Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2021, 03:04 PM

We use Xfinity internet and get 800mbs speeds and we don't have their fastest option. It is reliable and stable. Their cable service is also good but expensive. We will try YouTube TV, which we use in our summer home when we get back. You should also be able to get Spectrum internet/cable service but I can't comment on price or quality. I do know that there is fiber optic cables to the house but I don't know who, if anyone, connects to these fiber cables.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Don’t go with CenturyLink! They raise your bill monthly. I spent more time on the phone with them than I can tell you. Terrible!
Old 07-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The only downside to comcast that I've personally experienced, is having to renegotiate the price before your year of "discounted promotion" ends. Trying to talk with anyone there requires more patience than I have, so I end up annoyed by the time someone actually answers the phone.

I always get what I want from them though. It's just an hour of aggravation every year that I would prefer to do without.
My contract is about to expire. I called to renegotiate this morning and had only a 3 minute wait. Still not satisfied with the price I was quoted but I have 2 weeks to research and try again.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Comcast, Spectrum, depending where you are located, also Verizon and T Mobile now offer wireless internet in the Villages.
I had FIOS with Verizon when I lived in NJ. It was by far the best service I’ve had. I wish they were here.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

A lot of people make two mistakes when dealing with Xfinity. First of all, they don't know when their contract expires. So, the monthly rate increases and they get mad at Xfinity because they don't realize that it is because they no longer have a contract. And, second, they try to establish a new contract by talking to Xfinity on the phone with someone who is trying to make a huge commission on an upsale. Don't do that. Know when your contract expires, and make a personal appointment with the Xfinity store several weeks in advance of the contract expiration date, so you can meet in person and discuss all of the available discount plans with a live person, face to face.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

CenturyLink does not raise my monthly bill. I have a "one price for life deal". The price is fixed unless I change the level of service. I do, however, only have internet access with them. I agree that talking on the phone, on the rare occasions when I needed to, was a bit painful. However, their internet service has been reliable and they do deliver the bandwidth they promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
Don’t go with CenturyLink! They raise your bill monthly. I spent more time on the phone with them than I can tell you. Terrible!
Old 07-28-2021, 05:28 PM

Most of the newer homes have Quantum Fiber all ready at the house. You will see a loop somewhere on the side of your house where the cable comes in. It was owned by Century Link and spun off to Quantum Fiber. $65/month for bi-directional 1Gb internet.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Also if and when other services become available it is worth changing?

Thanks in Advance
I’m a tech geek too. I have 1.2 GB for my download speed and it’s been very reliable with Xfinity.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
EdFNJ: We're about to cut the Comcrap TV cable and keep "Blast Internet" with YouTube TV. How do you find out how much data we use each month?
"$50iirc" ?

TIA, Skip
I use the Xfinity app and it shows your monthly usage. You can also login to your router and there will be someplace that can show you your monthly usage.

If you strike out, let me know. I’m happy to help you figure it out.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:03 PM

I am not sure if many of you realize the fastest and greatest internet speed you may have is only as good as the device you are using . Think of this way you pay for a gigabit internet plan but your fastest device whether it be a computer , smart phone , gaming box or streaming device is only able to go as fast 100mbps due to the hardware limitations in the device, so your paying for a extra 900mbps which you'll never use unless you upgrade to a device capable of reaching that speed
Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 PM

We have centurylink fiber into the house, they call it 1 Gigabit service, typically runs 7 to 800 m/b. Not available in all sections of The Villages. $65/mo for life incl tax
Old 07-28-2021, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
I am not sure if many of you realize the fastest and greatest internet speed you may have is only as good as the device you are using . Think of this way you pay for a gigabit internet plan but your fastest device whether it be a computer , smart phone , gaming box or streaming device is only able to go as fast 100mbps due to the hardware limitations in the device, so your paying for a extra 900mbps which you'll never use unless you upgrade to a device capable of reaching that speed
I don't think people who pay for 1GIG or 400Mbs service have devices that old, they usually know what they are doing.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
Hi How are you able to get a 2 yr price plan? I am near Lake Deaton plaza using Comcast. My patio villa is a rental. I ask for a long term plan and they plan tell only 12 month is available. I play the cat and mouse game with them 1 year its in my wife's name and next year its in mine to get the promotional pricing. I have gone from $55 for 50mbps and 30 channels to $75 100mbps and 10 local streaming channel using my own roku. I would like too just get internet and use the streaming service Locast.org for about $60.00 a year. Comcast will not offer just internet only as a existing customer but as a new customer its available Spectrum I believe is available in my area now With Spectrum I would also have to play the cat and mouse game with them after 12 months
Its ridiculous what charge and they wouldn't give a long term pricing . I use a company here in Rochester NY which is fiber optic into the house a flat $50.00 a month forbase service 500 down and currently due to covid 500 up which I been paying for the 2yr I had the service none of this bs promotional prices
Leo
Certain packages (usually the ones with the 400Mbps and above) internet tier which I have are 2 years unless it has changed since Mid Feb when I renewed. You also need a TV service as well. NEVER CALL THEM, ALWAYS DO IT ONLINE!
Old 07-28-2021, 11:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
EdFNJ: We're about to cut the Comcrap TV cable and keep "Blast Internet" with YouTube TV. How do you find out how much data we use each month?
"$50iirc" ?

TIA, Skip

Just login to your online account and go to this link: Xfinity xFi

or get the app on your cellphone. This is from my PC.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-07-29_0-00-08.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	90244  
Old 07-29-2021, 09:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
This is from my PC.
Wow you are getting close to the 1229 GB monthly limit. I see why you would want unlimited service.
One problem users have is that they don't shut down the streaming apps when they are done watching. That means that the app keep streaming all day whether you are watching or not. We make sure we "EXIT" every app (keep going "Back") when we're done viewing.
Thanks for the info.

Skip
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, service, geek, tech, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.