Tee times for 2

Old 04-08-2024, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I have tried for several days to get a tee time for 2 on an executive course. None available after until 4 in the afternoon or early in the morning, except chip and put courses (always available times). After 4 is too late because of taking care of my Dad. Any suggestions?
Here is our system....Village Net web site...7 days ahead...sometimes 3 days...list 20 courses based on the nearest one to us. Then we put in a five hour window...say 11:00 to 4:00. Next we chose time over course. We get a tee time every time. Not saying this is the answer. It works for us all the busy golf season. The pitch and putts are not on our golf course choice list. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2024, 07:05 AM

This ^^^

Learn to plan ahead.

For same day tee times, you have to call starter shack to see if there is anything available or any cancellations.

Otherwise, 3-4 days before your desired day, early in the morning.

Online checking at the website is definitely easier than using the phone system for tee times, or calling the desired starter shack.

I play in several groups, numbering 12 to 28 people weekly.

We are rarely shutout. We all submit our days we wish to play for the next month, and one of the players enters a request into the system.

I've helped at times when our organizer is not available, as has my wife.

Plan ahead for better results. Things will be getting easier.

Let's play!
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 04-08-2024, 07:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to CCristella Send a message via Yahoo to CCristella

Make Tee Times 7 Days in advance. Give 1 hour spreads between times. Name 8 -10 courses
Old 04-08-2024, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Keep in mind that by the time the new holes open up there will be a lot more homes sold down that way to fill those holes up with players.
And I'm sure they already have future courses on their schedule to be built...

We just don't know about them...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-08-2024, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You got that correct, it's not about the number of holes in a vacuum. The relevant statistic is the number of holes, both Championship and Executive, per rooftop. That key statistic has been on a steady decline for about the last 10 years, and the new golf planned won't come anywhere close to getting the statistics back to where there were around 2014.
But we're continually being told (mostly by those buying south of 44) that golf is a dying sport and no one is playing anymore...

Personally, golf was a MAJOR factor in why we decided to buy in TV.

It was also a MAJOR factor in why we bought a resale north of 44...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-08-2024, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, they may not “need” the golf courses to drain water from the houses during storms. Which was the original reason why the northern areas had so many courses. Later on it became a sales thing. It became popular. Now new comers are going to learn to play if for no other reason than because they want to join their social groups - Tuesday; ladies golf, Thursday; mixed golf, Saturday; couples golf etc on their street (and we are not talking pitch and putt - that’s just for learning). I can see Mr Schwartz smiling. Everyone a member of a country club even blue collar people. He had vision.

But the southern areas seem to be getting baseball fields, a lot smaller than golf courses and much cheaper to maintain. But, how many older people, I mean really? will play baseball into their 90’s. The pressure is on the developer to keep to the sales promise about golf. And retired people have a lot of time on their hands.
They originally built golf courses in order to drain water?

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to increase the # of retention ponds?

No, they built golf courses to attract people to come. Golf was (and still is) a MAJOR draw. They ALSO used said courses as part of their flood control system...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-08-2024, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
They originally built golf courses in order to drain water?

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to increase the # of retention ponds?

No, they built golf courses to attract people to come. Golf was (and still is) a MAJOR draw. They ALSO used said courses as part of their flood control system...
Well, there was a lot of land used for drainage and shaping it for golf was a splendid idea. And Mr Schwartz played the violin, not golf from what I know, but he wanted the best for everybody. Retention ponds would not have been as classy or functional.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-08-2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, there was a lot of land used for drainage and shaping it for golf was a splendid idea. And Mr Schwartz played the violin, not golf from what I know, but he wanted the best for everybody. Retention ponds would not have been as classy or functional.
Sorry, but from day one, golf was a major draw... They didn't start using them for drainage until they moved south of 441.

That is why they occasionally have flooding in the Historic areas...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-09-2024, 07:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,211 Times in 764 Posts

Play later in the day, late afternoon to early evenings.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry, but from day one, golf was a major draw... They didn't start using them for drainage until they moved south of 441.

That is why they occasionally have flooding in the Historic areas...
You weren’t here in 1990, or before, I guess, my uncle was. The use of golf carts was because it was a cheap, easy way to get around and not because of golf. The people who could afford only the prefab houses appreciated cheap transportation. If people actually think that from day one golf was a major draw they are not thinking historically or they are trying to rewrite history. I am not sure exactly when they started the drainage, though.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-09-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
You weren’t here in 1990, or before, I guess, my uncle was. The use of golf carts was because it was a cheap, easy way to get around and not because of golf. The people who could afford only the prefab houses appreciated cheap transportation. If people actually think that from day one golf was a major draw they are not thinking historically or they are trying to rewrite history. I am not sure exactly when they started the drainage, though.
Well, considering the conversation I had with a gentleman who is still in his original house that he bough 40 years ago, you're wrong...

Golf carts were garbage back then (compared to today...)

Golf was THE big draw to TV back then... He dealt directly w/Harold Schwartz. He was on a golf trip to Miami (Doral) when he heard about TV. He and his wife decided to stop by TV on their way home to RI. Golf was the main promotion back then...

Mr Schwartz called him several times once he returned home, trying to lure him back to purchase a home... It worked!

-Tom Petty
Old 04-09-2024, 02:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, considering the conversation I had with a gentleman who is still in his original house that he bough 40 years ago, you're wrong...

Golf carts were garbage back then (compared to today...)

Golf was THE big draw to TV back then... He dealt directly w/Harold Schwartz. He was on a golf trip to Miami (Doral) when he heard about TV. He and his wife decided to stop by TV on their way home to RI. Golf was the main promotion back then...

Mr Schwartz called him several times once he returned home, trying to lure him back to purchase a home... It worked!
Which year? And which district? Just curious.

My parents has a seasonal home on Dustin Dr houses built in late 80’s not far from where Mr Schwartz had his places. And uncle was in district 1 houses built there about 1990’s. Houses prices around $50,000 or less - the price was the real draw. The golf carts could be lousy, the placed was small, they did not have far to go. But the big thing was the people could go grocery shopping with them even if they had to cross the bridge.

Aside: I just played Mira Mesa and it is in lovely condition. And no wonder, even as we played a guy was out there spraying the few weeds around.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-09-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Which year? And which district? Just curious.

My parents has a seasonal home on Dustin Dr houses built in late 80’s not far from where Mr Schwartz had his places. And uncle was in district 1 houses built there about 1990’s. Houses prices around $50,000 or less - the price was the real draw. The golf carts could be lousy, the placed was small, they did not have far to go. But the big thing was the people could go grocery shopping with them even if they had to cross the bridge.

Aside: I just played Mira Mesa and it is in lovely condition. And no wonder, even as we played a guy was out there spraying the few weeds around.
Well, according to my math (checks notes)... 2024 - 40 = 1984...

He's in the "Historic" section, so either Silver Lake, Orange Blossom Gardens or Country Club Hills...

Back then, you had 1 1/2 - 2 years to "build" once you bought a lot...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-10-2024, 04:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,711 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
And I'm sure they already have future courses on their schedule to be built...

We just don't know about them...
I'm sure you are correct. My point was that people try to convince me that when the new courses open up this will have a major impact of reducing the traffic on the current courses, and I suggest that they won't, because by the time they open up there will be even more people to use them than there are now, using the current courses available.

Unless the development model changes, and the developer starts opening courses earlier in the overall scheme, the new courses will continually lag behind demand. In other words, what we see now with current "rooftop to golf holes" ratio, is the "new normal".

Tags
tee, times, put, courses, late

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.