Thieves caught in Fernandina this morning

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,184 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default Thieves caught in Fernandina this morning

Villages news reporting that two young men were caught early this morning in the Village of Fernandina when a homeowner called 911 when they saw suspicious activity. The two young men were arrested around 5:45.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
Villages news reporting that two young men were caught early this morning in the Village of Fernandina when a homeowner called 911 when they saw suspicious activity. The two young men were arrested around 5:45.
The thieves don't realize that us older people are up and around early! Congratulations to the neighbor who called!!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Thank-You to my neighbor that called.....
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM

It appears Sumter County sheriff’s deputies may have foiled an early morning burglary attempt in the Village of Fernandina.Two men are in custody in the Sumter County Detention Center.The sheriff’s office received a report of a burglary in progress at about 5:45 a.m. Thursday in the 1400 block of Ducksbury Street.A homeowner reported seeing two young men with flashlights and knit caps, traveling in a light-colored car. Shortly thereafter, deputies made contact with a similar car. The occupants of the car gave consent to deputies to search the automobile, and found were burglary tools, knit caps and flashlights. Also found were a garage door opener and an owner’s manual for a Mazda RX-7. It was later determined the manual and garage door opener were taken from the 1100 block of Allaire Loop. Deputies also received another complaint of sunglasses, reading glasses and a small prescription bottle containing loose change were taken from a Chevy Silverado pickup truck. There were pry marks indicating someone had tried to take a navigation system.Charged are Corey Smith, 22, of Lady Lake and Jordan Goetzen, 18, of Weirsdale.They are each facing charges of possession of burglary tools, loitering and prowling, methamphetamine possession, criminal mischief and petty theft.Smith and Goetzen are being held on $19,500 bond each at the Sumter County Detention Center.

Lt. Bobby Caruthers said detectives are trying to determine if the two are linked to previous burglaries in The Villages.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Default Hats Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag460 View Post
It appears Sumter County sheriff’s deputies may have foiled an early morning burglary attempt in the Village of Fernandina.Two men are in custody in the Sumter County Detention Center.The sheriff’s office received a report of a burglary in progress at about 5:45 a.m. Thursday in the 1400 block of Ducksbury Street.A homeowner reported seeing two young men with flashlights and knit caps, traveling in a light-colored car. Shortly thereafter, deputies made contact with a similar car. The occupants of the car gave consent to deputies to search the automobile, and found were burglary tools, knit caps and flashlights. Also found were a garage door opener and an owner’s manual for a Mazda RX-7. It was later determined the manual and garage door opener were taken from the 1100 block of Allaire Loop. Deputies also received another complaint of sunglasses, reading glasses and a small prescription bottle containing loose change were taken from a Chevy Silverado pickup truck. There were pry marks indicating someone had tried to take a navigation system.Charged are Corey Smith, 22, of Lady Lake and Jordan Goetzen, 18, of Weirsdale.They are each facing charges of possession of burglary tools, loitering and prowling, methamphetamine possession, criminal mischief and petty theft.Smith and Goetzen are being held on $19,500 bond each at the Sumter County Detention Center.

Lt. Bobby Caruthers said detectives are trying to determine if the two are linked to previous burglaries in The Villages.
Hats off to the Sheriff dept and the resident that made the early call.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Way to GO!!!!! It is great to be vigilant about your surroundings---
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Glad to hear they caught these idiots. A car manual??? That should have a great resale value. sheesh!!!!! Now, if they could catch the guy who kicks in doors.

Way to go neighbors and police!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Veteran member

Saw

Last edited by mac9; 02-07-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: don't want to post it
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Sage

I'm glad they were caught before the burglary was committed. Maybe that will deter these young men from a life of crime.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I'm glad they were caught before the burglary was committed. Maybe that will deter these young men from a life of crime.
As I read the news report, there is evidence that they had already committed two separate burglaries in the neighborhood prior to being stopped. I think they had already chosen their path.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Sage

That's close to us, glad I just installed my alarm, but I think the alarm sign alone deters most.

would I want to break in a home with an alarm sign or without one?

I think that home Sales may be affected by these recent break ins,
so maybe the Morses need to get involved on stepping up the number of Community watch patrols.

Do they pay attention to this issue?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
jblum: Unfortunately statistics show that young males that steal property have substantially a higher rate of recidivism that a person who commits murder out of passion. Makes sense. the person who commits murder out of passion are not really career criminal such as the young men committing property crimes. And since the murder will get a long term sentence they are mostly older guys when they get out . counter-intuitive huh
Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks for keeping an eye out my Fernandina neighbors..
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM

We need more security here in the villages.....We need our own Police Department....To many people coming in and out.. We moved here because we thought it was safe....We need more then just the gates ....any body can use those gates....to come in and out.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.