Thinking of Moving to The Villages

Thinking of Moving to The Villages

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:28 PM

look at carry permits in villages i think i would head the other way.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerman View Post
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.
Congrats for taking the time to do a thorough search. I know some people who made the decision to move to TV based on what their friends told them over the phone or after just a few days of visiting esp during the winter.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.
I remember discussing this last July, see link below. If I moved to TV now, I couldn't afford it. I came in 2011 with $163K to spend on a new home and didn't want a mortgage. I bought a brand new masonry 2 BR CYV for $157K, today I would be looking in the $230K range. Probably would of done a reverse mortgage purchase or bought somewhere else.

The Village of Fenney?
Wow!
Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM

Default Wow!

Quote:
Possibly the silliest TOTV post ever. 2 of u extensive research, warning others, higher home prices only cause buyers are unaware, could you explain with your extensive research where in Florida or anywhere you can have the amenities TV offers for $145 per month?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Yes. I acted impulsively and have regretted it ever since. The Villages is terrible. Please stay away.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM

We have a place in the Villages, but our permanent home is in El Dorado Hills, Ca, a very upscale town 10 miles from Folsom prison. No crime to speak of, great schools, friendly hometown environment, with houses selling from 500k to 3M...if there was a problem living close to a prison, I don't think people would be rushing to buy here, paying over the asking price in a lot of cases. And, people wouldn't be rushing to the Villages either for many of the same reasons. I really don't think you did a thorough job in your research...there are a lot more factors to think of in considering where to move...and I think most Villagers are thrilled to have discovered such a great place to live at such a reasonable price. I don't think 100,000 Villagers could be that stupid.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
Look at carry permits in villages i think i would head the other way.
How do you look at them in TV, I can only find a state total? In the state of Florida there 1,784,395 at this very moment. With a population of 21.3 million that means about 1 in every 12 people have a concealed weapon, that's in the whole state.

The Villages on the smaller scale might have more concealed licenses on a whole because we have a large concentration of law-abiding citizens with clean records and prior military experience. How do I know that, we have the largest American Legion in the country and the VA opened a medical facility in TV because the Leesburg branch couldn't handle it, and within the first year I believe they fulfilled the compliment of 16,000 veterans. I feel safer in TV than anywhere else in Florida.

What if a nut case opened fire at one of the squares? I don't think it would happen because they would be out-numbered very quickly. They're mostly cowards who go to gun-free zones like schools to do their shooting. If you want to live in a gun-free state, I use to live in one it was called the State of Maryland, it was almost impossible to get a concealed weapon permit. When I lived there I would never go into Baltimore City unless I absolutely had business there or was in a large group of people.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage

Two pages of replies and no response from engineerman (OP)........drop the bait and run?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Sage

If you're worried about a prison break I can assure you that is not an everyday occurrence. There are a lot more bad guys that are not in prison.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Gold member

I played golf with Whitey Bulger today. He wanted to wager cigarettes but I don't smoke. I ended up losing two cups of Ramen Noodles and a bag if Fritos. He cheated but I let it slide for some reason.

Tags
villages, home, moving, prison, purchasing