Is Talk of The Villages spying on me?

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Default Is Talk of The Villages spying on me?

Does Talk of The Villages monitor our Google searches? I ask this because I was using Google to research grill mats and then, an hour later, I accessed Talk of The Villages and to my surprise, there were several advertisements for.....guess what.....grill mats. Needless to say, I'm not amused. I don't think Talk of The Villages should be snooping around my research topics. What happened to our privacy? Have you had the same experience and if so, what steps did you take to prevent this from happening?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnman View Post
Does Talk of The Villages monitor our Google searches? I ask this because I was using Google to research grill mats and then, an hour later, I accessed Talk of The Villages and to my surprise, there were several advertisements for.....guess what.....grill mats. Needless to say, I'm not amused. I don't think Talk of The Villages should be snooping around my research topics. What happened to our privacy? Have you had the same experience and if so, what steps did you take to prevent this from happening?
That is life today sir. It is not done by Talk of The Villages but by the items you research who want to sell you something.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I see items I have shopped on Amazon and relating to searches I have made on many sites, not just TOTV. Big Brother is watching!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I am being followed around right now by pendant lights and Eileen Fisher ankle pants.

But I blame only myself.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
ToTV sells space on their pages which track your searches and then try to match advertising to your "interests". It's a money maker for ToTV. The only thing you can do to prevent, don't sign in to ToTV or use a different computer do perform searches.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Ohhhhhh... that's why I keep seeing ads for extra large condoms.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Doubleclick

Quote:
It is Google that is spying on you. One of the most famous programs is Doubleclick by Google, that records your searches for consumer products and sells that information to the businesses searched.

Then the businesses have ads automatically added to sites such as TOTV. I don't know what kind of compensation TOTV gets for allowing the ads to appear, but it is certainly not TOTV alone that does this.

Doubleclick is know as "spyware" and can "infest" your computer. There are many others. There are several anti-spyware programs available, some for free, others at a cost.

The problem is that you can run the anti-spyware program and delete the spyware, but the next time you click on a web site that uses Doubleclick, you get re-infested. It's easiest to just be aware that your browser searches are monitored and recorded (perhaps also by the government) and live with it.

But, in answer to your question, it's not TOTV. It goes much deeper than that.

DoubleClick - Digital Advertising Solutions
Old 06-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

Not quite correct. Double Click is not a program that infects your PC. It is a web site/ database that according to how the offending page is written goes to report your page usage. You can block requests/ information to Double Click by installing a Social Media blocker in your browser, (sorta like Ad Blocker), such as Ghostery.

Welcome to the world of targeted marketing.

Last edited by SFSkol; 06-28-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Can't find my clicker!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM

They can spy on my water bill problem and tell the appropriate people to look into it! Please
Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry, but if you don't like that, you better stop using the web. It simply comes with the territory.

Maybe if you created your own browser you could stop it. Doubt it. But maybe.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Were you searching "Fantasy Island"???
Old 06-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Gold member

I thought these messages were because of cookies on your pc.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
or was that for Blow Up Dolls?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Not quite correct. Double Click is not a program that infects your PC. It is a web site/ database that according to how the offending page is written goes to report your page usage. You can block requests/ information to Double Click by installing a Social Media blocker in your browser, (sorta like Ad Blocker), such as Ghostery.

Welcome to the world of targeted marketing.
Thanks - did a search on Social Media blocker and found just tons of interesting stuff. Love to learn about these things.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Because of all this snooping and unwanted telephone calls i am about to turn in my cell phone and search for a computer than only runs on floppy disks
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, talk, grill, mats, research

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.