They finally did it!

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2021, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Certainly not "unanimous", but the "vast majority", and I would say better than 95%, in this thread want to keep the old version.
In this thread maybe.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
In this thread maybe.
Which puts me in the 5%

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-31-2021, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
I am on multiple other forums.
They all have the option of choosing a viewing theme.
A light or dark theme is common.
best forum software 2021 - Google Search
11 Best Forum Software to Build an Online Community in 2021
We can do the new version with a different color 'theme'. But it will still be the layout of the new version. Let us know if that would be a good option.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Some of the things I don't like about the new version are:
The stark white background. It's tough on the eyes after awhile. The old color scheme was much easier to look at.

I usually hit the "Today's Posts" link. The list it presents isn't as well defined as it used to be. Meaning the lines between each thread aren't as well defined. Everything just kind of runs together.
1) So a different option than the white background

2) When you click 'new posts' there are lines that separate each one. Is there something that would be better in this regard?
Old 05-31-2021, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
The green menu box that pops up on an android phone is too tiny to be able to use and very difficult and annoying to get rid of.
On an Ipad the the classifieds present poorly so that you can't even read the descriptions or make out the pictures.
It does not appear that the app is ever tested on mobile devices.
1) We will send both of these suggestions to the developers to improve.

2) The website was tested on mobile and we appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If you sincerely appreciate user feedback and want to make a huge improvement, bring back the old version.
That is a good suggestion but doesn't address the need for keeping updated with technology.

If there is a specific suggestion on how to improve the new version please submit.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
In a nutshell, in the old version, you can see a lot more of the various topics with a LOT LESS scrolling.

In the old version, you can on the home page quickly look at the latest posts in ALL the forums without going to each forum.
On the new version we changed the forum thread homepage and it is now like you describe.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't see too many people in the 4 pages of replies say they love the new version. That's why I find that 95% number a tad hard to believe
We didn't want to go off how we thought or felt so we implemented google analytic code for tracking when we launched the new version. So we know the data is correct.

Also the majority of consumers will write a bad review 10-1 before they write a good one. So only seeing a fraction of the 200,000 visitors a month with this feedback also lends to the data being correct.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Certainly not "unanimous", but the "vast majority", and I would say better than 95%, in this thread want to keep the old version.
The numbers in this thread are a fraction of 200,000 monthly visitors.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
We can do the new version with a different color 'theme'. But it will still be the layout of the new version. Let us know if that would be a good option.
Yes, an option to change from a white background to a darker background would be great.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
1) So a different option than the white background

2) When you click 'new posts' there are lines that separate each one. Is there something that would be better in this regard?
Yes, an option for a different colored background would be great. The color scheme of the old version worked well.

Yes, there are lines that differentiate the threads but they're not as well pronounced as the older version.

Another thing that I noticed since I've been using the new version is that it's more condensed. Whereas the old version took up my entire screen from side to side, the new version only takes up the middle 2/3 of the screen. Seems a bit crowded.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
On the new version we changed the forum thread homepage and it is now like you describe.
This is better. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I like the new version.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage

Silly question alert…how do I know which version I am using?
Old 06-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
We track the users that us the new format vs the old format. On average 95% of the users on TOTV are using the new format.

That being noted, we value the opinion of ALL users and we want to make the user experience as high of quality as possible. Obviously anyone with a computer or cell phone understands that technology advances and the software and development of the software has to advance with it as well. TOTV is extremely custom coded and we do not have the benefit of plug and play.

If we are provided with images, screen shots and specific suggestions on how to improve the experience on the website we would gladly look to implement changes. Feedback like 'bad', 'don't like it', 'sucks', 'won't use it', etc unfortunately does not provide the feedback required to make change and improvements.

We appreciate all the user support and feedback and value the time you spend on the website.

TOTV Team
If you could take every part that's brilliant white (especially that page that lists all the posts) and make it a softer color or even a softer white, that would be a big help. I don't mind the new version so much as the terrible glare on any page that's white. I suppose I could dim my screen, but that would cause a problem with other web sites.

Tags
version, r.i.p, totv, withdrawn, finally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.