Are there guidelines for garage sales?

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Default Are there guidelines for garage sales?

I need to have a garage sale soon. Are there any guidelines for garage sales in The Villages? Any recommendations for a successful sale?

Last edited by chappy; 11-09-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: changed wording
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Sage

easy guidelines. everything must be in the garage, not on the driveway, and no signs allowed.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM

North of 466, signs are allowed now in your own yards. I also have seen lots of garage sale signs on corners with arrows pointing to the sale, they just take them down as soon as sale is over. Advertising on TOTV is a great way also.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Sage

Post here for free! Also use balloons to "advertise"...put on street sign, but take off when sale is done.

Price your items reasonably!! I've seen too many folks who think that the value should be high because they paid a certain amount fot the item. You will more easily get rid of items if priced well. (this goes for re-sale as well when you post "for sale" items!!! Think what you see at re-sale shops for instance)
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Don't turn early birds away. Why tell someone at 7:45 you will not open until exactly 8:00 ( the advertised starting time)?
Its better to open the door when you are ready, rather than waiting untill 8:00 and have 15-25 people all at one time come into the garage. Never could figure that one out.
Have fun!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Sage

We had a huge disappointment when "outfitting" our house....a party had advertised HUGE moving sale (and listed the items) with a time of start. Several of us got there early and were all lined up. After awhile...close to the start time the party came out and said that they'd had someone come the day before and purchased most all of the items and he was sorry! I can see why they'd do that if they can get the $$$$ BUT wouldn't it have been better to tell the folks to come 1st thing in the morning and make it fair? Maybe I'm out of touch here. I've had plenty of garage sales in my day but generally do it this way...people in my area would state "no early sales"!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

The three or four "Neighborhood Garage Sales" in which I've participated alerted me to, to me, a totally different/new culture! At the first (advertised 8 am - 12 noon) - there were people on the street as early as 6:30! It was almost as though, "Sorry, I didn't think you'd be here before I'd had my first cup of coffee!

My street has made an effort to establish a street-wide day for any sale we may think about. I'm inclined to think that this makes huge sense! One: it'll reduce the crowds. Two: it'll increase interest ("They must have something worthwhile!") even when what you have to offer is minimal!

That said, I'm not sure that I'll ever participate in a garage sale ever again!
SWR
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice. We're having the sale on the 17th and hopefully will be successful.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We had a huge disappointment when "outfitting" our house....a party had advertised HUGE moving sale (and listed the items) with a time of start. Several of us got there early and were all lined up. After awhile...close to the start time the party came out and said that they'd had someone come the day before and purchased most all of the items and he was sorry! I can see why they'd do that if they can get the $$$$ BUT wouldn't it have been better to tell the folks to come 1st thing in the morning and make it fair? Maybe I'm out of touch here. I've had plenty of garage sales in my day but generally do it this way...people in my area would state "no early sales"!
I guess they wanted to sell their "stuff" and they had a chance to see and did.
Fair to who?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
The three or four "Neighborhood Garage Sales" in which I've participated alerted me to, to me, a totally different/new culture! At the first (advertised 8 am - 12 noon) - there were people on the street as early as 6:30! It was almost as though, "Sorry, I didn't think you'd be here before I'd had my first cup of coffee!

My street has made an effort to establish a street-wide day for any sale we may think about. I'm inclined to think that this makes huge sense! One: it'll reduce the crowds. Two: it'll increase interest ("They must have something worthwhile!") even when what you have to offer is minimal!

That said, I'm not sure that I'll ever participate in a garage sale ever again!
SWR
Went to a neighborhood sale today that advertised 25 homes. There were so many cars/carts it was a mess. Having just one street will result in the same congestion.
Garage sales in the summer are much easier to navigate.
I have lived in three different states and have children in others...........there are early birds at every sale.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.