There is a hole in "the bubble"

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2017, 01:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Watch the news! Bad guys do bad things all the time in the "truly gated", private communities. We were never told that the gates provided ANY security in The Villages, and we moved here in 2004. The first murder I remember here was because they were invited in by the residents' daughter (her druggie friends). Being truly gated would not have prevented that one, either.
The real fact is that there is more crime in gated communities than non-gated.

The reason?

It is assumed that because homes in gated communities are generally, more expensive,
the bad guys have a better choice of more expensive items such as electronics, jewelry, etc.

You are correct that none of us was given any promise of security from the gates,
but the sales people cleverly place the thought in the heads of perspective buyers.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:29 AM
Veteran member
Wink Problem Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Get rid of the gates, what will you do about all the golf carts being struck by cars?
Well -- let's see . . .

Flashing amber lights could be installed where all the carts merge into the vehicular lanes, hoping the cars let the carts go first, or

Put graphic photos on the front page of the Daily Sun so that it shows what can happen to you if you try to beat out a car, or

Require all golf cart drivers to wait their turn at the Villages Hospital Emergency Room so they have an idea about the care they might get, or

Golf carts should rush into the lane of traffic in front of a car and then brake so they can get hit from the rear.
Then they will get paid for a totaled golf cart and will be able to buy a new one -- if they live, or

Remove all the cart paths so the golf carts will have to drive with the cars & trucks and make them slow down, or

Have a mandatory one hour wait before an ambulance or cop can respond to an accident.
Then the person(s) would die.

See? Problem solved!

Old 07-23-2017, 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=rjm1cc;1426676]I think the local bad guys know the gates are open to the public.

When a visitor can simply "push a red button" to enter into the community, there is no safety mechanism. Also it's too easy to break the gate arm and enter in if you can't get in the "normal" way. No one will protect your property like you will.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

The reason?

It is assumed that because homes in gated communities are generally, more expensive,
the bad guys have a better choice of more expensive items such as electronics, jewelry, etc.

You are correct that none of us was given any promise of security from the gates,
but the sales people cleverly place the thought in the heads of perspective buyers.
That would be a fascinating fact, except for the fact that it's not true.

The only study to ever conclude that was of gated communities in South Africa.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
That would be a fascinating fact, except for the fact that it's not true.

The only study to ever conclude that was of gated communities in South Africa.
I can't speak for "studies," because I can't believe anyone would ever pay for a study such as you mentioned. "Studies" aren't free.

However, it may not hold water everywhere, but in many areas, and I'm speaking about more affluent places, it does hold true that there are more break-ins in gated communities.
Furthermore, most of them happen during the day and they are attributed to delivery and service people being in and out of the communities.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM

For "first-time intruders" perhaps prominent signage advising them "CAMERAS ARE RECORDING YOU" would encourage them to stay on the county roads rather than entering our neighborhoods? Probably not when they can clearly see the lack of a live guard and the fragile gate arms. The pathetic security issue was not explained at all when we were looking and too excited to question that. Our sales people were careful to ignore the facts regarding the lack of security, in retrospect. It is a false security image but I agree with the usefulness of the cameras for recording entries, helping carts cross the street and helping control traffic speeds. Signs warning that cameras are in use might be a low cost method to discourage some criminals. ---Before the usual snide comments, FYI: ---Although I do not like the current system, I have no intention of moving because of it, but could have elected elsewhere if it had been made clear.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage

I've many times seen cars pull a U-turn rather than approach the main gate off CR 466 on Belvedere Blvd.
So I think the gates do act as a deterrent in some cases.
Many smart residents have commented they didn't figure out that TV isn't a gated community until after they purchased a home.
So maybe the bad guys won't figure it out either.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
I can't speak for "studies," because I can't believe anyone would ever pay for a study such as you mentioned. "Studies" aren't free.

However, it may not hold water everywhere, but in many areas, and I'm speaking about more affluent places, it does hold true that there are more break-ins in gated communities.
Furthermore, most of them happen during the day and they are attributed to delivery and service people being in and out of the communities.
There are studies and they all (exept the south african study) show gated communities has less crime. Sometimes only slightly less.

However, there are other studies that show people who live in gated communities report crime more often. Concluding that gates really decrease crime more than the studies actually show.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
There are studies and they all (exept the south african study) show gated communities has less crime. Sometimes only slightly less.

However, there are other studies that show people who live in gated communities report crime more often. Concluding that gates really decrease crime more than the studies actually show.
Read this study and then decide http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/vi...84&context=etd
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Platinum member
Question Um.........

Quote:

The reason?

So, your conclusion would be that The Villages has less crime because it is not a true "gated community?"

O.K. .......................
Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Sage

Any gate is better than no gate
Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 AM

I don't believe any gate has ever stopped an act from happening. Seems the camera has helped catch the bad guy after the deed but the gate has only caused an inconvenience.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:25 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to jalopy54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Doesn't the Pinellas Gate have a "human" manning that gate?
No, it does not have an attendent.

Mickey
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to jalopy54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
I don't believe any gate has ever stopped an act from happening. Seems the camera has helped catch the bad guy after the deed but the gate has only caused an inconvenience.
If you are a villager, it should not be an inconvenience.

Mickey
Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
Seems the camera has helped catch the bad guy after the deed but the gate has only caused an inconvenience.
The Villages is a golf cart community, or so the signs say.
The gates aren't an inconvenience if you're driving a golf cart and waiting to cross the road.
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, villages, village, called, community

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.