Tell me is isn't true

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I continue to be amazed how many will run with nothing more than a notion/rumor/etc and treat it as though the sky was actually falling.
And on such unfounded untruths, The Villages is rated as not what it used to be?!?! Compared to what? How long ago?
There are some of us who have been here 15 years and more.
We would buy here again in a heart beat. For most of us TV has more to offer now than when we bought and built our homes.

As the saying goes everything is relative....except extrapolated rumors or untruths!!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

A 25% increase sounds like a lot but do I understand correctly the average tax increase would be $342?

If so, that's less than a dollar a day to improve major roads, add police/first responders and fire stations etc. in one of the fastest growing area's of the country.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is awful as none of the Commissioner's have the background to support Financial Responsibilities, or Budget knowledge or the experience to support business planning. In addition a lot of them carry other responsibilities which restricts the time they have to carry Commissioner's requirements. To those who consider this an opportunity to make jokes or some form of sarcastic comment they may want to consider these are dollars being spent that take away from your families. These are public
employees who are enjoying your hard earned dollars. They are laughing at you.
I really don't think they are laughing at us. That is a rather rash statement...…………...
Old 07-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I continue to be amazed how many will run with nothing more than a notion/rumor/etc and treat it as though the sky was actually falling.
And on such unfounded untruths, The Villages is rated as not what it used to be?!?! Compared to what? How long ago?
There are some of us who have been here 15 years and more.
We would buy here again in a heart beat. For most of us TV has more to offer now than when we bought and built our homes.

As the saying goes everything is relative....except extrapolated rumors or untruths!!
Once again the voice of reason.
Those that are sharpening their pitch forks should just slow down...
Old 07-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I’m really behind the curve on this. Is the proposed 25% increase on the Sumter County tax AND the Sumter County school Board tax? The first two line items on the bill, right?

Is it on “market” value, “assessed” value, or “taxable” value?

Forgive me for being out of the loop.

Can anyone answer this?
Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Can anyone answer this?
Maybe you can find your answer here.
Sumter County, FL - Official Website | Official Website
Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Been here just shy of 10 years looked at a lot of places before deciding on TV. None of them compared to what we have here. Every Village it’s own pool, many Restaurants, plenty of golf courses, movies,stores,Churches, Doctors Rec Centers. Sure they’ve grown and are still growing BUT they’re also adding services, roads, Fire ,EMS etc. People say when are they going to stop easy when people stop buying. There is a lot of up keep here. We’ve seen decreases every year some years more then others. They’re keeping up with the demand. Yes they have to add Fire,EMS,Police etc but as far as I’m concerned this place is far superior to many other retirement areas. Even IF they raise them by 25% we’re still going to be cheaper then most other places you can live.Time will tell what the final number will be and to those they say they’ll leave make sure you check where you’ll leave to because the grass is always greener until you get there. My taxes here will still be cheaper after the increase then I was paying up North never mind electric, home heating oil, food etc. Just my opinion and I know I’ll catch some flack by a few but so be it I’m not leaving until the good lord calls me.

Last edited by skip0358; 07-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Sage

Especially when 25% increase translates to an average of $1/day for needed incremental services to support expansion.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,750 Posts

Who needs the expansion exactly, and who is asked to pay for it? See that is the rub....
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Who needs the expansion exactly, and who is asked to pay for it? See that is the rub....
Not me..... I wanted my house to be the last one built.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not me..... I wanted my house to be the last one built.

Yeah, 10,000 65+ are retiring per day with a life expectancy of 20 yrs, who needs expansion
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	4986BE04-4068-4F7E-9CAA-9819225B30D1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	80305   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	478618B4-AE09-4E0A-B00B-4675A25F3F50.png
Views:	85
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	80306  

Last edited by Altavia; 07-25-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,750 Posts

The problem is... that we are supposed to subsidize them? If they can’t afford to pay their own way why come here in the first place?

I think that the 25% is probably a negotiation tool, you know, they want to raise taxes by 5%, maybe 10%. When it is announced that it is “only going to be...” everyone will clap and sigh with relief... what a game.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-25-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Expansion means more tax base. The Villages expansion normally includes development infrastructure (Roads, water, sewers, drainage, lighting, retention ponds, etc). The budget increase discussion is relative to the county and not to incorporated towns. We paid a bond and pay an amenity fee to cover certain expenses such as water, sewer and trash. If the yearly expansion were 3000 homes and some equivalent business development, that expansion would be taxed adding to the county income. For 12 years that I have been here, that expanded tax income has been able to keep up to the additional county budget needs. Incremental cost increases to county expenses such as fire, law enforcement, criminal, retention, road repair, and schools have previously been managed within the increased income from the expanded tax base.

A dramatic increase of 25% needs to be "simply" explained to taxpayers. Are we suddenly adding a new school, unplanned fire station and equipment, replacing aging sheriff vehicles? Perhaps that would normally mean borrowing and associated expenses. Stating that the expansion means more roads to repair and appropriate added Sheriffs, firefighters, and teachers does not explain the increase. Roads have been repaired since day one.

If the increase was inflated to simply later be dropped to 5 or 10 % to give us the feel that we are getting a bargain would mean that we have incompetent county watchdogs.

Yes The Villages are a bargain but 25% is not a $1 a day as someone suggested.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Been here just shy of 10 years looked at a lot of places before deciding on TV. None of them compared to what we have here. Every Village it’s own pool, many Restaurants, plenty of golf courses, movies,stores,Churches, Doctors Rec Centers. Sure they’ve grown and are still growing BUT they’re also adding services, roads, Fire ,EMS etc. People say when are they going to stop easy when people stop buying. There is a lot of up keep here. We’ve seen decreases every year some years more then others. They’re keeping up with the demand. Yes they have to add Fire,EMS,Police etc but as far as I’m concerned this place is far superior to many other retirement areas. Even IF they raise them by 25% we’re still going to be cheaper then most other places you can live.Time will tell what the final number will be and to those they say they’ll leave make sure you check where you’ll leave to because the grass is always greener until you get there. My taxes here will still be cheaper after the increase then I was paying up North never mind electric, home heating oil, food etc. Just my opinion and I know I’ll catch some flack by a few but so be it I’m not leaving until the good lord calls me.
UNDERSTOOD! However the bonds where hefty and that is to pay the infrastructure which is everything you stated. Where did that money go, Local Government is to fat at the top! JMHO
Old 07-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
UNDERSTOOD! However the bonds where hefty and that is to pay the infrastructure which is everything you stated. Where did that money go, Local Government is to fat at the top! JMHO
Money goes to pay off the bonds, right? And the sale of bonds money went to pay for the infrastructure, right?
Just what are you saying?

Tags
true, time, county, salaries, congress

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.