Tenting house + Fumigation for Drywood Termites

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Default Tenting house + Fumigation for Drywood Termites

I found swarming drywood termites in my home (built 1992). Massey didn't cover me for them when I purchased my home a year ago. They only suggested subterranean termite protection. Massey is saying I should tent my house and fumigate. This takes 3+ days and will cost over $2,000.

I really don't want to do this.

Has any Villager witnessed or undergone a house tenting in The Villages?

Any 'do-it-yourself' solutions out there?

Suggestions and comments gratefully received.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

One comment, if Massey does it and you get a guarantee you would have purchased $2,000 dollars of insurance for some period of time. I would also guess you would then have to employee them for ever after to be protected.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,623 Times in 1,350 Posts

Have you spoken to another company
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Sage

I had swarming termites in my home in Jacksonville Florida, but they were subterranean. What are drywood termites????
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

What Village are you in? Might be important for your neighbors to find out---
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Subterranian termites do swarm. In Virginia we had a termite problem and they would swarm in the spring in the bright sunlight when it first warmed up. The swarming termites are NOT the problem and will not cause damage, but they will find and make a new colony some place near by....and that willbe the problem.

Dont know what dry wood termites are but I think massey is trying to sell you an expensive product. Never heard of anyone "tenting" their house in TV for termite issues.

Did your problem happen here in The Villages!!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM

drywood termites typically infest sound or nondecayed wood. Google them. There is a lot of info online.
Yes, my problem is in The Villages (near Spanish Springs). My neighbors know.
I am getting other opinions. Stay tuned.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:24 PM

Good news! The drywood termite colony was found in a chair I got at a thrift shop. Chair in trash, rest of furniture inspected and house vacuumed. Hopefully problem solved.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Good news! The drywood termite colony was found in a chair I got at a thrift shop. Chair in trash, rest of furniture inspected and house vacuumed. Hopefully problem solved.
Which thrift shop?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 AM

I'm not going to identify the thrift shop. It wouldn't be fair. It is difficult to identify drywood swarmers in furniture that has been moved around. Identification comes when they swarm in spring and from the granules near their colony.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM

Termites are a major menace and fact of life in California. Most homes are automatically tented [chemical] before a sale, they are that common. The main culprit being drywood and the dreaded Formosan types. Subterraneans are a close second. Most residents simply keep pieces of wood, including wood chips for gardens, from touching their homes. Most wood used in fences, decks, etc. is pre-treated. Some use orange oil as a natural alternative, or microwave.
They feed on cellulose-based material like wood, books, boxes, furniture and drywall coverings. Termites constantly forage for food.

The most common way of detecting termites include discarded wings. Not so obvious signs include wood that sounds hollow when tapped, cracked or bubbling paint and termite droppings that look like sawdust. You may also note mud tubes.

I was told that subterranean are the major culprits here in our TV area, while wood termites have not been a problem.

Have been here a year, and I'm probably going to renew with Dean's, who did the original treatment. In California, if there is a problem, most do a spot-treat or later may "tent", but most residents take a chance and do nothing, and simply wait for any obvious signs, such as sawdust near wood-framing, such as windows, doors. Or spend $50 + for an inspection.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Bump.

Cause this wasn't in a home, It was in a chair. See above.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.