Tesla Tesla - Page 8 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Tesla

Reply
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old 09-25-2026, 06:32 AM
jrref jrref is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,269
Thanks: 632
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauldoug View Post
I would NEVER buy a Tesla, other electrics we are considering.
Why don't you tell us why you would never buy a Tesla and why you like other EVs better? Everyone has their opinion if you want to share yours.
  #107  
Old 09-25-2026, 06:43 AM
Ptmcbriz Ptmcbriz is online now
Silver Member
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 380
Thanks: 4
Thanked 292 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Tesla is too small for me. We bought the all electric BMW i5. 340 mile range. It self drives on highways, but not local neighborhoods. Really like that their batteries are compartmentalized. It has 40 cells in each battery so when parts start failing you replace individual areas of the battery instead of the whole battery which is much cheaper to do. Love the BMW speed and driving experience which has more luxury and room than most other EV’s including Tesla.
  #108  
Old 09-25-2026, 07:04 AM
La lamy's Avatar
La lamy La lamy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2,368
Thanks: 565
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danube View Post
Tata Punch +52.7% is VERY impressive. So that must be the best car. Beats Tesla easily.

How can I get one?
Love the name! LOL Read up on it, very cheap but meant for India market, not sold here. That's what I found on line anyway.
  #109  
Old 09-25-2026, 07:38 AM
Marcojb Marcojb is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default I dont care for Tesla

I had taken a test drive in a Tesla with my neighbor ( she bought one) and honestly I didn’t care for it. Yes it is great if you like the self driving features but driving on the villages with that feature scared me. In fact the Tesla was in the wrong lane when making the turn in the round- about. I also learned it costs $99.00 per month to have the self drive feature. I need control of the car
  #110  
Old 09-25-2026, 08:43 AM
mikeltry mikeltry is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I test drove a Tesla and if I was going to go electric I would definitely buy a Tesla . Using the self driving could sure be addictive.
  #111  
Old 09-25-2026, 09:12 AM
HJBeck's Avatar
HJBeck HJBeck is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: The Villages
Posts: 284
Thanks: 23
Thanked 106 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
We were skeptical about getting an EV because we had a Honda CRV hybrid and it worked great. When many of our neighbors got a Tesla and we rode around with them, we decided to get one. MY Honda CRV hybrid cost me $45,000 and my Tesla Model Y cost me $53,000 so there wasn't that much difference these days between a really good hybrid and a Tesla. We especially like the self driving feature. After using it for a month, I feel it's safer. The car has 6 eyes and I only have 2. Sure, sometimes I wonder why the car is doing what it is doing but at the end of the day, although I might not make the same driving move as I would in certain situations, the car is driving correctly. Now with the new crash avoidance software where even if you are not in self drive mode, if the car senses you are going to get into a crash, it will take over and try to avoid it. That would have saved that lady in the red Tesla who fainted and wound up in the pond. So, a Tesla EV is not for everyone but for us here in the Villages, I usually charge my car once a week and we are loving it. The car also drives better than my Honda CRV and is much quieter.

The only caution is if you get one, I strongly suggest you get a licensed electrician to have the Wall Connector (charger) installed properly. Here is a link concerning this extra expense when you get an EV. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...858-post1.html
How does the FSD feature work in the round abouts? Its always the other driver I worry about.
  #112  
Old 09-25-2026, 02:03 PM
Fastskiguy Fastskiguy is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Linden
Posts: 703
Thanks: 753
Thanked 346 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
How does the FSD feature work in the round abouts? Its always the other driver I worry about.
Really well as it can look at the vehicles coming around from your left as well as the car in front of you. I haven’t had anybody do that “left turn from the right lane” number in front of me yet but I’d bet the car would react pretty quickly. But roundabouts are no problem at all for fsd
  #113  
Old 09-25-2026, 07:13 PM
Moderator's Avatar
Moderator Moderator is offline
TOTV Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26,085
Thanks: 23
Thanked 977 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Moderator note: Topic is Tesla.

What began as a discussion of Tesla vehicles shifted into political references and comments about other members. Posts removed and infractions issued.

Thanks to those who shared firsthand experiences with their vehicles and kept their replies on topic.

Last edited by Moderator; 09-25-2026 at 07:37 PM.
  #114  
Old 09-26-2026, 06:43 AM
jrref jrref is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,269
Thanks: 632
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeltry View Post
I test drove a Tesla and if I was going to go electric I would definitely buy a Tesla . Using the self driving could sure be addictive.
So far, FSD works well. I sometimes wonder what it's doing and sometimes I would drive slightly differently in a certain situation but at the end of the day it drives safely and correctly. It also keeps evolving. Now it has collision avoidance even in manual drive mode. Excellent!
  #115  
Old 09-26-2026, 07:01 AM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,041
Thanks: 197
Thanked 840 Times in 395 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
So far, FSD works well. I sometimes wonder what it's doing and sometimes I would drive slightly differently in a certain situation but at the end of the day it drives safely and correctly. It also keeps evolving. Now it has collision avoidance even in manual drive mode. Excellent!
I think it would be great on long trips but I still enjoy the act of driving. I think on short trips and around town it'd drive me nuts.
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #116  
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
jrref jrref is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,269
Thanks: 632
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Since we talked a little about Rav4 vs CRV here is something interesting:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/suvs...13178b9d&ei=50
  #117  
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
BrianL99 BrianL99 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 5,463
Thanks: 324
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,965 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Since we talked a little about Rav4 vs CRV here is something interesting:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/suvs...13178b9d&ei=50
I disagree with his conclusions, but statistics can show whatever you want them to show.

Honda & Toyota (Rav4 vs CRV) is not really like comparing apples to oranges, but maybe Mac apples to Delicious apples. Toyota & Honda have different design philosophies and different target markets (which often overlap).

Personally, I have an Acura RDX, which is essentially a glorified CRV (no longer built on the same platform, but close). It's got about 80,000 miles on it and if I didn't have a dog in the car with me most of the time, anyone driving it would assume it's a 10,000 mile car. It's virtually indestructible and drives awesome.
  #118  
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,041
Thanks: 197
Thanked 840 Times in 395 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I disagree with his conclusions, but statistics can show whatever you want them to show.

Honda & Toyota (Rav4 vs CRV) is not really like comparing apples to oranges, but maybe Mac apples to Delicious apples. Toyota & Honda have different design philosophies and different target markets (which often overlap).

Personally, I have an Acura RDX, which is essentially a glorified CRV (no longer built on the same platform, but close). It's got about 80,000 miles on it and if I didn't have a dog in the car with me most of the time, anyone driving it would assume it's a 10,000 mile car. It's virtually indestructible and drives awesome.
I have in the recent past owned both a rav4 and a crv. I'd say both very good vehicles, my personal preference was the Toyota but I'm a bit of a Toyota fanboy. I'd own either one of them again in a heartbeat if the need arose.
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #119  
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
jrref jrref is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,269
Thanks: 632
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmcbriz View Post
It self drives on highways, but not local neighborhoods.
When you say it self drives on highways does it get on and off at the exits on the route as well as just staying in lane and cruise control?
  #120  
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
JRcorvette JRcorvette is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 872
Thanks: 866
Thanked 620 Times in 322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
Really well as it can look at the vehicles coming around from your left as well as the car in front of you. I haven’t had anybody do that “left turn from the right lane” number in front of me yet but I’d bet the car would react pretty quickly. But roundabouts are no problem at all for fsd
The FSD sees way more than you and reacts quicker. Not a problem. Just today I had an idiot change lanes in the roundabout right smack in front of me and for no good reason.
Reply

Tags
tesla, lot, teslas, area


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.