Tap water PH level in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Tap water PH level in The Villages

Could someone please tell me what the PH level of The Villages tap water is? I have tropical fish and am wondering how much water maintenance will be needed. Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
Could someone please tell me what the PH level of The Villages tap water is? I have tropical fish and am wondering how much water maintenance will be needed. Thanks
District Utilities Customer Service
Phone: 352-750-0000
Fax: 352-751-3911
Email Contact: utilities@districtgov.org.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

LOL at your avitar
Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
I'm not so sure that the water PH level at the source would necessarily be the same at your tap. There are variables that could affect it. i.e. temperatures

I would feel more comfortable using a PH test kit to check it from the tap rather than advise from others, then treat as may be necessary to insure the health of the fish! Here is one fresh water source for information on this topic:

Aquarium Water Testing - All About Aquarium Water Testing

Since you didn't mention if it was fresh water or salt water, here's information on salt water:

Tap Water Purification Methods - Ways to Purify Tap Water Before Use in Aquariums - Purifying Tap Water
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone tested their water at their taps for either an aquarium or pool and could relay the results. I'm just curious. (The mind is a terrible thing to waste...) We currently in PA have horrible 6.2 acidic water. When I was in Baltimore we had 7.4, more alkaline water which was great for partial water changes. Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone tested their water at their taps for either an aquarium or pool and could relay the results. I'm just curious. (The mind is a terrible thing to waste...) We currently in PA have horrible 6.2 acidic water. When I was in Baltimore we had 7.4, more alkaline water which was great for partial water changes. Thanks
Sorry, I can't test at the tap, but I can tell you our pool reading was 7.8 on the first testing after the pool was filled. Unfortunately, I don't really think that or anyone's pool reading will do you much good though. Our pool was filled on 9/20 and the first reading was on 10/1. The PH was undoubtedly altered because of the sun and treatments between the fill and the reading.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Tap water

The Tap water at our home in Sanibel has a PH reading between 7.5 and 8. The chlorine reading at times is "off the charts" (above 5) at times. We were bleaching color clothes. Installed a water filter that removes chlorine. No more problems with the clothes, but PH is still high.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Platinum member

Our tap water comes from various sources. Pool water is usually treated to maintain a certain PH level.

Were I you, I would test, or have tested, my own tap water. If I remember correctly, from my pool owning days, a kit to teat for PH can be purchased at a nominal cost at a pool supply outlet.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
The Tap water at our home in Sanibel has a PH reading between 7.5 and 8. The chlorine reading at times is "off the charts" (above 5) at times. We were bleaching color clothes. Installed a water filter that removes chlorine. No more problems with the clothes, but PH is still high.
That is exactly what I needed to know. I'll need to bring some Sodium biphosphate along, as I've never needed it here. Thanks!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.