Tech issue

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2023, 02:53 PM

Have internet service- it is just that wifi connectivity is lost and needs a modem reboot- i called the ISP and they told me that since it is a 3rd party modem, they cannot do a remote reboot-If I lease theirs, they can
Old 09-26-2023, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
Have internet service- it is just that wifi connectivity is lost and needs a modem reboot- i called the ISP and they told me that since it is a 3rd party modem, they cannot do a remote reboot-If I lease theirs, they can
Well, then, your only obvious and possible answer was first posted in post #3 and multiple times after that: iGet an electronic or mechanical wall timer like 5 others mentioned.

You can't access your modem from the outside unless you have the external WAN address (which changes anywhere from hourly to daily to weekly to ???? Depending on ISP )and your router configured to allow remote control. WIFI would have nothing to do with it as it would be the physical wired router you would be accessing, not wifi.

ASSUMING your internet is working (internet does not = wifi) You could also use a remote desktop access app like LOGMEIN to get to your WIRED (NOT WIFI) computer then from there access the router and force a reboot.

You are making a very simple project ($10 timer) more difficult.

Bottom line is you CANNOT DO IT REMOTELY NOW if you are not there to set everything up first and even then it will take a very tiny glitch to fubar it.

USE A WALL TIMER! Cheap simple solution. But you first need to be there once to set it up.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Well, then, your only obvious and possible answer was first posted in post #3 and multiple times after that: iGet an electronic or mechanical wall timer like 5 others mentioned.

You can't access your modem from the outside unless you have the external WAN address (which changes anywhere from hourly to daily to weekly to ???? Depending on ISP )and your router configured to allow remote control. WIFI would have nothing to do with it as it would be the physical wired router you would be accessing, not wifi.

ASSUMING your internet is working (internet does not = wifi) You could also use a remote desktop access app like LOGMEIN to get to your WIRED (NOT WIFI) computer then from there access the router and force a reboot.

You are making a very simple project ($10 timer) more difficult.

Bottom line is you CANNOT DO IT REMOTELY NOW if you are not there to set everything up first and even then it will take a very tiny glitch to fubar it.

USE A WALL TIMER! Cheap simple solution. But you first need to be there once to set it up.
As I said , that is what I am going to do when I get back up north- just responding to a few replies that were trying to be helpful WITHOUT a TONE

Sorry to have UPSET you so much over such a SIMPLE issue
Closed Thread

Tags
power, reboot, neighbor, modem, manufacturer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.