There are no native Villagers!

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default There are no native Villagers!

I attended the VHA annual meeting the other evening to hear Rep. Don Hahnfeldt, a past VHA president speak. He sure is a proponent of the Villages and its way of life. He is the one who stated that there are “no native Villagers”. I had never heard that term before in describing Villagers.

When I talk to my friends back north, I suppose I am as enthusiastic about life here as he. He did seem to be preaching to the choir at this event. However, Don did talk me into volunteering for several events to be held by the VHA next year.

My impression of his take on how things get done around here is that elected and appointed officials get together to propose action and then present the ideas to the developer.

About the “no native Villager” comment, I suppose there never will be one.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

probably not since “our” hospital has neither a maternity ward nor an obstetrician on staff — you have to go to Leesburg for that, unless, of course, a midwife is used. Of course, once born the baby would have to move within thirty days.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
probably not since “our” hospital has neither a maternity ward nor an obstetrician on staff — you have to go to Leesburg for that, unless, of course, a midwife is used. Of course, once born the baby would have to move within thirty days.
That makes total sense since people under the age of 19 are not allowed to live here.

That is the real reason that there are no native Villagers.

But, it is possible that there could be native Villagers.

A young couple comes to live here and the wife gets pregnant. They remain in their house until the baby is born and for thirty days after that. That baby would technically be a native Villager.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Might be a few gators still around that are native to where TV now sits.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don’t know how I feel about this. I have a friend who was one of the first 50 Villagers. To me ...that’s Native.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,775 Times in 3,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I don’t know how I feel about this. I have a friend who was one of the first 50 Villagers. To me ...that’s Native.
I was wondering if there were some still around.

That is sooooo cool.

Somehow, it would be nice to recognize them.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I was wondering if there were some still around.

That is sooooo cool.

Somehow, it would be nice to recognize them.

I agree!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I would probably call that a "Charter Member". I wonder how many would still be around.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I think of them as pioneers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Actually there are. My neighbor in Glenbrook is one of them. He is originally from this area and grew up on a farm north of 466A. He wrote a book about growing up here and has told many of story of his adventures in the area that would become The Villages. And when they developed the area around the Glenview country club, he bought a house. So I would say, he truly is a NATIVE VILLAGER
Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The Villages started in 1983. If someone were one of the original 50 he'd have to be 99 years old now. I guess it's possible.

I've met people in my area that knew Harold Schwartz.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Native is where you were born, your friend could be called a pioneer
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Mr. Schwartz saw a man I bought golf clubs from who lived on Saint Andrews Blvd come out of the closing of his house looking less than happy. Instead of disregarding him Mr. Schwartz got him to tell him what was wrong. Turns out the house was on the property in such a way that he would not be able to add a second garage like he planned to do in the future. My new friend Vince did not know who he was speaking to at this point but the man said he would do something to make up for the problem and would he meet him at the house on Saturday morning. When they all arrived Mr. Schwartz had the new homeowner open his golf cart garage to find a brand new electric golf cart with a red bow on it for free. Customer service was his thing. Vince and his wife were thrilled and he told us this story with such energy you would have thought it just happened but it was in the late 70's or early 80's. Vince told us about what they called funny money and about a tent at the town square and that he would love to tell us details but had to run. We made a plan to see him in a couple weeks but found out this beautiful person had unexpectedly passed away. I love to hear the history of The Villages. I miss Vince.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Mr. Schwartz saw a man I bought golf clubs from who lived on Saint Andrews Blvd come out of the closing of his house looking less than happy. Instead of disregarding him Mr. Schwartz got him to tell him what was wrong. Turns out the house was on the property in such a way that he would not be able to add a second garage like he planned to do in the future. My new friend Vince did not know who he was speaking to at this point but the man said he would do something to make up for the problem and would he meet him at the house on Saturday morning. When they all arrived Mr. Schwartz had the new homeowner open his golf cart garage to find a brand new electric golf cart with a red bow on it for free. Customer service was his thing. Vince and his wife were thrilled and he told us this story with such energy you would have thought it just happened but it was in the late 70's or early 80's. Vince told us about what they called funny money and about a tent at the town square and that he would love to tell us details but had to run. We made a plan to see him in a couple weeks but found out this beautiful person had unexpectedly passed away. I love to hear the history of The Villages. I miss Vince.
When I pass the statue of Harold Schwartz I always say "thank you." Always take my guests there and tell them about the history Of The Villages.The Villages Florida
Old 12-16-2017, 03:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

if your family owned the property when the Villages started than that family would have been native to the land. It’s a thought to ponder or someone in a geology club track it.

Tags
native, vha, suppose, talk, “no

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.