Taste of the South

Old 04-30-2024, 03:52 PM
Default Taste of the South

This magazine is chock full of recipes - this month there’s Coconut/Sour Cream cake! They put out both savory and sweet confections and what I like most is they don’t call for 1/4 cup of something you never heard of and aren’t likely to use again.

Bon appetit!
Old 04-30-2024, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
This magazine is chock full of recipes - this month there’s Coconut/Sour Cream cake! They put out both savory and sweet confections and what I like most is they don’t call for 1/4 cup of something you never heard of and aren’t likely to use again.

Bon appetit!
You will find southern recipes vary from family to family. Past down multi generations and kept close.

My Blackberry jam cake recipe (only made for Christmas) is from my great great gran. It took me 10 years, and multiple repeat lessons to finally get it right. In all the years and all the Jam cake recipes I have found in cookbooks, Southern Living, internet some are close, some are way off.
The only similarities in my pimento cheese recipe from others is Dukes. Every aunt made it slightly different. In a real pinch I will buy Prices, but my mom knew the second she saw the platter, it was Container cheese, not fresh grated.

If you want really good recipes try used book stores for old southern cookbooks. Especially love the school and church cookbooks that were sold as fundraisers, listing their name and how it was passed down. Most have very simple recipes, that are quick, easy, but don’t count on low calories
Old 04-30-2024, 07:59 PM

This gal with Hungarian ancestry will eat most anything that requires sour cream !!
Old 05-01-2024, 04:48 AM
Veteran member

Let us know how the cake turns out. Sounds yummy! We are having homemade chicken pot pie for dinner tonight. I usually follow Emeril's recipes. That man can kick it up a notch and then some! His banana cream pie is to die for. Not a fan of Paula Deen. We went to her restaurant in Georgia and everyone left hungry. Food was bland and most was left on our plates.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 05-01-2024 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,479 Times in 2,556 Posts

All the celebrity chefs seem to do these days is mutilate the original recipes with additives etc. that at times are near impossible to obtain.
They are running out of ideas, and killing flavors with over spicing, weird ingredients, just to be trendy.
Stick with grandma, and old cook books!

Tags
taste, cup, don’t, call, 1/4

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.