Tankless Water Heater and P1 Error Code when using a Water Recirculation Pump

Old 05-01-2024, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinl271 View Post
An easy free solution. Turn on all the sink hot faucets and the shower in the bathroom. In 30 Sec you get hot water. Turn off the sinks and step in the shower. The tankless systems have a low and a high demand heat setting. With only the shower running it will be in low demand and take about 2 minutes to get hot water. With the sinks on, it will be in high demand. With flow restrictors, its probably a gallon of water in either case.

Some people remove the flow restrictors which has the same effect as shifting the heater into high demand from what I hear.
That is almost exactly what I did.

First , I removed the water restrictor in the shower head .

Then , I turn the hot water to full hot and full volume at the shower head while at the same time , I have the hot water running on ONE of the bath sinks .

In 35~40 seconds, I have piping hot water flowing.

Turn off the sink faucet and then adjust the temp at the shower and turn down the pressure at the shower valve .

Because I removed the restrictor, that last step is necessary because otherwise, the volume of water coming out is too much !

All of this is at our master bathroom, the furthest point from the heater .

Last edited by jarodrig; 05-01-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Is this the only way you can get hot water quicker, I live in Argyle, TX & have a Rheem Tankless water heater & I must run the hot water for 2 or 3 mins. before I get hot water. Is this a solution to get hot quicker that I have to spend more money to have a gizmo put on to get hot water. If I buy another home I guarantee you it won’t have any kind of Tankless Water Heater, besides the home I have now the Tankless water heater is outside the house. Just saying this is stupid. What do you think?
Old 05-01-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinator View Post
I recently moved to The Villages and my home has a Rheem tankless hot water heater. Due to the length of time that it takes to get hot water to the master bath I installed a Watts premier water recirculation pump.

I previously installed the same pump on the water heater at my previous residence with no issues whatsoever. The only difference being that my previous residence had a standard type water heater as opposed to the tankless water heater used in my new home

After installing the pump and setting the timer, the hot water heater would not turn on and displayed a “P1“ error code, which indicates that there was not enough water flow being generated from the pump to the hot water heater in order to get it to turn on.

I’m reasonably certain that some other people have installed water recirculation pumps on tankless hot water heaters and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same error code after doing so? What did you do to correct the situation?

UPDATED 5/1/24 @ 9:57 a.m.
I contacted Mike Scott Plumbing in Wildwood and inquired about having them install a water recirculation pump for a tankless water heater. They informed me that they only provide this service for the standard hot water tank installations - not tankless hot water heaters.

I next contacted RHEEM and described this issue I was experiencing. The support person I spoke with provided me with some documentation on a TACO recirculation unit, however, the installation process was quite a bit more detailed than the solution I initially installed. I inquired about other possible solutions from other manufacturers but the only one they could discuss with any certainty was TACO because that is one of their own brands.

I guess my updated question to the forum is this: Has anyone on this Forum who has a RHEEM tankless water heater installed a water recirculation pump? If so, what brand/model did you use?

Thank you.
You may have installed the pump incorrectly. The pump shouldn't push water into the tank, the tank should push the water through the pump. I have a pump on a normal tank and unplugged it because it was too costly!
Old 05-01-2024, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Is this the only way you can get hot water quicker, I live in Argyle, TX & have a Rheem Tankless water heater & I must run the hot water for 2 or 3 mins. before I get hot water. Is this a solution to get hot quicker that I have to spend more money to have a gizmo put on to get hot water. If I buy another home I guarantee you it won’t have any kind of Tankless Water Heater, besides the home I have now the Tankless water heater is outside the house. Just saying this is stupid. What do you think?
Whatever happened to the good old days. Our first home my uncle a plumber assembled a kit for me. Assorted washers, O rings, packing string and replacement seats. Single box and I had it all. Today, you need to have the proper ballcock to work with your water saver toilet. Only good news is flexible couplings. If, I could only find em I still have the tubing benders you needed and the special wrenches for compression fittings. Far as hot water, the OLD SOLUTION was to insulate the pipes. Our Villages home the master bath is very close to the hot water heater. Our single lever kitchen faucet. Too often we run hot when it should be cold.
You not only pay to heat the water but you pay to run your air conditioner to cool the hotwater in the lines.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote:
There problem is the long water lines, not the water heater.

It takes time to push the cold water out before hot water makes the +50ft journey.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
The tankless recirculating units are much bigger than the non-recirculating units. Maybe you have to change out the tankless unit also. Our recirculating pump at our last house was picky on how it all worked depending on the temp setting of the circulating pump. If you set it too high, the pump would never stop because it was trying to get to a temp that would never materialize from the heater. Too low, and it would not recirculate because it met the desired temp.
When we had our house built we had them install a recirculating water heater. They also installed a return line from our farthest faucet. I’m not sure installing a recirculating unit without a return line would do much good. Maybe they could run a return back through the attic?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-01-2024, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Did you read any of the previous posts ? Including the one (mine) posted just above yours ?

I get hot water to the furthest point in my house in 35 ~ 40 SECONDS !

No gizmos or gadgets involved ….
Old 05-01-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
You may have installed the pump incorrectly. The pump shouldn't push water into the tank, the tank should push the water through the pump. I have a pump on a normal tank and unplugged it because it was too costly!
Thank you for the suggestion, but the pump was installed on the hot water outlet side of the tank as required by the manufacturer and was set in the proper flow direction.

The pump that I installed was a WATTS Premier recirculation pump. I had installed this same model pump in my previous residence on a standard hot water tank with no issues. On the tankless water heater that I have here, the pump does not pump at sufficient volume to activate the hot water heater. The heater evidently requires a certain flow rate in order to turn on the burner(s) and the Watts pump did not pump in the required volume.

I removed the pump and I am back to square one. What I need is a pump that is manufactured to work with a RHEEM Tankless Heater.

RHEEM Tech Support recommended a TACO model: (Kit: AP18403) but that requires a dedicated return line. I'm sure I could probably crawl through the attic and get the piping to install one, but my preferred solution would be to use a pump that incorporates the use of a bridge valve.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:21 AM
Default Rheem is Right! Recycle System Requires a Return Line For Tankless Hot Water System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinator View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, but the pump was installed on the hot water outlet side of the tank as required by the manufacturer and was set in the proper flow direction.

The pump that I installed was a WATTS Premier recirculation pump. I had installed this same model pump in my previous residence on a standard hot water tank with no issues. On the tankless water heater that I have here, the pump does not pump at sufficient volume to activate the hot water heater. The heater evidently requires a certain flow rate in order to turn on the burner(s) and the Watts pump did not pump in the required volume.

I removed the pump and I am back to square one. What I need is a pump that is manufactured to work with a RHEEM Tankless Heater.

RHEEM Tech Support recommended a TACO model: (Kit: AP18403) but that requires a dedicated return line. I'm sure I could probably crawl through the attic and get the piping to install one, but my preferred solution would be to use a pump that incorporates the use of a bridge valve.
Based on many years of designing and troubleshooting complex water distribution systems Rheem is correct. A tankless system requires a dedicated return line. The conventional water heater and tank system works with the Watts system because the tank provides a buffer for both water supply and water temperature control. Cold water enters based on supply line pressure and balanced by the expansion tank bladder. If pressure exceeds the pressure relieving set point the water comes out into wherever the drain line directs it.

The tank heaters turn on and off according to their set points. Temperature change is gradual since the tank inventory slows down temperature change.

The Watts recirculating pump is a low flow rate, low pressure increase pump. The pump only has to provide a small amount of pressure increase to overcome a small amount of piping pressure drop. So it works with a tanked system.

The problem with a tankless system is that it has no storage buffer without a dedicated return line to be able to control the tankless heater within its setpoints. If you have a dedicated return line, initial flow is the inventory of water in the piping which is lower than the setpoint. As you heat the water and send it through the supply line the hot water is cooled by losing heat to the ground. If you now turn on the shower the flow is back to the desired flow range, the heater works, and the temperature controls take over.

So far no responder says they have a working Watts system with a tankless hot water system without a dedicated return line. I do not believe you will find one.

Tags
water, heater, pump, hot, tankless

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.