Tankless Water Heater and P1 Error Code when using a Water Recirculation Pump

Old 04-30-2024, 01:24 PM
Default Tankless Water Heater and P1 Error Code when using a Water Recirculation Pump

I recently moved to The Villages and my home has a Rheem tankless hot water heater. When running one bathroom faucet and the shower at the same time (with the little O-ring in the shower head removed) it takes 1 minute and 16 seconds to get hot water to the shower. Due to the length of time that it takes to get hot water to the master bath I installed a Watts premier water recirculation pump.

I previously installed the same pump on the water heater at my previous residence with no issues whatsoever. The only difference being that my previous residence had a standard type water heater as opposed to the tankless water heater used in my new home

After installing the pump and setting the timer, the hot water heater would not turn on and displayed a “P1“ error code, which indicates that there was not enough water flow being generated from the pump to the hot water heater in order to get it to turn on.

I’m reasonably certain that some other people have installed water recirculation pumps on tankless hot water heaters and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same error code after doing so? What did you do to correct the situation?

UPDATED 5/1/24 @ 9:57 a.m.
I contacted Mike Scott Plumbing in Wildwood and inquired about having them install a water recirculation pump for a tankless water heater. They informed me that they only provide this service for the standard hot water tank installations - not tankless hot water heaters.

I next contacted RHEEM and described this issue I was experiencing. The support person I spoke with provided me with some documentation on a TACO recirculation unit, however, the installation process was quite a bit more detailed than the solution I initially installed. I inquired about other possible solutions from other manufacturers but the only one they could discuss with any certainty was TACO system.

I guess my updated question to the forum is this: Has anyone on this Forum who has a RHEEM tankless water heater installed a water recirculation pump? If so, what brand/model did you use?

Thank you.

UPDATE 5/2/24

After a lot of research I found a solution that works. Another call to Tech Support at RHEEM and I explained the complications involved in installing a dedicated return line and my preference to use a bridge valve. The person I spoke with told me that the specs on the RHEEM tankless heater model that I have requires a minimum of a 5 GPM flow rate and a 25 Head. She explained that as long as I had a way of turning the pump off when the water was heated, that any pump with those specs should work.

I found a pump on Amazon made by BACO Engineering (unfortunately made in China) that has a 20 head and up to 13 GPM flow rate. Since the terrain here is fairly flat and I have a one-story home my hope was that the 20 head would provide an adequate lift to maintain pressure throughout the system to the bridge valve. The pump is equipped with a flow meter that automatically turns off the pump once the water passing through the bridge valve reaches 95 degrees and causes the bridge valve to close.

There were a few minor issues experienced while installing the pump since the pump is chinese and the thread on the male end of the pump inlet didn't seal well on the NPT fitting, but that was resolved with a lot of teflon pipe tape.

The pump tested well and is now equipped with an Alexa plug that has a routine set to turn the pump on/off at designated times. The total cost of installation (Pump + Bridge Valve + CPVC and flex hose fittings was about $190. Some may argue that the juice isn't worth the squeeze, but for me it's more of an issue of saving water. After running the recirculation pump I get reasonably hot water within 10 seconds.

Thanks to those of you who offered advice.

Last edited by Nevinator; 05-02-2024 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Updated/Modified Post
Old 04-30-2024, 01:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,983 Times in 760 Posts

I would check with REHEEM Customer support. The Watts pump is a low volume pump moving water slowly not pressurizing system.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:55 PM

Rheem warranties the original owner only it seems. In any case, the warranty would be limited as the demand is not both temperature and flow controlled.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

How does the circulating water get back to the tankless system when the faucet is closed? I have a regular system and when the pump is running I have a valve that opens between the hot water line and the cold water line and the cold water line is used to returns the hot water to my hot water heater. Sounds like your system is not returning the water.

AI suggest the following. Choose the right recirculation pump for your tankless water heater model.
Install a check valve and sensor valve in the recirculation line.
Install an aquastat on the tankless unit and connect it to the recirculation pump.
Set the temperature on the aquastat to the desired level.
Turn on the pump and test the system to ensure it’s working.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
How does the circulating water get back to the tankless system when the faucet is closed? I have a regular system and when the pump is running I have a valve that opens between the hot water line and the cold water line and the cold water line is used to returns the hot water to my hot water heater. Sounds like your system is not returning the water.

AI suggest the following. Choose the right recirculation pump for your tankless water heater model.
Install a check valve and sensor valve in the recirculation line.
Install an aquastat on the tankless unit and connect it to the recirculation pump.
Set the temperature on the aquastat to the desired level.
Turn on the pump and test the system to ensure it’s working.
It sounds like my system is using either the same, or a similar valve as the one you may have. The water recirculates internally using a diverter valve that is installed beneath a sink which ties the incoming hot water supply line to the cold water supply line and allows water in the hot water supply line to flow into the cold water supply line when the pump is active, thus acting the same as a dedicated return line. The diverter valve has a temperature controlled shut off or check valve inside it so that when the temperature of the water passing from the how water supply side of the valve exceeds a certain temperature, it will close.

I was able to test the valve by simply shutting off the incoming cold water supply at the diverter valve and then turning on the cold water at the faucet. Water flowed from the faucet indicating that water from the hot water side of the diverter valve was being supplied. As the water eventually heated, the water flow slowed and eventually stopped when it reached the prescribed temperature. For that reason I'm pretty sure that the valve is working properly.

From additional testing that I've done, it seems that (as suggested by another forum member) that the pump flow rate of the Watts system is not adequate enough to cause the hot water heater to turn on. As soon as I turn on the pump, the water heater throws a P1 code. If I leave the pump running with the P1 code still active and turn on the hot water inside the home, the P1 code instantly resets and the unit fires up.

At this point I believe that I will try to find another pump that has a higher flow rate. I looked for the GPM or flow rate specs online for the Watts pump but could not find any. There is another pump made by Grundfos that claims it can provide up to 9 GPM.

Thank you for your help and in pointing me in the right direction.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I would check with REHEEM Customer support. The Watts pump is a low volume pump moving water slowly not pressurizing system.
I believe you nailed it! Thanks. I believe I need a higher volume pump.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,281 Times in 2,294 Posts

IMHO, I would also add a timer to turn on your system just before you typically take your shower, otherwise I am GUESSING you will be wasting a lot of energy. On a side note, I turn on the shower to full HOT, wait 30 seconds, move the shower handle to a known comfortable heat setting, and 4 seconds later shower is ready.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,273 Posts

The standard tankless hot water heaters here are not rated for recirculating. This will void the warranty.

Also likely your gas bill will be noticably higher.

Last edited by Altavia; 05-01-2024 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:26 AM

Look at your water bill. Yes, it takes some time for the hot water to reach the faucet. But is saving that volume of water going to make enough of a difference in your bill?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:11 AM

I had the P1 error code intermittently and it was due to a bad regulator from the water supply line to the Rheem (at the Rheem). I Paid $45 for the regulator, $75 for the service call and $25 for the 15 minutes it took to replace it. I use Mike Scott Plumbing. Hope that helps.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

The tankless recirculating units are much bigger than the non-recirculating units. Maybe you have to change out the tankless unit also. Our recirculating pump at our last house was picky on how it all worked depending on the temp setting of the circulating pump. If you set it too high, the pump would never stop because it was trying to get to a temp that would never materialize from the heater. Too low, and it would not recirculate because it met the desired temp.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:09 AM

An easy free solution. Turn on all the sink hot faucets and the shower in the bathroom. In 30 Sec you get hot water. Turn off the sinks and step in the shower. The tankless systems have a low and a high demand heat setting. With only the shower running it will be in low demand and take about 2 minutes to get hot water. With the sinks on, it will be in high demand. With flow restrictors, its probably a gallon of water in either case.

Some people remove the flow restrictors which has the same effect as shifting the heater into high demand from what I hear.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:48 AM

Yeah it's an adjustment. I turn on the hot faucet and do other stuff first, like brush teeth in the bathroom, or set up in the kitchen.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:16 AM

You are dealing with a small quantity of water from the water heater to your shower faucet. In 50 feet of three-quarter Inch CPVC pipe there is only one and 1/3 gallons of water.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shebel View Post
You are dealing with a small quantity of water from the water heater to your shower faucet. In 50 feet of three-quarter Inch CPVC pipe there is only one and 1/3 gallons of water.
Correct, I've measured it takes about a half gallon here.

There is a temperature drop of 5-10 degrees so the efficiency recirculating would not be very good.

Tags
water, heater, pump, hot, tankless

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.