Television repair

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Call Samsung. There should be a reset feature in the menu. Try reseting back to the factory original settings. Samsung products have gone downhill in quality the past few years.
Thanks. Did the reset. Called Samsung. They walked me through the diagnostic menus. Sent them photos. They estimated $600 to repair!
Old 07-11-2023, 05:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
sometimes you can slap it a few times and it will go away. no kidding
I've "slapped" it. No luck.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:00 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks for all of your replies.

I have called Samsung. They walked me through diagnostics and estimated $600 to repair. Went online with Samsung and looked into local repair, $200 to come and check it out, no promise of satisfaction, plus parts and hourly rate after the first hour. Went to Best Buy and as someone else mentioned, they would do nothing because it is out of warranty. I have ventured into the self repair experience, watched some YouTube videos, and opened up the tricky "no screws" case. Checked and cleaned the ribbon cables, looked for any obvious defects, check other connections where I could, and had no luck. I have now opened it up three times (as I find more suggestions on YouTube). I've done as much as I think is prudent and at least it still has an extremely sharp picture, except for that one line.

Remember those good old days when you could pull out the tubes and test them yourself?
Old 07-12-2023, 06:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

At least you tried many would not have attempted your efforts.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:37 AM
Default Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
I have a 65" Samsung television that unfortunately is just out of warranty. I now have a pencil thin vertical line, just enough to be annoying. Does anyone know of a reasonable technician? I hate to throw out my $1200 TV but don't want to spend $600 to fix it. Maybe one of you is familiar with this kind of problem and the solution. Thanks.
First try changing your hdmi cord…we had lines and tried changing the hdmi cord and it has worked so far!
Old 07-12-2023, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbraham View Post
First try changing your hdmi cord…we had lines and tried changing the hdmi cord and it has worked so far!
Note that having multiple vertical lines and having a single line are two different problems. A single line usually indicates a defective screen.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:58 AM
Default Out of warranty

Quote:
I have a 65" Samsung television that unfortunately is just out of warranty. I now have a pencil thin vertical line, just enough to be annoying. Does anyone know of a reasonable technician? I hate to throw out my $1200 TV but don't want to spend $600 to fix it. Maybe one of you is familiar with this kind of problem and the solution. Thanks.
If you paid with a credit card the bank frequently will double the length of the warranty. Worked for me once with a TV that had a catastrophic failure just out of warranty!
Old 07-12-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherkugawa View Post
If you paid with a credit card the bank frequently will double the length of the warranty. Worked for me once with a TV that had a catastrophic failure just out of warranty!
Consumers should stop buying Samsung TVs. They are just not reliable anymore. Sure you can get them cheap but you get what you pay for. Better options are Sony and LG. I'm sure people have stories about these brands too but they are better made.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:59 AM

Do you have an extended warranty as a perk from the credit card you used? That would allow for a full refund.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Consumers should stop buying Samsung TVs. They are just not reliable anymore. Sure you can get them cheap but you get what you pay for. Better options are Sony and LG. I'm sure people have stories about these brands too but they are better made.
Samsung controls about 30 percent of the television market and sells more TVs than Sony and LG combined. Consumer Reports rates Samsung and Sony about the same, and they are both at the top of their list. LG is rated lower, except for the OLED models. Obviously, the more TVs you sell, the more complaints you will get. It's just a numbers thing. But, I would be interested to know how Sony and LG TVs are made better.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:42 AM

I'm in the market for a new 65" TV. I have an old Samsung I love and I'm using in another room. However, LG OLED is what I will probably get, but it will cost a lot.

I agree with the comments that the credit card company could possibly extend your warranty. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2023, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
I'm in the market for a new 65" TV. I have an old Samsung I love and I'm using in another room. However, LG OLED is what I will probably get, but it will cost a lot.

I agree with the comments that the credit card company could possibly extend your warranty. Good luck!
You can get an 83-inch, LG OLED television at Sam's Club for only $4,799.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:12 PM

paid $3000 for my 1st big screen. Same problem after 4 years of use . Could not be repaired at a reasonable cost. I was told the average life for a big screen TV is 7 years. I had a Montgomery Ward tube TV from the late 60's , it lasted 35 years !
Old 07-13-2023, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I had the same issue with a 55” Sansui TV, which I think was a rebranded Samsung model. WalMart called a tech to fix it under warranty. He asked for a picture of the problem, which I sent to him. WalMart sent me a full refund of the purchase price. Three years later that is my spare bedroom TV. Everything else works.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:45 AM
Gold member

If anyone is interested I am going to sell the Samsung and get a new TV. Look for my listing in classified. Photos will be attached to show the line, I am sure someone out there has the skills to fix it. Or because it's not that big of a line some viewers will not notice, especially with darker scenes.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Tags
television, $600, fix, spend, familiar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.