Think Twice

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I believe the number is 100% have had contact with another person who is carrying the virus.

Am I missing something?
Thanks for saying what I was thinking! Ron
Old 08-25-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I notice that around 85-90% of the deaths from the Virus indicate the unfortunate victim had contact with a person who had had the virus! In today's reporting all 7 had been in contact with a person who had the virus.:
I believe that statistic just means that 85-90% of the people know WHO infected them. They find out that their spouse, family member, friend that they regularly play cards with, etc. has tested positive, they have some symptoms, and they go get tested.

While it’s possible that you can get the virus from asymptomatic carriers, since most people are social distancing and wearing masks, and going out less, there are a smaller percentage of cases where people have no idea how they got it.

That’s my interpretation.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:05 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
I notice that around 85-90% of the deaths from the Virus indicate the unfortunate victim had contact with a person who had had the virus! In today's reporting all 7 had been in contact with a person who had the virus. I then go by one of the Bar's in Sumter Landing and see the many who are not using 6 feet distance and don't have a mask on! Either they have not seen the statistics regarding the risks of that behavior or don't care. It may be really smart to think twice when you throw out the suggestions for control of your behavior?
You know what I would like to see? All you paranoid people that have not yet realized that you cannot hide from a virus, just stay home and leave the rest of us alone. We are living life. We don’t walk around with masks over our faces that do no good anyway! If we get the virus we will deal with it. If we don’t we won’t. It’s just another virus with the same mortality rate as the flu. COVID-19 is not a death sentence for over 99% of us! You still don’t realize that this thing has been weaponized by the media for political purposes. So stay home if you choose but just be quiet about it!
Old 08-25-2020, 06:23 AM

It may not be a death sentence but it messes up life. A friend had to postpone a hip replacement because of a positive test. Now will loss income for additional weeks or months. A Grandparent cannot hold the grandchild ,positive test. A trip overseas for a family celebration canceled. Positive test. Hours of concern when notified by a place of business that staff tested positive and You might want to get tested. Nope not a death sentence a life messed up. Those at risk do take precautions and do try to live. Those who still think this is like the flu...maybe you need to be quiet and just hang with others who are self-centered. We all need to be self responsible. Not insulting. Don't wear a mask fine stay away from those of us who do. Maybe we are positive and protecting you or your loved ones? Maybe we are choosing to live longer and not die an ugly painful death. Maybe we know if we get it that it will be death or worse living with horrid body results from it. Personally I would take having the flu over Covid-19.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I believe the number is 100% have had contact with another person who is carrying the virus.

Am I missing something?
This is just a guess on my part, but is it possible that the people who caught Covid from surfaces touched by someone but were not in close proximity to the person were excluded?
Old 08-25-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
We have witnessed the same, no restaurants and large crowds for us. We are not afraid with wearing masks a necessary precaution. Our concern is the consistent reports of 5 people daily testing positive for COVID in The Villages. Issue being delays in getting test results in a timely manner. Contact tracing in non existent in Florida. Infected people are walking among us.
Testing numbers have gone down from 100,000 daily to near 30,000 is it that important to rush to phase 3 reopening. Play safe, stay healthy.
The key phrase I have seen in the reports is "have been in contact with another patient" with patient being the key word. People in bars are not patients.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:27 AM

Most all that report “had been in contact with another person” are in a assisted living, memory care, nursing home or similar facility, who had been in contact with the one staff person who was positive.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
You know what I would like to see? All you paranoid people that have not yet realized that you cannot hide from a virus, just stay home and leave the rest of us alone. We are living life. We don’t walk around with masks over our faces that do no good anyway! If we get the virus we will deal with it. If we don’t we won’t. It’s just another virus with the same mortality rate as the flu. COVID-19 is not a death sentence for over 99% of us! You still don’t realize that this thing has been weaponized by the media for political purposes. So stay home if you choose but just be quiet about it!
I'm not one for conspiracy theories to begin with but this one would involve over the leaders of over 180 counties getting together behind closed doors.

The problem with simply staying home and being quiet about it is that every person that contracts the virus is a danger to every person that comes near him. if you pick up the virus by hanging out at a bar and then stop at a supermarket on your way home, you have possibly infected several other people, especially if you don't wear a mask. Masks mostly protect the people around the wearer. Now those people go home to family members and are a threat to them.

It may not be a death sentence for 99% of the people, but we don't often hear the statistics of how many people suffer permanent damage after contracting the virus. Some people have to be hospitalized which is not a pleasant experience. Also we all need to take into consideration that we are in an area with a large number of people that are at very high risk to die if they contract the virus.

The idea that social distancing and wearing masks will help stop the spread of the virus is accepted experts in over 180 countries. The longer this goes on, the longer these protocols will remain in place.

As for it being no different than the seasonal flu, I don't recall the seasonal fly lasting for eight months or more. I don't believe that the seasonal flu is as contagious as Covid-19. This virus spreads faster than any other that we have experienced.

The more people that follow the recommended guidelines, the better off we'll all be. It's not simply about you, it's about everyone around you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
My girlfriend’s parents three hours south of The Villages, ages 91 and 85, have been in the hospital fighting this virus for 17 days. Her dad is doing better and may be transferred to a rehab hospital today so he can learn to walk again. Her mother is sinking. I don’t think she is going to make it.

Yes, people die of the flu, often in the hospital, but not usually after long struggles like this to stay alive. They claim they stayed away from other people and wore masks and gloves. But they went to the barber shop and the beauty parlor and the nail salon, though there were precautions. The mom went shopping. She wore rubber gloves, then took them off for reuse, pulling on the possibly contaminated fingertips. They went out to dinner a couple times. They had a couple “safe” couples over. Two of those safe men now have the virus. The dad sat head to head with one guy who came over explaining something. No mask, but he was safe. The mom gave a big hug to the neighbors across the street, one of whom is on chemotherapy right now. So now he has it. Or did he give it to them? Who knows.

You are right that for most of us, it is no worse than a cold or the flu. You are right that the number who are in the hospital is perhaps overblown. But when the people who treat these sick people and give them rides and take their money at cash registers and do their nails for a living are at much higher risk of illness or even death, it should be sobering. If I were a nurse or a doctor, I would be seriously scared. If I were still teaching, as I was a few months ago, I would be very nervous.

I wish there were, say, a special color of shirt or hat that people could wear that symbolizes that the wearer doesn’t believe in all this and is making no attempt to avoid this sickness. Then those of us who are nervous could just quietly keep our distance.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Can't Make It up

You can't make it up, there are some who actually think the Virus is a "so what risk". Can't figure if this is trying to be "macho" or just stupid? A measure that can/should be used when considering the behavior "is it worth my life" if I attend and get the virus? I would suggest asking if it is worth risking another persons life but judging from a few responses that is not a priority in their selfish agenda. I feel bad for those who actually get the virus but my sympathy for these selfish behavior people is really low. Why give a hoot for those who expose others? Hey, I've a great idea for these behavior challenged people. Why not go to a facility (Rehab/Hospital) and volunteer to help out. We have a son that works in one of these facilities and they can always use additional help for replacements of those workers who have the Virus from contacts.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Have not.
I am in my local now!
well I guess our local newspaper and social media had it incorrect about the pubs in the UK

gosh, who knew that they wouldn't have been absolutely 100% accurate

stay safe
Old 08-25-2020, 07:52 AM

Hey you! Wear a mask
and practice social distancing.

Don’t be socially irresponsible and put fellow Villagers at risk.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2F2D6F7D-6641-48BB-929E-11278688D523.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	85984  

Last edited by George Page; 08-25-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
You can't make it up, there are some who actually think the Virus is a "so what risk". Can't figure if this is trying to be "macho" or just stupid? A measure that can/should be used when considering the behavior "is it worth my life" if I attend and get the virus? I would suggest asking if it is worth risking another persons life but judging from a few responses that is not a priority in their selfish agenda. I feel bad for those who actually get the virus but my sympathy for these selfish behavior people is really low. Why give a hoot for those who expose others? Hey, I've a great idea for these behavior challenged people. Why not go to a facility (Rehab/Hospital) and volunteer to help out. We have a son that works in one of these facilities and they can always use additional help for replacements of those workers who have the Virus from contacts.

Two Key Words: Stupid & Selfish.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Many years ago, 2009, there was a virus called the swine flu. 60 million Americans caught it. They stopped testing because they could not keep up. It did not cause the close down of the country or the world. That specific strain of flu is now considered a normal seasonal flu. Stop whining. This happens periodically and not everyone will survive, especially the frail. It is a reality of life. So wash your hands. Wear a mask, which may do nothing, if it makes you happy, and allow people the freedom to live their lives.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I notice that around 85-90% of the deaths from the Virus indicate the unfortunate victim had contact with a person who had had the virus! In today's reporting all 7 had been in contact with a person who had the virus. I then go by one of the Bar's in Sumter Landing and see the many who are not using 6 feet distance and don't have a mask on! Either they have not seen the statistics regarding the risks of that behavior or don't care. It may be really smart to think twice when you throw out the suggestions for control of your behavior?
They don't care, if they are a carrier of the virus without any symptom they can spread it to many others About the people that say it;s their right to not wear a mask, I'm glad that residents in London during the night bombing did not take the position that "I'm going to keep my lights on because it;s my right"
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, person, contact, behavior, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.