Thin skinned TVers

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But it's not really a full TOTV football game experience unless we have a head cheerleader. Tends to balance some of the overstated "negative" posts. If a negative post is a legitimate and important concern, what better than a forum like this to bring it to light and debate it, maybe get it changed. And if it just nonsense, that gets pointed out as well. It's not a game of one on one, the majority of the posters will decide the difference.
Good point. But usually the cheerleaders don't tackle the opposing team's player.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What is difficult to ascertain on this forum is whether an ox is gored at all. When someone says that contractor cheated me, it well could be the guy that contractor fired last week who is posting. That is the danger of being anonymous. I am increasingly skeptical about negativity for that reason. Perhaps it isn't entirely honest to be diplomatic. I am becoming more direct and sometimes harsh on this forum and I don't like that.
GG;

Forgive the diversion but in my past life, attempting to test the veracity of people was a vital part of the job. it is difficult to do that without the benefit of body language. and if the perpetrator is conducting a farce by mail/email only then you do have to make a move to determine what the perp does next and like chess such moves help tell the story.

TOTV is an entirely different playing field and quite frankly the stakes not near as high for me. so I really don't care much if the person is telling the truth, a half truth. it is my way of saying I am not playing your game.
Many times I start out with "based on the fact you present" after reading your post perhaps i should start out every post with "based on the facts you present"

Personal best Regards>
Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Good point. But usually the cheerleaders don't tackle the opposing team's player.
If the opposing team is lucky, they do
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
It doesn't take long to figure out whose opinion concerns you and whose you ignore on this site, and in life in general. I'd guess that most of our reactions to the issues discussed in TOTV are pretty predictable. Once you see who is posting, you'll be able to predict the content and tone of the post.

Trying to understand the emotion of a statement when you can't hear it but can only read it can be difficult. I do think that Americans in general spend way too much time trying to prove to the world how much smarter they are than the next guy, and certainly that is true on TOTV.

As for "The Bubble," it doesn't exist. Never did. Never will. This is a great place to live because of the THINGS present in the community and the opportunity those present for all of us to enjoy life, but it's filled with people of diverse backgrounds, with diverse opinions, and diverse ways of interacting with others. That's just like everyplace else in the world. That cultural stew is disconcerting for some. For others, that's part of what makes The Villages, and the rest of the world, exciting!
Hi Cewards: In general I agree with what you say but I am not sure I understand your opening remarks "it doesn't take long to determine whose opinions concern you and whose you can ignore....????????

My practice is to read every post on a thread, sometimes some posts more than once. It isn't a matter of concern or agreement like or dislike, same old same old (same application). It is a matter of understanding. It is a matter of removing emotion and bias as best we can, and reaching pure thought before responding. And as to same old same old...same old same old can and often does take on a different meaning/result on different matters. I work hard at not dealing in absolutes so I am not prone to say I already know what XYZ poster is going to say because XYZ poster may have added or deleted something different/new to their opinion. Or in fact I have ignored XYZ posters comments so often i missed that XYZ stated......Shame on me

I have enjoyed your comments over the years

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
It doesn't take long to figure out whose opinion concerns you and whose you ignore on this site, and in life in general. I'd guess that most of our reactions to the issues discussed in TOTV are pretty predictable. Once you see who is posting, you'll be able to predict the content and tone of the post.

Trying to understand the emotion of a statement when you can't hear it but can only read it can be difficult. I do think that Americans in general spend way too much time trying to prove to the world how much smarter they are than the next guy, and certainly that is true on TOTV.

As for "The Bubble," it doesn't exist. Never did. Never will. This is a great place to live because of the THINGS present in the community and the opportunity those present for all of us to enjoy life, but it's filled with people of diverse backgrounds, with diverse opinions, and diverse ways of interacting with others. That's just like everyplace else in the world. That cultural stew is disconcerting for some. For others, that's part of what makes The Villages, and the rest of the world, exciting!
The thinned skin people are part of the melting pot, the thick skin people are part of the cultural stew. As for me, and you'll have to take my word on it, I'm just plain stocky.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The thinned skin people are part of the melting pot, the thick skin people are part of the cultural stew. As for me, and you'll have to take my word on it, I'm just plain stocky.

A good person casts a decent shadow. That's what I say.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Platinum member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi Cewards: In general I agree with what you say but I am not sure I understand your opening remarks "it doesn't take long to determine whose opinions concern you and whose you can ignore....????????

My practice is to read every post on a thread, sometimes some posts more than once. It isn't a matter of concern or agreement like or dislike, same old same old (same application). It is a matter of understanding. It is a matter of removing emotion and bias as best we can, and reaching pure thought before responding. And as to same old same old...same old same old can and often does take on a different meaning/result on different matters. I work hard at not dealing in absolutes so I am not prone to say I already know what XYZ poster is going to say because XYZ poster may have added or deleted something different/new to their opinion. Or in fact I have ignored XYZ posters comments so often i missed that XYZ stated......Shame on me

Personal Best Regards:
Good point! So let me be more specific about my first statement. I ignore those persons who try to tell me to be quiet about an issue that is important to me. Even more specifically, I read all their comments but I ignore their advice. Their attempt to suppress my thoughts just makes me want to express them all the more, so I do. Thankfully there aren't many on here who try to do that, but from past experience, when I see them I know them.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A good person casts a decent shadow. That's what I say.
I'm a big fan of Steven Colbert.
“What does anybody want? Not to be alone. I think a performer gets on stage and says the things that are in his mind in his own particular way, to make a connection with the audience so he doesn’t feel so alone. And hopefully the audience feels the same way.”

Gems like the above quote resulted from a wonderful, insightful interview on the program “Witness” with a then-Colbearded Stephen and Fr. Thomas Rosica of the Salt and Light Catholic Media Foundation. The interview, which occurred in April of this year, offers a deeper understanding into how Stephen juggles his work as a satirist/comedian with his Catholic faith.

I just watched this. I sure hope I'm not flip. By definition I am. I'm going to watch it again.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Good point! So let me be more specific about my first statement. I ignore those persons who try to tell me to be quiet about an issue that is important to me. Even more specifically, I read all their comments but I ignore their advice. Their attempt to suppress my thoughts just makes me want to express them all the more, so I do. Thankfully there aren't many on here who try to do that, but from past experience, when I see them I know them.
Cewards: Aah now that I understand. We do not have enough of individualism in this country today. I too like to be my own man. Again i work hard at not judging but pure thought for that exact reason and the only one I know who knows what lurks in the heart of man is the....Shadow

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-30-2015, 06:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There have been posters here I truly have not liked and have hoped I would never meet in person. Some folks just ain't nice!

I know I try to stay balanced and get my point across (even in political) without denigrating an opposing view. Usually works unless you really hurt my feelings or are just downright mean to someone else. Then the white gloves get slipped into punching gloves but even then you'll usually still have to read between the lines to see how angry I am. Name calling is just sophomoric. As Sally has said, what we say here is here forever.

I won't dismiss a relatively new poster who disses a contractor, but I will watch the thread to see if others have also had bad experiences. The same goes with referrals. Even the best contractors have off days and the customer they can never satisfy.

I've also started threads that I knew would be contentious, such as the pain "drinking the Kool Aid" causes me. Even so, if it is important enough to my mind, I'm going to say it and not always as nicely as I should. Sometimes we just can't be kind, fair or balanced, especially when it is something that hits close to home.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Personal Best Regards:
I'm guessing, but is the answer X=Y/Z ?
Closed Thread

Tags
people, thin, live, forums, lot, skinned, life, change, crises, place, happened, disagree, friendly, group, page, facebook, minded, in?confused, allowed, friends, venue, subjects, perspectives, reinforce, morphed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.