Bummer post...

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Gold member
Default Bummer post...

A very vibrant, generous and loving friend has just been diagnosed with Lung and Liver cancer after fighting colon cancer last year. It's very shocking and devastating news.

In talking with my daughter (also a RN) about it, she mentioned the "5 wishes". I've never heard that term, but it's basically advanced directives, living will etc.
she says her hospital in NC gives out the info.

I'm a RN in Ca. and have never heard of it.

We had all that stuff drawn up in Utah before we moved to TV. But I guess It has to be redrawn in Fla.

Anyone have any info on "the 5 wishes" and how to get the paperwork here in TV?

Thanks! I do not want my family struggling to make decisions for me when the time comes.

Sorry for the bummer post!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Dotti, I am so sorry about your friend. That is so sad. I googled 5 wishes Florida and came up with this site. I hope it helps.

https://www.agingwithdignity.org/legal_Florida.php

Again, so sorry. My prayers are with your friend.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 PM

Back in the early 90's, we lived in AL and mom lived in FL. One year, when she came up for Thanksgiving, she brought a "5 Wishes" booklet with her. She didn't see too well, so I read each item to her and recorded her answers in the booklet. We actually laughed and joked while answering some of the questions. Hubby finally said he couldn't listen to us any more and went for a walk.

We finished the booklet and she was so relieved to have it done. Several years later, when she was dying, that booklet was a tremendous source of comfort to me. I thought back to when we did the booklet, the good time we had together doing so, and the peace of mind I had when I had to make some very tough decisions.

I don't know that the booklet replaces health care directives, wills, etc., but hers did need to be signed and notarized.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM

CFrance and Jazzy48: Thanks for your posts on "5 Wishes."

Just looked up the link and it is exactly what I was looking for! What a wonderful way to express to family your final directives...no legal gobbly-gook...no legal fees.

Best $5 I ever spent!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Sage

Dotti,
It's bummer news, but not a bummer post. There are so many praying and uplifting people here.
God bless you for being a friend.

What matters to me most about this life is after these few years, who's going to be there in eternity. makes the idea of bummer news still a bummer, but less huge and final, in light of eternity.
Blessings...
Kitty
Old 06-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Sage

Thank you for this. Will order the 5 wishes and share it with my children in the near future. Don't want to burden them with our last requests.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.