Things to think about when moving to the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Default Re: Things to think about when moving to the Villages

I would add to research whether or not you want an additional insurance policy (and I'm talking uninsured motorist policy) on your golf cart. The golf cart insurance carried under the homeowners policy usually onlt covers property damage, not personal injury. There have been many, many accidents with golf carts where people were seriously injured and the little H.O. policy didn't cover squat. I work for a pi lawyer and we get those cases all the time.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the additional input. I will add these entries to my list. I plan on putting out this list on an occasional basis for those that join later or missed the list.

I will change the preamble to include that the list has been contributed to by others in TOTV.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Eternal Member

Kahuna - we went with a softener as a matter of choice. We like the difference in the feel of the softened water.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM

Hello all!
My wife and I have been discussing moving to TV. We ordered and viewed the DVD and think it would be a great place for our retirement. (We previously lived in the Oviedo, FL area a couple of years ago- now in South Carolina.) I've been pouring over the threads and have been trying to determine exactly what the pet restrictions are. I looked at the Sumter County Deed Restrictions and it only mentions "domestic" pets, but no numbers. (We have three small indoor dogs and a couple of indoor cats). Another place I saw a two pet limit. Also, what is the veterinarian situation? Are there good ones in TV, or Ocala? We are pet lovers and treat our pets better than most people treat their children. We like the idea of the villas so we can have a small fenced yard to exercise them in.

I'm also confused about the Homeowner's Association. The website gave me the impression it is voluntary and you have to pay to be a member. Aren't you automatically a member by owning property in TV? Is there any way to view individual villages' covenants and restrictions, since they differ?

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

B45, I sent you a private messge.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Great list Z, I wonder if the grand poobah (AKA talkhost) could make it a sticky or give it it's own forum site (not sure if that's the right terminology)
Old 09-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Platinum member

b45:
A couple of thoughts about your recent questrions.
I think the restrictions read "two animals." That could pose you a problem in a neighborhood where folks are "nosey" and stick to the "rules" hardnosedly. It's probably a better idea to have a villa, so your pooches can do their thing in private, rather than in public!
There are several vets here. The Cat and I have adopted Dr. Amy Barnett at Paws Animal Hospital (Laurel Manor Professional Plaza area) and are very happy with her. Of course, The Cat only sees her once a year, I go there more often to get his food. But, her treatment is very good. She's a mere "child" to many of us (a recent UFla grad) but very professional and considerate of both the animal and the human! And, her front-desk staff are very friendly and capable, always following through when I order The Cat's food ahead of time!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 PM

for b45. The pet restriction is, indeed, 2 per household, max. Like some of your contributors have mentioned, if you don't mind breaking the rules and giving your new neighbors the idea that you are going to do whatever you please, then come on down. The restrictions are put there for a damn good reason. To give consideration to your neighbors, and for the better good of the entire neighborhood. I had a guy move in next door to me and the first thing he told me was that he was bringing in his five cats and I should keep my mouth closed about it. I am sorry to say that I did keep my mouth closed. He moved in three years and his house is uninhabitable. He cut the grass at 10pm (about once a month). He is gone now and the house is still vacant.
Most people join the Villages Homeowners Assn (VHA) when they first arrive. After a year or so they realize that the VHA is just the mouthpiece of the Developer and puts out only one-sided information. They then realize that the Property Owners Assn (POA) is the only organization looking out for the wellbeing of the property owners, be it in the historic (manufactured homes mostly) or the newer Villages. Both organizations charge a small membership fee. Be a good neighbor, b45. If you can't part with some of your pets, don't come here. We are mostly a good and courteous group of people. A lot of us obey speed limit signs, stop at stop signs, limit our pets to two, don't walk our pets on our neighbors lawns, and don't rush to soupup our golf carts when we get one. But, there are people here who do all of the above and tell the rest of us that we are nuts for wanting to stick to the covenants and restrictions. The only people who benefit from that kind of thinking are the inconsiderate ones who would steal your pink flamingo off your front lawn (please, please, don't think Villagers like the pink flamingo as a sign of a true person from Florida).
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM

z - we need you to come out with Chapter 2 in your award winning forum posting!!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member

I have included all of the comments from the various entries above. After I check it out I will repost as "Things to think about when moving to the Villages - Revised"

Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM

I hired Mike's Maintenance to take care of my lawn when I'm gone from The Villages. I have had two calls from neighbors saying my lawn looks terrible. Mike's is to cut, trim and edge the grass, blow the clippings, weed the flower beds and around shrubs, and trim the bushes 4 times a year. The only thing they get done is to mow the grass. I have been gone 8 months and the calls to Mike's seem to go on deaf ears. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM

When we arranged for our house insurance the agent told us that Flood insurance was a separate policy and not needed. What did everyone else do. Flood insurance Yes or No??
Old 09-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage

Mom....my agent quoted $300/year for flood insurance; looking at the topography and potential risk, I opted not to take it out. Not a very thorough analysis, more of a gut feeling that it was not absolutely necessary.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.