Are tanks allowed to be driven in the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 AM
Default Are tanks allowed to be driven in the Villages?

Tonights news had a human interest story about a villager resident who built
a small scale tank. The reporter was able to drive it in the street. The film also showed it firing a soft projectile down the street. Wonderful. It is legal to operate this vehicle? If not, can this be driven on the golf paths? Can you imagine driving a golf cart or taking a walk and seeing a small tank approach you on the same path. Discussion anyone?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Remember the pathways along the roadway are Multi-purpose paths-not golf cart paths. You can walk, bike, ride (anything I think) on these pathways. Yes, including scooters, 4 wheelers, race cars, etc....the problem arises when you are on the pathway and you must exit to enter a roadway--thus not legal (my understanding) to drive/operate most of the "other" things on the roadway. I don't think Sumter County is enforcing what we drive on the paths--just the stopping at intersections of roadways, speed limits while entering roadways.
I am sorry I missed his invention!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

I'd love to see that tank! Can't imagine it is a hazard to anyone, as the guy who built it no doubt built it with love and passion. He'd never risk damaging it. Bombs away!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,528 Times in 1,919 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret369 View Post
Tonights news had a human interest story about a villager resident who built
a small scale tank. The reporter was able to drive it in the street. The film also showed it firing a soft projectile down the street. Wonderful. It is legal to operate this vehicle? If not, can this be driven on the golf paths? Can you imagine driving a golf cart or taking a walk and seeing a small tank approach you on the same path. Discussion anyone?

If you tell us what network and news show, those among us can find a link and a picture. Was it local? Was it national news? I have seen some pretty amazing things built on a golf cart frame and I see no reason that something that looks like a tank wouldn't have the same privilege as my red cart that has Ohio State on the front.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Gold member

As long as you don't try to go through a cart tunnel you should be OK
Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 AM

Here is a link to the news article.

Villages resident builds T-shirt-shooting mini-tank | Ocala.com
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,937 Times in 792 Posts

I think he sounds like a very reasonable, clever engineer and has no intentions of driving it on the paths. It looks fantastic.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,528 Times in 1,919 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth52 View Post

THANK YOU ELIZABETH.

This quote in the article says it all....

"I wanted this to be a tribute to the troops and their tank that served with distinction in Iraq in 1991," he said, adding that he chose to construct that model because the exterior shape would be easy to duplicate."
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

If he does take it out on the paths I wonder if it can do 20 MPH. If not I would caution all of the impatient golf cart drivers who pass him to remember to use all four fingers when you salute. He is armed with T shirts!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Sage

discussion: I have a genius brother who spent his childhood making rockets go off and making potato guns...he's still at it, firing grapefruit into Kings Bay at Crystal River. I think it's a hoot!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 AM

What a great tribute to the real Hero's, our men and women in the military.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,937 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Dreamer View Post
If he does take it out on the paths I wonder if it can do 20 MPH. If not I would caution all of the impatient golf cart drivers who pass him to remember to use all four fingers when you salute. He is armed with T shirts!

Funny!

Maybe this is what we need to have parked in our driveways to keep the burglars away! They can ask themselves: Is there anybody in that tank? Do I feel LUCKY today?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Sage

Before I moved to The Villages, I lived in the Washington DC 'burbs. I was a member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association through the local chapter. Many of the members had rebuilt military vehicles from around the world and loved showing them at various exhibitions. I did not have one but sure did enjoy seeing what others had rebuilt. Many of the guys put lots of time and lots of money into the restorations.

I have attached a link to their website if you are interested in taking a look.

Washington Area Collectors / Blue & Gray Military Vehicle Trust
Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I wonder if the 'girl's posse' could get Vince to let us use the tank as a mascot!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think he sounds like a very reasonable, clever engineer and has no intentions of driving it on the paths. It looks fantastic.
Good looking model tank. You guys had me worried a bit. There was a real tank that used to come onto the University of Nevada, Reno campus when the National Guard was recruiting there. Or, maybe, it was some other military branch. Those things are very noisy and probably put an awful lot of strain on roads not meant to handle that much concentrated weight. Can imagine what a tank tracks would do to a golf course.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.