Thieves caught in Fernandina this morning

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie70 View Post
We need more security here in the villages.....We need our own Police Department....To many people coming in and out.. We moved here because we thought it was safe....We need more then just the gates ....any body can use those gates....to come in and out.....
Unfortunately, a community that is truly gated is not immune. Ask people that live in one. If thieves are willing to kick in doors, break windows, etc. to gain entry to what they are after, they will find a way to get into those communities.

We, as Villagers, just need to stay vigilant and continue to watch out for our safety and for those of our neighbors. That is exactly what got these two caught. Thanks, ya'll.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Oh my!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM

I doubt that this arrest will keep them from trying it again. Like the punks who laughed while being jailed for killing sheep, no regard/respect for the law or other people's property. They are so into technology that they can't relate to real humans and reality. They have to make a game out of everything. The parents ripped off their own kids by NOT teaching them. Sorry...just the way I feel.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Meth/Crack heads will do anything to get money for their next fix. Unless they get rehab, they will be in and out of jail their entire life. Unless they can tie them to other crimes, they will be out on the streets again before you know it. I'm with Jimbo, install an alarm system, and get your Fl. CCP.

Last edited by e-flyer; 02-07-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Sage

What if they shoot you first in an exchange???

Is it worth it?

I would not want to be put in that position, let them take what they want and leave
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Sage

Several years ago I saw an example of good security at Century Village in Pembroke Pines, Florida. I went to visit my aunt who was living there at the time. When I got to the entrance I was asked why I was there. I told them I was there to visit my aunt. So the person at the gate got on the phone and called my aunt to verify that she was due to have a visitor. Then they let me in. It was a large development with private roads.

That will never happen in The Villages because all the roads are public and anyone can drive through. Furthermore, we are known to surrounding areas as being a "rich community" with lots of good stuff for enterprising burglars.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
Villages news reporting that two young men were caught early this morning in the Village of Fernandina when a homeowner called 911 when they saw suspicious activity. The two young men were arrested around 5:45.
The vigilance of watching out for each other will solve the burglaries. The sheriff's dept and community watch cannot be everywhere at once.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

Is it worth it?

I would not want to be put in that position, let them take what they want and leave
Sometimes we end up in positions we don't want to be in ... so then the question is what's the best thing to do? Intruders willing to break into an occupied house at night, at great risk, are probably willing to shoot whoever they encounter anyway.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:

Is it worth it?

Yes, Count me in as a dead hero.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
let them take what they want and leave
Then why did you have an alarm system installed?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Sage

Well to deter them to some degree, but some are sharp enough to bypass it.

the other reason is to send them to an easier target w/o alarm

also to protect my dog from harm
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Yes, Count me in as a dead hero.
Oh Kitty, one does have to love you.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Several years ago I saw an example of good security at Century Village in Pembroke Pines, Florida. I went to visit my aunt who was living there at the time. When I got to the entrance I was asked why I was there. I told them I was there to visit my aunt. So the person at the gate got on the phone and called my aunt to verify that she was due to have a visitor. Then they let me in. It was a large development with private roads.

That will never happen in The Villages because all the roads are public and anyone can drive through. Furthermore, we are known to surrounding areas as being a "rich community" with lots of good stuff for enterprising burglars.
VillagesPl you are spot on. People do not realize that because we are a CDD run community we cannot have policing powers (police department) and why we have to rely on county Law enforcement officials.
Apparently some residents don't understand that we have a unique form of government here that creates a number of benefits but also flaws. The Developer like all such builders will only do the minimum because their motive isn't altruistic by economics. So in order to have the gated community that some of us thought TV was the Developer would have had to install gates, etc at every village entrance which would be both impractical and cost prohibitive. This is why some of us believe that the gates in use now are at least a help in deterring some of the horribles and worth the inconvenience
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.