Birds at night???

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 01:53 AM
Sage
Default Birds at night???

This is somewhat bizarre, at least to this northerner, that there are birds chirping away in the middle of the night. Have had this happening recently where "they" are sitting and chirping away without ceasing. Does anyone know of Florida birds that would be doing this?? Finding it weird to be awakened in this way.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
This is somewhat bizarre, at least to this northerner, that there are birds chirping away in the middle of the night. Have had this happening recently where "they" are sitting and chirping away without ceasing. Does anyone know of Florida birds that would be doing this?? Finding it weird to be awakened in this way.
More than likely it's a Mockingbird. We've had one in our yard for the past six or seven months. In fact there's a baby Mockingbird now as well. Suprisingly, it's not at all uncommon for Mockingbird's to sing at night.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
More than likely it's a Mockingbird. We've had one in our yard for the past six or seven months. In fact there's a baby Mockingbird now as well. Suprisingly, it's not at all uncommon for Mockingbird's to sing at night.
Thank you! It seemed so bizarre....it began around 2:00 a.m. and went constantly for an hour then stopped. It also was very loud. They have quite the reppretoire of "singing" as well. As I type I can hear, probably the same bird right now. We may need to invest in one of those "white noise" machines to get good sleep at night. LOL
Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Thank you! It seemed so bizarre....it began around 2:00 a.m. and went constantly for an hour then stopped. It also was very loud. They have quite the reppretoire of "singing" as well. As I type I can hear, probably the same bird right now. We may need to invest in one of those "white noise" machines to get good sleep at night. LOL
My wife had to purchase one of those after having an owl screeching all night, in the large oak tree outside our bedroom.

She said it worked great.

As for me..."what owl?"
Old 05-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Fortunately my snoring drowns out the bird singing
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

The mockingbird might be looking for a mate. If so, he should stop when he finds one. He could be a younger male and considering how territorial mockingbirds are, he might have to look longer and later rather than try to fend off the older guys -- or maybe he is just able to stay awake late.

(photo1902, did the mockingbird in your yard stop the nocturnal serenades after he could expect some babies? The male helps to build the nest.)

-----------

I know nobody asked, but......the mockingbird was Thomas Jefferson's favorite bird. (Mine, too.) He wrote about them and had a pet mockingbird named Dick. If anybody wants to know more about what Jefferson had to say about mockingbirds, here is some information from the archives......

Mockingbirds | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The mockingbird might be looking for a mate. If so, he should stop when he finds one. He could be a younger male and considering how territorial mockingbirds are, he might have to look longer and later rather than try to fend off the older guys -- or maybe he is just able to stay awake late.

(photo1902, did the mockingbird in your yard stop the nocturnal serenades after he could expect some babies? The male helps to build the nest.)

-----------

I know nobody asked, but......the mockingbird was Thomas Jefferson's favorite bird. (Mine, too.) He wrote about them and had a pet mockingbird named Dick. If anybody wants to know more about what Jefferson had to say about mockingbirds, here is some information from the archives......

Mockingbirds | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
No, it hasn't stopped. It used to sing, literally, all day long. Now it's hit or miss, and it seems to sing mostly at night and early morning. The baby has grown up pretty quickly, and still makes a racket until it's fed (and it is good at finding food on its own). For some reason they love our backyard and its been extremely interesting to observe.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MB.jpg
Views:	1271
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	68993  
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
No, it hasn't stopped. It used to sing, literally, all day long. Now it's hit or miss, and it seems to sing mostly at night and early morning. The baby has grown up pretty quickly, and still makes a racket until it's fed (and it is good at finding food on its own). For some reason they love our backyard and its been extremely interesting to observe.
I can't whistle, but Mr. Boomer is a good whistler. I am fascinated by mockingbirds so sometimes I get Mr. Boomer to do various bird calls when I see a mockingbird in the yard. The mockingbird will mock Mr. Boomer for a while--until one of them loses interest and goes flying.

If you can whistle, you might want to try to talk with your mockingbird.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I can't whistle, but Mr. Boomer is a good whistler. I am fascinated by mockingbirds so sometimes I get Mr. Boomer to do various bird calls when I see a mockingbird in the yard. The mockingbird will mock Mr. Boomer for a while--until one of them loses interest and goes flying.

If you can whistle, you might want to try to talk with your mockingbird.
Whistling back didn't come to mind but wishing for a pellet gun did...or maybe a cat. It was ubber-annoying!! When it's day-light they're pleasant to listen to (from a distance at least) as they have quite the liteny of sounds and whistles.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

It's never dark here..just twilight
Old 05-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Mocking birds can imitate lots of sounds, usually they sing 8 to 12 different songs or can even add in chainsaw or cell phone ringer. Had one in Texas in bush outside house. Working 12 plus hours shifts he was not welcome. About every morning you could see the broom, mope, and anything else I could launch into the bush to scare him off.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

That's probably what happened to Tiger; out in the middle of the night, listening to the birds chirping and singing, and he just happened to fall asleep. Oops.....
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Sometimes I hear something flying past my house at night making a kind of scream type sound, not like a Mockingbird. I was thinking it might be a bat. I never hear it inthe daylight. Why do you think?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
Sometimes I hear something flying past my house at night making a kind of scream type sound, not like a Mockingbird. I was thinking it might be a bat. I never hear it inthe daylight. Why do you think?

Scream? Probably barred or screech owl. Doubt it was bat.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
Could be a Banshee. They have them at Animal Kingdom.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
birds, chirping, night, florida, ceasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.