Teens on golfcarts

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Sage
Default Teens on golfcarts

Not sure what happened last night...it was so fast! We were coming home from an event around 10pm over by Buena Vista and Bailey Trail making a turn into a tunnel when we nearly got hit head-on by a cart with young people (possibly teens---it was dark). There were two carts actually---the front one was being reckless, no doubt about it and had their lights on. The 2nd one was equally reckless, if not more so as their lights were off! They were laughing and yelling after it happened. It happened so quickly.....but the thought of what might have happened was frightening!! IF these were grandkids visiting...BIG SIGH!!! Also...think they had gas-carts as they were loud and seemed to be going quite fast!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Not sure what happened last night...it was so fast! We were coming home from an event around 10pm over by Buena Vista and Bailey Trail making a turn into a tunnel when we nearly got hit head-on by a cart with young people (possibly teens---it was dark). There were two carts actually---the front one was being reckless, no doubt about it and had their lights on. The 2nd one was equally reckless, if not more so as their lights were off! They were laughing and yelling after it happened. It happened so quickly.....but the thought of what might have happened was frightening!! IF these were grandkids visiting...BIG SIGH!!! Also...think they had gas-carts as they were loud and seemed to be going quite fast!!!
Trust me, it's not just the gas carts that go fast. I was in my car this morning on a street where the speed limit was 25 (I was going 25) and a guy on an electric cart (not street legal, either) passed me like I was sitting still.

I don't understand why the grandparents/parents turn the kids loose in carts, old enough or not. Obviously, these kids did not have enough maturity to be driving anything.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 AM

The. Courses don't allow anyone to drive a golf cart under 18 if I remember right?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmen View Post
The. Courses don't allow anyone to drive a golf cart under 18 if I remember right?
In Florida, the legal age to drive a golf cart is 14, even on the streets....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Default Complaints

Teens driving fast! Your kidding! I've been on this blog for 5 years, and for the last several years, a lot of folks seem to have complaints about almost everything. Lighten up folks.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Sage

I've also almost been hit head on coming out of a tunnel and it is very upsetting. It is definitely something you remember the next time you are in a tunnel. I don't blame them for being upset.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I have also been very close to being hit head on by a couple teenagers on the rec. path on El Camino Real. I have no objection to them driving,... except when they're on my side of the path coming from the other direction!

Please continue to remind your visiting children and grandchildren to be safe out there. The Villages is fun but lets not have the party on the golf carts while they're in motion,....please.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Eternal Member

It is spring break and Easter. This usually goes on for about two weeks.

Eventually you will probably read a report in the Daily Sun about someone(s) in cart carts destroying some greens on a golf course or two.

If you live near or on a golf course and you see lights on the courses at night when they do not belong there, please call the cops on them.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran member
Default not teens this time

And I was almost hit head on by a lady my age on a section of a cart path on Beuna Vista recently. She was on the wrong side of the divided path yacking on a cell phone with me blowing my horn...I pulled off to the grass...buzzed right by me without a clue. It's not just the youngsters!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Head On

Not only the TEENS!. Yesterday coming back from Publix going thru the tunnel by Havana I was going towards Havana, 2 carts going towards the golf course cut the corner short and entered the tunnel in MY lane. Thank goodness I was not a little closer. Wednesday coming back from TVRH going thru the tunnel by 466& Morse 2 bicycles came thru the tunnel cut the corner sharp and came out of the tunnel in the uncoming lane. Both times they were grown men. What is the hurry people. We've had way to many accidents. Slow Down!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Sage

MY point...it was dark, it was night and these kids were definately horsing around coming out of a tunnel and we HAD NO idea (emphasis added, not shouting) that they were headed our way. The approach to the tunnel is a blind corner and they came around the corner out of the tunnel and nearly hit us head-on. It was frightening! They were whooping and hollering and it wasn't funny to us! I didn't have my phone otherwise would have called 911.
I realize that grown-ups, plenty times, screw up here---I get that! Folks, if your grandkids are down here by all means have fun and enjoy your time. BUT if you allow them to use your carts and they have an accident are you willing to also suffer the reprocussions?? A head-on golf-cart accident in the dark, going the speed that they were could have been fatal!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Default CHILDREN driving golf carts!

Yes, it's scary to think of teens feeling their oats while driving golf carts, but since being down in TV, we have seen children as young as 10 driving golf carts. PLEASE.....grandparents....do NOT let your visitors under the age of 14 drive a golf cart. It is extremely dangerous, not to mention, illegal. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Where is Enforcement

Where is the enforcement of the law regarding age and speed limits for
carts? Why is the sheriff's dept. absent or ignoring the problems. This is
like the tip of the iceberg for The Villages. Last evening we drove through
(in our cart) Sumter Landing. There were more that 15 kids hanging out
in front of the theater and most appeared to be under the age of 15. Then
driving back Cody's had the music so loud that it was a scurge to anyone
in the area and no enforcement by the Sheriff's Dept. It is time they became
involved in some of the loss of a good community enviorement.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Where is the enforcement of the law regarding age and speed limits for
carts? Why is the sheriff's dept. absent or ignoring the problems. This is
like the tip of the iceberg for The Villages. Last evening we drove through
(in our cart) Sumter Landing. There were more that 15 kids hanging out
in front of the theater and most appeared to be under the age of 15. Then
driving back Cody's had the music so loud that it was a scurge to anyone
in the area and no enforcement by the Sheriff's Dept. It is time they became
involved in some of the loss of a good community enviorement.

Penn. It isn't illegal, immoral, bad judgment, troublesome or even FATTENING to have young people hanging around a theatre. It is right around Eastertime, the time of the year when grandchildren come to TV. Kids are around. Smile at them.

Unless they are doing something they shouldn't be doing and then...do what you have to do. Extra squirt guns available at my house and PTurners.

I do agree that the squirt guns should be used on grandparents who allow youngsters to drive unsupervised or allow them to drive if they are to young to drive cars. EVEN THEN..... It takes quite a while to acclimate anyone to driving in TV. Please take care of your grandchildren so they grow up, get a job and be productive so you can go to them for money.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Gold member

to recap the complaints as ive read them
1. hate too slow drivers
2. hate too fast drivers
3. hate old senile drivers
4. hate too young teen drivers
5. hate drinking drivers
6. hate knee hanging out drivers
7. hate smelly gas cart drivers
did i miss anything?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.