Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2023, 08:56 AM

UPS will not help- it maintains power- I need a power off/on cycle
Old 09-22-2023, 06:44 PM
Default WIFI switch outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
would a wifi switch outlet work if the modem will not connect
You need to look for one that runs a schedule. I have a WYZE and it runs a schedule. Once it's set up, it will run the schedule until it's changed. About $16
Wyze Plug | Best Smart Plug, Wi-Fi Outlet & Wall Plug
– Wyze Labs, Inc
Old 09-23-2023, 07:05 AM

I use the 5gstore remote power ip switch on Amazon. It’s pricey but it works. Senses outage and recycles modem and router as required until it senses they are restored.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

you shouldn't have to reboot the modem/router if you have an outage. If this occurs more than a couple times a year, switch ISP. Or have the ISP go thru your log files to see what is exactly happening. All modem/routers should be auto-reconnect devices.
Don't do a timer work around, just setup your internet properly and it should be up 99% for the whole year, year after year
Old 09-23-2023, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Available in article is a list of modem id addresses.

Just a moment....

Those are INTERNAL LAN addresses. He needs the outside WAN address which he won't be able to get remotely and even if he could if his internet connection is down it won't work PLUS even with it you can't just access your remote network without first configuring your router to allow it. . The BEST suggestion is an automatic switch with no connection whatsoever to internet or wifi. You can get them just about anywhere like Lowes, Amazon, Walmart etc. Simple programmable timer. The ISP can't help if the modem isn't accessible and they can't access it from the outside (WAN).

Cheap and simple example of one: Amazon.com

There are mechanical ones available for $5 or less on eBay as well as Amazon. Simple Google search for electronic timer will find hundreds of them.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:36 AM

My Asus router has the option to automatically reboot my router daily, weekly, monthly. I have it set to reboot once per week at 3am.

No need to purchase an external timer/device if your router has this feature.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Those are INTERNAL LAN addresses. He needs the outside WAN address which he won't be able to get remotely and even if he could if his internet connection is down it won't work PLUS even with it you can't just access your remote network without first configuring your router to allow it. . The BEST suggestion is an automatic switch with no connection whatsoever to internet or wifi. You can get them just about anywhere like Lowes, Amazon, Walmart etc. Simple programmable timer. The ISP can't help if the modem isn't accessible and they can't access it from the outside (WAN).

Cheap and simple example of one: Amazon.com

There are mechanical ones available for $5 or less on eBay as well as Amazon. Simple Google search for electronic timer will find hundreds of them.
^ This is the correct answer.

If the modem has lost connection completely then the ISP can’t reach it either. On a related note, there’s something wrong with your connection or your modem if it loses connection that often.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 09-24-2023, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
My Asus router has the option to automatically reboot my router daily, weekly, monthly. I have it set to reboot once per week at 3am.

No need to purchase an external timer/device if your router has this feature.
Interesting, but most probably don't, especially those provided by one's local internet provider that are combo modem/router. Interesting though, I just got an ASUS GT-AX11000 and never noticed that option, although I didn't look for it but I did go through the interface. Will have to look for it just to see if it's there.

EDIT: Yea, cool, it's there, about 5 menus deep! It is under Advanced Settings \ Administration \ System page \ Basic Config \ Enable Reboot Scheduler

Don't need it but thanks for the tip.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:46 PM

VillageTinker nailed it. Connect the modem to the timer. Set timer for a quick off and back on in the overnight hours. Case closed. In my book, it's really the simplest solution. And it's foolproof.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Interesting, but most probably don't, especially those provided by one's local internet provider that are combo modem/router. Interesting though, I just got an ASUS GT-AX11000 and never noticed that option, although I didn't look for it but I did go through the interface. Will have to look for it just to see if it's there.

EDIT: Yea, cool, it's there, about 5 menus deep! It is under Advanced Settings \ Administration \ System page \ Basic Config \ Enable Reboot Scheduler

Don't need it but thanks for the tip.
Lynksys and TpLink also provides an auto reboot option in many of their routers. Netgear does not provide this function to any routers that I know of.

My Xfinity modem also does not have any auto reboot function, but Xfinity tech support can reboot it remotely as long as they still have communication to the modem. I think other modems would have the same functionality (tech support reboot by phone) as long as the modem is still communicating upstream.

I tried TMobile home internet for a while. Had many problems with loss of internet. When I would call TMobile tech support, they would always start out by remotely rebooting my TMobile modem … So in this case the upstream connection never failed because they were able to force the reboot.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:43 PM

If you have Spectrum, you can log into your account from UpNorth and reboot your TV modem remotely yourself.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Available in article is a list of modem id addresses.

Just a moment....
I'm sorry but this got me laughing...... that doesn't work. those are default router addresses which face the internal not external network .....

Thanks I needs a good one.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
If you have Spectrum, you can log into your account from UpNorth and reboot your TV modem remotely yourself.
Missed the part about how it lost connection ?
Old 09-25-2023, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
you shouldn't have to reboot the modem/router if you have an outage. If this occurs more than a couple times a year, switch ISP. Or have the ISP go thru your log files to see what is exactly happening. All modem/routers should be auto-reconnect devices.
Don't do a timer work around, just setup your internet properly and it should be up 99% for the whole year, year after year
I agree with this comment, only in strange cases have I needed to reboot my modem, AND very seldom. Out of three modems at three different houses, I maybe once a year have to shut off a modem and restart it.

And with the one which had a persistent problem, the modem was faulty, and was replaced by charter as well as the coax cable connector had an issue which was a contributing cause, which was replaced.

I think that you need a modem eval from your ISP or a new modem.

YMMV
Old 09-26-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Missed the part about how it lost connection ?
No, I didn't. Assuming there is no service outage, to fix a lost connection you do a reboot. The modem can be rebooted in 3 ways:
1. Hard reboot (unplug and replug or hit power switch, but must be physically present to do this way)
2. Call ISP and have them reboot the modem remotely from their side.
3. If you have Spectrum, log into your account on any computer anywhere in the world and click on "reboot my modem", which presumably is identical in nature to a phone call, without having to wait on hold for a rep.

The problem is if you have a separate router and are not onsite to do a hard reboot. That's where the mechanical timer helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
power, reboot, neighbor, modem, manufacturer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.