Termite Protection

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Termite Protection

Time to pay my Massey Termite protection bill of $164. House was protected originally and I have paid the fee each year. I get the bill and pay it and then agent comes and says I should pay another $500 for bait traps. They usually have agent visit first , but keep sending bill.

Question is .. If you have termite damage, would your home insurance cover damage in excess of deductible?

We have no damage, or evidence of termites, but think that there is some sort of issue that we are being scared into permanent payment. I know termites have been a discussion before many times but have not heard of any termite problems in the Village of Caroline. Any Caroline termite issues?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Termite or any type of vermin damage is rarely covered under a standard home owners policy....so if it does happen its at your expense to fix it.

I fully agree with you that companies (not just Massey) do use scare tactics in trying to keep you on-board. $164 as an annual fee just for an inspection seems very expensive. After you have the treatment, is the annual fee/inspection required in order to keep their guarantee in place? If you don't have a treatment, I believe these companies will do a free inspection for termites....if that's the case just call them every year for the free inspection..

I have yet to personally see or hear from anyone who has had termite damage in The Villages.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Gold member

Read your termite policy very carefully. You might just discover that you re not getting what you think you are paying for........
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you are at all handy, you can periodically apply Termidor.

Termidor SC - Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - Toxicity, Label & MSDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Time to pay my Massey Termite protection bill of $164. House was protected originally and I have paid the fee each year. I get the bill and pay it and then agent comes and says I should pay another $500 for bait traps. They usually have agent visit first , but keep sending bill.

Question is .. If you have termite damage, would your home insurance cover damage in excess of deductible?

We have no damage, or evidence of termites, but think that there is some sort of issue that we are being scared into permanent payment. I know termites have been a discussion before many times but have not heard of any termite problems in the Village of Caroline. Any Caroline termite issues?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Our termite bond is around $150.00 per year through Deans. Included is a once a year treatment and inspection. Our bond includes repair and restoration costs should there be termite damage. I wouldn't think an extra $500 a year would be necessary. .. just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post

I don't think home owners realize how simple it is to do this themselves rather than pay for not much or less by a termite company.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Platinum member
Default Do your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post

I second that. Dig a trench about a foot deep, or just pull the soil away from the edge of your house and pour the proper mixture of termidor and water. Let it soak into the ground at the foundation. If you have a access trap to your bathroom tub, open it and soak around the plumbing coming out of the concrete. Same with a laundry tub or kitchen sink.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

I also have Dean's for about $150 per year, however, I pay it with my monthly payment to Dean's for mowing, pest spraying ect. so when it is time for the termite spraying, I don't owe any additional money.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 PM

I was surprised when we built a house here that there was no requirement to treat the ground before they put the slab in. In Louisiana that is a requirement to issue a termite certificate before financing can be approved.
Closed Thread

Tags
termite, damage, pay, bill, caroline, agent, termites, protection, sort, issue, scared, massey, deductible, evidence, permanent, heard, time, problems, issues, village, times, payment, discussion, excess, $164

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.