Thoughts on other 55+ communities?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2020, 06:50 AM
Default Thoughts on other 55+ communities?

We have been to The Villages 3 or 4 times as my parents rent there every year...love it.

However, before we make the retirement plunge we want to feel 100% confident in our decision. Have other people checked out other popular retirement communities in Florida? We plan to look at: Solavita in Orlando, Lake Wood Ranch Sarasota, and Margaritaville in Daytona Beach.

We had a lifestyle visit planned in TV last spring, but had to cancel due to COVID. We will try again soon!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,216 Times in 1,953 Posts

I have been to On Top of the World in Ocala to visit family. IMHO, the feel of the community can not compare to The Villages. Must say, however, that you can get much more home there than you can here.

Remember though, The Villages is all about the lifestyle. On Top of the World is not about the lifestyle because there really is no lifestyle to speak of. Nada. I have not been to any other retirement community before we purchased here. We were sold the moment we drove along Buena Vista Blvd. at night.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have been to On Top of the World in Ocala to visit family. IMHO, the feel of the community can not compare to The Villages. Must say, however, that you can get much more home there than you can here.

Remember though, The Villages is all about the lifestyle. On Top of the World is not about the lifestyle because there really is no lifestyle to speak of. Nada. I have not been to any other retirement community before we purchased here. We were sold the moment we drove along Buena Vista Blvd. at night.

Hope that helps.
Ditto to Sun City Center between Tampa and Sarasota....much older community with not near the clubs and activities available---the only plus to it was the proximity to the beaches less than an hour away.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,360 Posts

Going to be hard to beat TVs, but give it a try.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,481 Posts

I would suggest coming down and rent for at least a month, get the feel of TV and then take day trips to some other communities to compare what they have to offer.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:46 AM

It is really dependent on what you are looking for. We did the same thing about 5 years ago and looked at a lot of places (both 55+ and regular communities). We came to the Villages on a whim and loved the place. The first week end we were here we just looked at each other with our mouths open. We couldn’t believe the size and scope of activities. After our first visit here we compared everything to the Villages. Nothing else compared.

I would have been happy with a smaller community with a golf course, but my wife wanted activities and she got that. The Villages is a 55+ community on steroids, it is incredible what is offered, IMHO. But some are turned off by the size and the developer. That is fine as there are plenty other places to look at and live in Florida.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:06 AM
Gold member

Solivita is nice, but on a much smaller scale than The Villages. Nice golf courses, but only two I believe. Plenty of activities too, but again, no comparison to the scale of The Villages. Worth considering.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:06 AM
Default Retiring to Lakewood Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Princess View Post
We have been to The Villages 3 or 4 times as my parents rent there every year...love it.

However, before we make the retirement plunge we want to feel 100% confident in our decision. Have other people checked out other popular retirement communities in Florida? We plan to look at: Solavita in Orlando, Lake Wood Ranch Sarasota, and Margaritaville in Daytona Beach.

We had a lifestyle visit planned in TV last spring, but had to cancel due to COVID. We will try again soon!
We lived in the Bradenton/Sarasota area for 30 years before moving to The Villages 3 years ago. Anything from the Tampa area south on the Gulf Coast is a mad house of people and traffic. We were so glad to get out and are very happy here.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:12 AM

What I loved from the beginning was how grandchildren friendly the Villages is. There is so much to do in and around but people who do not want to be around kids have a place also. Coming from a 55 plus community in West Chester Pa the experience was horrendous. When their grandkids were younger they were on board. As they came to the age that they didn’t visit the grandparents things got ugly quick. In short I love The Villages for that reason the welcoming atmosphere. But I would never go into a 55 plus again. And don’t get me started on HOA’s
Old 12-20-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,698 Times in 604 Posts

Most of the other 55+ communities offer "more home for the money" but, to me, TV is still an affordable place. When we lived in Atlanta, we vacationed in Florida many times and when we decided we'd retire here, we explored quite a few places. This is all in my opinion, and I don't mean to disparage any place, but it's my impression. For example-

Solavita - very nice community, a bit sketchy outside when you go to grocery, banks, etc.
High Vista - (near DIsney) , same as Solavita
Highway 27 - Royal Highlands, Leesburg of Legacy, Arlington Ridge, etc. All solid communities (you don't own the land in Royal Highlands) but reasonably far from service and Highway 27 is not ever a fun drive.
Lakewood Ranch - my very good friend lives there and he moved FROM The VIllages, but he was born out that way. He gave me a list of the pro and con and it seems pretty nice. My 2nd choice after TV. The various builders each build into a different neighborhoo (ie: Village) and the conglomeration makes up Lakewood Ranch - and each"villlage" can be quite different. Lots of shopping and services, but sometimes a bit further away.
Ocala/On Top of the World, Del Webb - again, nice community, but driving on Highway 200 in Ocala is a real grind. While touring Del Webb (pricey amenity fees), I asked the realtor "who is your biggest competitor" and he said "No question, The Villages, people either love it or hate it". We visited The VIllages next and loved it. We visited staying at a hotel, the took a lifestyle visit, and then bought a home. It's the right place or us.

Hadn't visited Margaritaville, that wasn't here when we were buying. We like to visit the beach, but don't want to live there.

Before buying here, I would advise staying/renting and learning your way around, it's a big community. Again, this is just me, but the "new area" south of highway 44 seems like a great setup for the community, but the services are lacking and will be for a couple/few years. I'm off highway 466A for 12 years now, and with Trailwinds, they're just now really catching up to the population size (Colony was so jam-packed, couldn't find a parking spot).

The Villages has so many activities and all the services are designed for 55+ and accessible. The entertainment is top notch, there are always art shows, craft shows, car shows, etc. The rec centers have exercise classes, pools, clubs. It's just a full menu that's safe, clean, affordable and beautiful - like living in a resort.

Best wishes.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I would suggest coming down and rent for at least a month, get the feel of TV and then take day trips to some other communities to compare what they have to offer.
That's what we did six years ago. I can't remember everywhere we visited, but the contrast between them and TV was clear. There is no denying you get more house for your money elsewhere, but we decided we didn't want just a house. We wanted a community.

In other communities, there was no-one on the streets. No dog walkers, bike riders, nothing.

For us, the choice was clear.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,711 Times in 3,183 Posts

I tried getting hubby to agree we should retire to a whole different state. West Virginia, New Mexico, or southern Arizona. He was against all three. He saw the Villages, decided he'd move there when he retired, and if I didn't want to go, he'd miss me. At another point during our "decision years" we had to move faster than previously thought due to a plant shut-down at his job. We were considering South Carolina to be closer to his sister. But he convinced me that it would be more beneficial to ME to be in the Villages, where there was a lot more to do as a retiree, and I wouldn't feel so isolated as I would in a house on 2 acres of land, not in walking distance to anything at all, and your nearest neighbors might fly the Rebel Flag.

So we agreed that we would move to Florida, but only if we could move to the Villages. No other place in Florida. I already lived in this state once, hated it with the burning passion of someone trying to walk on their hands through a bed of hot coals while needles are inserted into their fingernails. I still don't like Florida. I never will. But the Villages makes it tolerable.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Hi. I would not recommend anywhere near Orlando. Unless you like a lot of traffic. We lived in St Cloud first and it was between orlando and kississimee. Way different world then living here. We checked out margaritaville in Daytona. They only have one restaurant one stage and at that time only had entertainment on weekends. You have more options in the villages and more to do. Orlando place is way more expensive and Daytona Beach are is getting kinda bad with crime. Good Luvk
Old 12-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Gold member

The closer you come to the coast the more you pay for home owners insurance. Hurricane's are the culprit for the rise in these payments. Make sure you look into this.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:47 AM
John41

Quote:

We looked at Sun City Center, On Top of the World, Solavita a few others we can't remember and decided on The Villages for the quality, affordable CYV we bought and all the activities. But there are really two Villages, one North of 44 and one South so investigate carefully Turnpike noise, power lines, shopping and flood potential.
Closed Thread

Tags
communities, retirement, ranch, daytona, margaritaville

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.