New build on prairie

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2022, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,333 Posts
Default New build on prairie

We are building on a lot that has a retaining wall topped with iron fence. Drop is about 8 feet, with easement of 7.5 feet from the lot line.

We will be adding a pool after market, wondering what you did with landscape in the easement. We have trees, and green space view. Can’t plant in the easement, so did you, Leave grass to mow, or mulch area?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by asianthree; 08-18-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,646 Times in 963 Posts

Talk to a landscaper and ARC - different districts could have different rules for the easement. Don’t rely on what you hear on the internet
Old 08-18-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Talk to a landscaper and ARC - different districts could have different rules for the easement. Don’t rely on what you hear on the internet
We have been in the Villages since 07, Know the rules. This will be our 4th home.
I am looking for someone who has a home, like our lot, are you mowing or mulching. Since the pool will be along the easement, what is their experience

We already know we have both options at our design team meeting. So your post is what I expected, from someone who does not have a lot on a prairie. But thank for participating

Last edited by asianthree; 08-18-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We are building on a lot that has a retaining wall with iron fence. Drop is about 8 feet, with easement of 7.5 feet from the lot line.

We will be adding a pool after market, wondering what you did with landscape in the easement. We have trees, and green space view. Can’t plant in the easement, so did you, Leave grass to mow, or mulch area?

Thanks in advance
A drop of eight feet. Might be wise to contact a professional landscape architect, A steep drop can be dangerous and difficult to mow. Steps with landing levels a possible solution. Retaining wall? Traditional landscape timbers, will not last long in Florida. Iron fence? Real iron fences have not been made since about 1920 or 30. What people call iron fence is typically steel.
The difference iron, is brittle but it does not rust. Either is a pain to paint.

An interesting project. Probably better done before the house is built.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:22 AM

If it were me I would have landscape stone put down down, that way it wouldn't have to be mowed.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
A drop of eight feet. Might be wise to contact a professional landscape architect, A steep drop can be dangerous and difficult to mow. Steps with landing levels a possible solution. Retaining wall? Traditional landscape timbers, will not last long in Florida. Iron fence? Real iron fences have not been made since about 1920 or 30. What people call iron fence is typically steel.
The difference iron, is brittle but it does not rust. Either is a pain to paint.

An interesting project. Probably better done before the house is built.
The wall which surrounds all lots built with a drop, are brick, are already completed by the developers. Many Million dollar homes around Evens Prairie have the same drop with retaining walls built by the developer. Our lawn doesn’t have a drop, just the wall behind our home. The short fence is on top of wall

So no worries on the wall. My question was did you keep a lawn in your easement behind your pool, or mulch to keep lawn cutting away from pool.

Last edited by asianthree; 08-18-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We are building on a lot that has a retaining wall with iron fence. Drop is about 8 feet, with easement of 7.5 feet from the lot line.

Thanks in advance
Just curious. Why would you buy a property to build your new home, on a lot that sounds problematic to say the least.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
If it were me I would have landscape stone put down down, that way it wouldn't have to be mowed.
We are thinking same thing. We will have a small raised back wall to the pool, but thinking grass cutting may still be a pain in the birdcage
Old 08-18-2022, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Just curious. Why would you buy a property to build your new home, on a lot that sounds problematic to say the least.
The lot as is the hundreds of million dollar homesbuilt around TV on prairie, or lakes is not problematic. Post is about, did you leave grass or mulch, or rock, behind your pool in the easement. There are over 100 homes being built with the same brick retaining wall, with a short metal fence, in this village. Not many will accommodate a pool like our lot. We can have a pool design at Design Team meeting, or do pool after market. If developers aren’t concerned about the multitude of lots why would we

Last edited by asianthree; 08-18-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,237 Times in 2,817 Posts

If possible put down rock or mulch that doesn’t require any watering. That way you don’t have to risk reclaimed irrigation water getting into your pool.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If possible put down rock or mulch that doesn’t require any watering. That way you don’t have to risk reclaimed irrigation water getting into your pool.
Thanks didn’t even think about reclaimed water, going in the pool. Not our first pool, but first one in TV. Best useful info on my post. Design meeting in 2 weeks trying to get as many ducks in a row prior to week long meetings

Last edited by asianthree; 08-18-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Our lot is a bit like yours but without the large drop off. We went with a stacked block planter. Filled with nice rock and durable low maintenance plants. One other thing to consider is where they place the pool overflow outlet. Make sure if it’s in a planter you install salt resistant plants. Podacarpus <sp > seem to be doing good.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Our lot is a bit like yours but without the large drop off. We went with a stacked block planter. Filled with nice rock and durable low maintenance plants. One other thing to consider is where they place the pool overflow outlet. Make sure if it’s in a planter you install salt resistant plants. Podacarpus <sp > seem to be doing good.
Good idea, but we can’t build anything in the easement, never thought about the overflow outlet, so on my list for meeting. Thanks
Old 08-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Good idea, but we can’t build anything in the easement, never thought about the overflow outlet, so on my list for meeting. Thanks
I've seen several aftermarket pools in our neighborhood that didn't have overflows or autofills installed. In my opinion an overflow is an absolute must. Unless of course you want to have to bail out water to adjust your pool level. Not to mention flooding your pool deck and possibly your lanai.

An auto fill is a matter of convenience. I keep mine turned off. If you leave your autofill on and have a leak in your pool or related plumbing you won't know it until you get your water bill. By leaving the auto fill off I can monitor the pool level for any problems.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I've seen several aftermarket pools in our neighborhood that didn't have overflows or autofills installed. In my opinion an overflow is an absolute must. Unless of course you want to have to bail out water to adjust your pool level. Not to mention flooding your pool deck and possibly your lanai.

An auto fill is a matter of convenience. I keep mine turned off. If you leave your autofill on and have a leak in your pool or related plumbing you won't know it until you get your water bill. By leaving the auto fill off I can monitor the pool level for any problems.
Thanks for the info, we are still on the fence of pool install at build. This is our 4th home, but first pool in TV. We lived colder climates, so pool use was 3 months at best.
However thinking we want to live in house for awhile before we decide. Neighborhood pool is half block away, and family pool is around the corner. While I know T& D is the go to. Will evaluate their design to after market.

Tags
easement, lot, feet, landscape, space

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.