Thermostats using Wi-FI

Old 03-05-2024, 08:39 AM

I have an Amazon smart thermostat that I installed in my Florida home and an Ecobee that came with the HVAC system I recently purchased in Michigan. In my opinion, the Ecobee is more intuitive, slightly nicer looking and seems to have a few more features than the Amazon. Both offer remote monitoring and control via Wi-Fi.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:03 AM

The original homeowner of my 11 year old TV house had an elaborate programable non-wifi thermostat installed years back by Munns. This year for $150 I had Munns replace it with a Honeywell T-10 Smart Wifi thermostat (model # THX321WFS200W T10 Pro) I bought on Amazon and it reliably works very well for me to monitor and control from anywhere via a mobile app or on my PC.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=jrref;2307138]I've had both and Ecobee is slightly better. Why? Because it has remote temperature sensors, I believe two come with the base unit, that you can place in the distant areas of your home to have a more uniform temperature throughout. You can also put one in your bedroom and program the Ecobee to use that at night to keep your bedroom at the temperature you want when you sleep. /QUOTE]

My new TV house came with the Ecobee 3 Lite, which doesn't have the remote sensors. With a single HVAC system, I've wondered if you find the effort to cool one area makes others cold or the reverse when heating? Or do you have a smart damper system to just route additional cool/warm area to areas needing it?
Old 03-05-2024, 09:21 AM

How do you folks deal with the constant internet wi fi interruptions. I Have xfinity with the latest White Square rectangle tower 5G or 10G looking thing and I lose My Internet at least three times a month.
I often wonder how people that have heart monitors connected to their doctor's office deal with unreliable wifi, or do they use cell towers instead?
Old 03-05-2024, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
How do you folks deal with the constant internet wi fi interruptions. I Have xfinity with the latest White Square rectangle tower 5G or 10G looking thing and I lose My Internet at least three times a month.
I often wonder how people that have heart monitors connected to their doctor's office deal with unreliable wifi, or do they use cell towers instead?
Try resetting it or go to Xfinity on 441, calling them is a waste of time.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:01 AM

I have Ecobee in both my houses. They work very good. My recommendation is to get the same in both houses. One app to mess with.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:23 AM

You did not mention if it is a new home you are getting this for? If new, it will come with Ecobee thermostat capable of connecting to WiFi and/or your Home monitor system. Have had Nest before, works great, but Ecobee does as well. Can do same things on both system. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy1rn View Post
Planning to have a thermostat installed that I can monitor my house temp using wi-fi. I have a Nest up north that I like using. I see suggestions for Ecobee which we have never heard of before.
Would appreciate comments positive/negative about either. Also, company to use for installing a new thermostat. Thank you.
Both Nest and Ecobee are good, reliable products. There are now several others such as one made by Amazon that cost much less and may be equally good. I'm sure you can fine reviews online or at Consumer Reports.

I've had both the Nest and Ecobee; I much prefer the Ecobee. The Next "learns" what it thinks you want to do during the first couple of weeks and then continues that pattern. If you ever want to change that, it can be somewhat stubborn. The Ecobee is easy to setup the way you want it (such as specify temp. for sleeping, waking, day, evening) and also easy to make exceptions as needed on some days.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Wifi thermostats are nice but most modern thermostats have an auto setting which you decide what temperature you want the A/C to come on and what temperature you want the heat to come one.

It works automatically without you having to fiddle with the thermostat.
First you have to "fiddle" with it to get the "automatic" to work.....so, yes there is always "fiddling" with something even if it is "automatic".
Old 03-06-2024, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,186 Times in 2,265 Posts

This is interesting, so I am going to ask the question about the Wi-Fi security and specifically the thermostat security. I have avoided wireless cameras and similar devices due to security concerns, and I would place a thermostat in the same class if it could be hacked and allow the hacker to control my HVAC system.
My solution would be to have an automatic thermostat and then have a wireless monitor for temperature and humidity for alerts if the automatic unit or HVAC fail.

Tags
wi-fi, thermostat, thermostats, positive/negative, comments

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.