Thinking of coming down

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2021, 07:01 AM

Garry , you should probably wait and ride down with your mom.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:05 AM

Gary, you probably should wait and ride down with your mom.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We had planned on coming down early March as we were last down mid January. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that I can leave as early as Thursday afternoon after my 2nd Covid shot. The issue I have is do I want to do the 20 hour drive alone and I know 10 days in The Villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess I am just venting as I try to figure out what is best. If I don’t do this then it will be the end of April before we get down there.
I made this journey when I was in my 30s. I was a wreck for “daze.” Men seem to fare better than women, but I would never do it again.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Nope, wife is a hospice nurse and has to see patients everyday. Doctors says no planes. Even with the shots I will still wear the mask etc and do everything I have been doing for a year. I do sit in the house day after day because or the cold and snow. I can’t afford to fall as my bones are compromised and the cold goes right through those old bones.
You’re wife’s job clearly makes her stuck in the snow belt state! We were both stuck in Minnesota in the winters when my wife retired two years before I retired, and I was stuck working in Minnesota, where I was only allowed to work remotely one day a week. That’s interesting that you’re doctor says no flying. Even in first class, where there’s less crowding? My wife couldn’t fly for two months after an eye surgery, because of the altitude pressure, a doctor’s order.

I assume that you’re doctor probably also says to not go to the grocery store, and have the groceries delivered. No going to restaurants either. Then I assume you’d wipe down all the delivered groceries after they are delivered to your home with sanitizing wipes. It sounds like it would be safer to hunker down in the house up north, instead of traveling, and turn the heat up!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:11 AM

Depending on where you live in MA (from Cape Cod 9-10 hours to Lorton, VA), you could drive and take the overnight train from Lorton to Sanford. I wouldn't drive for 2-3 days after my second shot. Driving 9-10 hours should be the max. I wouldn't drive more than 7-8 hours at a time.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Default Harsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Well Gary...I suggest you do as you please. I think that comes with being an adult and when you depend on complete strangers to suggest a plan of action then you should likely stay where you are till your wife is able to go with you.

That'll be $400 for the assist.
Well that’s a little harsh don’t you think? The guy was just looking for a little conversation.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Gary, it sounds like you’re explaining something that only you & your wife have to figure out. If you can’t come I don’t know what you expect anybody to say other than don’t come or come when you can!
Old 02-25-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
You also have to think about how you are going to feel after the second shot. The last thing you want to do is that drive alone and having a reaction to the second shot.
That was good helpful advice.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:13 PM

That long drive alone is dangerous and risks a serious, even fatal, car accident. I would advise waiting until April when your wife can join you. Enjoy your time here when it arrives!
Old 02-25-2021, 04:39 PM

I was a professional truck driver over the road for 27 yrs. I used to drive a 1000 miles a day. I can't do 1100 miles from IL to the villages any more and I'm only 67 yrs old. I get a motel south of atlanta every time I drive down. No reason to be a leather as. You sleep a day and half when you drive straight threw.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2020 View Post
Gary, you probably should wait and ride down with your mom.
It is people like you that give The Villages a bad name. You just can’t be nice.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBorden View Post
I think you asked the question to get some ideas...not smart remarks. I would wait for a couple days after the shot as most people I know that have had the Moderna have a reaction. On your day of departure, I would leave extremely early AM and drive your 10 hours and be off the road and in a hotel (even though they seem to be safe, I bring my sanitizing items and clean all surfaces). That way you may be driving in the dark at the beginning of your trip, but you will be off the road mid afternoon and then find a hotel and rest up. On your second day, same thing, up early, hit the road, stop every two hours, stretch for 5 minutes and get back on the road. You will be here before 5 pm on the second day. Listen to your music on the way down, pack a lunch, make it a fun trip even though you are by yourself. I have done it quite a few times and its not so bad. When traffic wasnt heavy, I made some phone calls and talked with some old friends along the way etc. Enjoy, and come stay in your home, even if you have to take four total days to go here and back home, it will clear your head, get you out of the cold, and you get to enjoy your home. Coming south, when we stop, we usually stop at at exits that have a Cracker Barrel. Not to eat, but to walk around in their shop, use the rest room, and it gets us out of the car. We use the app “I Exit”. Try it out, there are a lot of good things on that. I say life is short, you should go for it. The alternative is sitting home, not going outside, dealing with the cold when you have to. It will be March here and our days are already getting warmer. Pack your snacks and drinks in a cooler. We also make our hotel reservations at Hampton Inns or Hamton Properties, We are Hilton members, and when the pandemic is over, we will start traveling more. That way, mentally, you know you have a place to sleep, and you know exactly how far you are going that day. These are the tips we have learned over the years. GO FOR IT!!
Thank you
Old 02-25-2021, 07:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

So the shot went well today, so far so good. Looked into the train and it would cost at least $1500 for that but probably more as that is based on a 18 foot vehicle and mine is 22 feet. Looking to to wait now until after my next set up chemo and to go down early April with my wife for about 10 days. Will just spend another month house bound.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
We had planned on coming down early March as we were last down mid January. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that I can leave as early as Thursday afternoon after my 2nd Covid shot. The issue I have is do I want to do the 20 hour drive alone and I know 10 days in The Villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess I am just venting as I try to figure out what is best. If I don’t do this then it will be the end of April before we get down there.
I’m going to respond with an, “ If it were me,” answer.

No, If it were me, as a senior, I wouldn’t even think of making a 20 hour drive to Florida by myself right after getting my second Covid vaccination so I could turn around ten days later and make the 20 hour trip back up north by myself. And all of that just to spend ten days (without my spouse) in The Villages during a pandemic❗️

I could lay out my rationale for my decision but l was taught that if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

Last edited by talleyjm; 02-25-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: None
Old 02-26-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks, my wife has tests for me and our friend in the Villages can test me as well. I am basically isolated anyway and my wife, being a nurse, has been exposed a number of times.
Gotcha! It sounds like you're in the best of hands between your wife and your medical team and familiar with your state's quarantine process required upon your return.

Wishing you all the best, with whatever you decide- AND with your treatments!
Closed Thread

Tags
great, drive, wife, early, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.