PM

Suggest that you stick with your carrier and stop shopping for price. Florida is a tough market to make money. Uncertain weather and it is also a very litigious State. The best thing the State could do is extensive Tort Reform. You can’t control the weather… sorry all you Climate Change people.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,417 Times in 1,463 Posts

I got a non-renewal notice yesterday from Progressive. Never had a claim, house will be 7 years old soon, no explanation. I went to an out of town broker that I use for my business insurance and got a quote that is nearly 50% less than Progressive was last year, I still have to compare apples to apples in a couple areas but it looks really good. Also saved me $700 on auto insurance.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I got a non-renewal notice yesterday from Progressive. Never had a claim, house will be 7 years old soon, no explanation. I went to an out of town broker that I use for my business insurance and got a quote that is nearly 50% less than Progressive was last year, I still have to compare apples to apples in a couple areas but it looks really good. Also saved me $700 on auto insurance.
I left Progressive this year and went with KIN (prorated coverage on the roof = -4% / year) and saved almost $700 for equivalent coverage

Fred
Old 02-16-2024, 01:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,345 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
I went to an out of town broker that I use for my business insurance and got a quote that is nearly 50% less than Progressive was last year, I still have to compare apples to apples in a couple areas but it looks really good. Also saved me $700 on auto insurance.
Who did you go with?
Old 02-16-2024, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts
Default looks like you are part of the rebalancing

Quote:
part of the rebalancing of risk slowly, by reducing FL footprint.

Your browser is not supported | pnj.com
Old 02-16-2024, 07:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Most insurance company policies are the same except Citizens. Difference is in the service department(claims) if you have a claim,
Old 02-16-2024, 07:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
I left Progressive this year and went with KIN (prorated coverage on the roof = -4% / year) and saved almost $700 for equivalent coverage

Fred
Jury is out on KIN. They are a brand new company.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

I been with Farmers for years, when the news hit that Farmers was no longer be covering home insurance here in Florida I started shopping around.
Then I got notice that I've been extended for a year.
I'm not sure if it had to do with the timing of my insurance lapse or something else, but if you do have Farmers I would check with your agent.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:59 AM

I did the same thing two years ago, switched to KIN, then last year KIN almost doubled my premium. Needless to say I'm no longer with KIN

Last edited by RickyLee; 02-17-2024 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added
Old 02-17-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
Suggest that you stick with your carrier and stop shopping for price. Florida is a tough market to make money. Uncertain weather and it is also a very litigious State. The best thing the State could do is extensive Tort Reform. You can’t control the weather… sorry all you Climate Change people.
I received a quote from Allstate that was better than my current premium. Then found out that it was with a subsidiary company that was rated B+. Be careful that the company you are going with is rated A or better.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Jury is out on KIN. They are a brand new company.
I’ve had them for 2 years. I have a claim going on now for a leak in my shower floor (possibly pan; will know for sure when tile is removed). They are only going to pay for the actually damaged areas — shower floor, pan, and 24 inches up the wall of the shower. Since it is totally tile and can’t be matched it all has to come out, so we have to pay for the rest of the work. I don’t know if this is the way all insurance companies are as we have never had a problem like this before. But, the insurance is reasonable and saved us a bunch of money when we switched; it did go up about $600 the second year after their intro rate.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Your probably getting better rates because they have your business insurance
Old 02-17-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePeach View Post
I’ve had them for 2 years. I have a claim going on now for a leak in my shower floor (possibly pan; will know for sure when tile is removed). They are only going to pay for the actually damaged areas — shower floor, pan, and 24 inches up the wall of the shower. Since it is totally tile and can’t be matched it all has to come out, so we have to pay for the rest of the work. I don’t know if this is the way all insurance companies are as we have never had a problem like this before. But, the insurance is reasonable and saved us a bunch of money when we switched; it did go up about $600 the second year after their intro rate.
If the leak was caused by shoddy construction or deterioration dye to age, I don't understand why an insurance company should pay a claim at all.

Tags
takeover, florida, property, insurance, begun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.